GDT: Game 19: Jets @ Coyotes | FSAZ+ | 8PM (Yes 8PM)

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
He did, and I just used that as an example of something that could randomly happen. Knowing now he came back and played I'm upset. But when it happened, who knows. Maybe I'm wrong about being upset, but people yelling that at a guy that wasn't moving just touched me the wrong way.
If/when he comes back very quickly after that I get yelling, but yeah when someone is down like that not cool. TBF it may not have been a "fake injury" necessarily, maybe he just felt something and panicked. He's had so many knee problems I wonder if it takes him a few years to not think every little thing is a disaster.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
He did, and I just used that as an example of something that could randomly happen. Knowing now he came back and played I'm upset. But when it happened, who knows. Maybe I'm wrong about being upset, but people yelling that at a guy that wasn't moving just touched me the wrong way.
It’s all good. Not like it would’ve mattered anyways. We couldn’t win if we were up 5-0 to start the game.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
DM/Tip would be way more qualified to unwind this mess, if we had them still, we of course wouldn't be in this mess.

Andrew Barroway doesn't have the money to let any GM - Maloney, Chayka, or whoever else in the league - unwind this mess. We have to shuttle our ECHL-quality goalie between the big club and whatever limbo he's living in every so often to avoid cap floor penalties, so we certainly can't afford to sign quality players if, indeed, they were available in the first place. And given the way this team is playing, the only players that have trade value are the ones we can't trade.

So if you want to keep entertaining the idea that the roster and management that ran this team into the ground after 2012 would be playoff-caliber, more power to you. But it's not reality.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Andrew Barroway doesn't have the money to let any GM - Maloney, Chayka, or whoever else in the league - unwind this mess. We have to shuttle our ECHL-quality goalie between the big club and whatever limbo he's living in every so often to avoid cap floor penalties, so we certainly can't afford to sign quality players if, indeed, they were available in the first place. And given the way this team is playing, the only players that have trade value are the ones we can't trade.

So if you want to keep entertaining the idea that the roster and management that ran this team into the ground after 2012 would be playoff-caliber, more power to you. But it's not reality.
Reality is 2-14-3. The roster is much better now then the past few years, but the results are not. Yes, I would have way more faith in DM sorting this out and way more faith in a vet coach like Tip then I do Chayka/Tocc. When any business gets this messy, experience is very valuable. Have either Chayka or Tocc gone through something like this and figured out how to fix it? We aren't the only team with injuries and they knew what they had in Loui, a borderline NHL goal tender, before the season started.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Reality is 2-14-3. The roster is much better now then the past few years, but the results are not. Yes, I would have way more faith in DM sorting this out and way more faith in a vet coach like Tip then I do Chayka/Tocc. When any business gets this messy, experience is very valuable. Have either Chayka or Tocc gone through something like this and figured out how to fix it? We aren't the only team with injuries and they knew what they had in Loui, a borderline NHL goal tender, before the season started.

Was it a case of too much, too soon?

Assume that you are a player on the team in this offseason. The first thing that needs to be dealt with is Doan not returning and finding a replacement captain. That transition is already fairly interesting, but it probably means quite a bit to our team b/c of how much Doan meant and how few stable veterans we had. At this point, we hadn't added/subtracted players or coaches.

Then, we get the change up of a coach being out and within 48-96 hours of that happening, we changed up our entire team dynamic by adding some of those veterans.

Now, everyone is new, so there is not really a trusted voice to rely upon. The voices that we can rely upon ended he previous year injured (Richardson), still young (Domi), and/or away from the team (OEL).

Finally, we add a new coach that has the right message and ideas, but maybe that style didn't fit some of the additions that were made on this team.

I think that the lack of some measure of stability has brought us to a real crossroads, and that's what is making it tough to claw out of. Maybe this was where I was hoping that we could keep Tippett for one more year so that we could see exactly where this went. Yes, that may mean keeping Smith. Maybe Murphy gets dealt anyhow, and maybe we add Stepan as well, but not Raanta. If we were at this record with Tippett in charge, then I could agree with the idea that we needed to move on. I think we would have seen a team that is probably in the 11-15 point range right now. Speculation on my part, but there would have been just enough familiarity going forward that this adjustment wouldn't have as much difficulty. It probably still would have gotten Tip fired, as he wouldn't get us to the playoffs, and we would be a 75-84 point team. I think we would be more prepared on the defensive end for the future, though.

Reactions: Jakey53

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Watched this game at the arena... solid enough atmosphere but I also got that feeling as the game went on that the Yotes didn't have the offensive push to come back once they were down. Missed some open nets and passed on some shots at times.

To me, Domi is really struggling to score. Like someone else said, he gets solid chances but makes a mistake on some of them and then when he does get a good shot off, the goalie makes a solid save. Looks like he is fighting it out there...the definition of a slump, imo.

Also echoing what has been said, the team needs more contributions from the "vets" here. Can't depend on Keller for all of the offense always. Guys like Stepan, Domi, etc etc have to produce. Speaking of, I think this team could really use a proven second/1st line scorer to help out in that regard (maybe).

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Watched this game at the arena... solid enough atmosphere but I also got that feeling as the game went on that the Yotes didn't have the offensive push to come back once they were down. Missed some open nets and passed on some shots at times.

Still on a historically unprecedented bad pace when scoring first, 2-9-2, .154. And no team has scored first more than we have, 13 times, win or lose. Weird.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Still on a historically unprecedented bad pace when scoring first, 2-9-2, .154. And no team has scored first more than we have, 13 times, win or lose. Weird.

Yea! The fact that this team loses so much after scoring the first goal is just... I've never seen it before. As you said, it's unprecedented.

And the fact that the team can score first so often is kind of heartbreaking because it hasn't led to any success haha! Normally warrants much more success but it just leads to a lot of frustration right now.

I just want to get some good results here and there. Getting kinda sick of every time a friend talks to me and they ask "oh how did the game go?" and it's always "well they lost again.". I still think this team is better than the results they are getting.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

To me, Domi is really struggling to score. Like someone else said, he gets solid chances but makes a mistake on some of them and then when he does get a good shot off, the goalie makes a solid save. Looks like he is fighting it out there...the definition of a slump, imo.

Also echoing what has been said, the team needs more contributions from the "vets" here. Can't depend on Keller for all of the offense always. Guys like Stepan, Domi, etc etc have to produce. Speaking of, I think this team could really use a proven second/1st line scorer to help out in that regard (maybe).

If either one of Domi, or Richardson scores on just 50% of their quality chances this game - we win - all else equal.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Yea! The fact that this team loses so much after scoring the first goal is just... I've never seen it before. As you said, it's unprecedented.

Yeah, I think it was SniperHF that said something that made me think to go look it up, but it's unreal.

NHL.com - Stats

That's *all time*.

And the fact that the team can score first so often is kind of heartbreaking because it hasn't led to any success haha! Normally warrants much more success but it just leads to a lot of frustration right now.

Yup, usually teams that score first win 2 out of 3. So if we weren't so spectacularly bad playing with a 1-0 lead we'd have 8-9 wins already :laugh:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

It's been a long while, but there was a season a few years ago where you KNEW the Coyotes would come back in any given game if they got behind, and if they got a lead they would hold it.

This season, it's been the polar opposite. No matter how big a lead we get, I KNOW that the Coyotes are going to lose it... and with it, the game. It's become a virtual certainty. That more than anything else is what is souring me on this year's team.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Yeah, I think it was SniperHF that said something that made me think to go look it up, but it's unreal.

NHL.com - Stats

That's *all time*.

Yup, usually teams that score first win 2 out of 3. So if we weren't so spectacularly bad playing with a 1-0 lead we'd have 8-9 wins already :laugh:

Such an insane stat. Having to go to PAGE 31 out of that report to find this year's Coyotes at the bottom is absolutely mind boggling. With such teams as the 1930 Philly Quakers in there. Ps the 92-93 Sharks AND Sens are on there too...bad year lol.

If either one of Domi, or Richardson scores on just 50% of their quality chances this game - we win - all else equal.

Indeed! That's what is also frustrating about this all. The wins are right there in the Coyote's reach. It's like the dollar on a fishing pole of this team.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
It's been a long while, but there was a season a few years ago where you KNEW the Coyotes would come back in any given game if they got behind, and if they got a lead they would hold it.

This season, it's been the polar opposite. No matter how big a lead we get, I KNOW that the Coyotes are going to lose it... and with it, the game. It's become a virtual certainty. That more than anything else is what is souring me on this year's team.

I remember exactly what you're talkin about. Felt the same way and getting that feeling now about the losses. Trying to trick myself into believing the opposite though! haha

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Yep - this is the area of coaching that needs the most work. We have to know that teams that are down will press at certain points, so why make it easy for them by trying to continue to go up-tempo and placing ourselves in bad position if we don't manage to pile on goals? There are plenty of mistakes that the other team will make by pressing, and we can capitalize on them. We are not helping ourselves when we make it easy for the other team to play against us.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Winnipeg fan here...harmlessly lurking, 'cause I followed the Coyotes from before they were the Coyotes...

No disrespect meant, but a few posters have said he came back and played. He did not. He came back, and didn't play another shift for the rest of the game. He did a little test-loop on the ice during a break in the action, but he just sat on the bench.

I don't want to ruin the narrative surrounding the game, and I wouldn't ordinarily, but I just thought I'd let you know because you say you're upset. For what it's worth, Myers played only 11 games last year, and there was some speculation that his "lower body injury" last year was career-threatening.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Winnipeg fan here...harmlessly lurking, 'cause I followed the Coyotes from before they were the Coyotes...

No disrespect meant, but a few posters have said he came back and played. He did not. He came back, and didn't play another shift for the rest of the game. He did a little test-loop on the ice during a break in the action, but he just sat on the bench.

I don't want to ruin the narrative surrounding the game, and I wouldn't ordinarily, but I just thought I'd let you know because you say you're upset. For what it's worth, Myers played only 11 games last year, and there was some speculation that his "lower body injury" last year was career-threatening.

Thanks for the info. Players don't usually fake injuries but at the time it did look like he faked it. Unfortunately, I don't see Myers long for the NHL.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Yep - this is the area of coaching that needs the most work. We have to know that teams that are down will press at certain points, so why make it easy for them by trying to continue to go up-tempo and placing ourselves in bad position if we don't manage to pile on goals? There are plenty of mistakes that the other team will make by pressing, and we can capitalize on them. We are not helping ourselves when we make it easy for the other team to play against us.
The Coyotes scoring first could be because other teams are taking us lightly, how could they not with our record. Once we score, our opponent starts playing harder and we get exposed. We also, unlike in years past, don't play a defensive oriented system that limits turnovers and make safer plays. When our opponent presses, we try to press back versus playing a safer game and relying on their turnovers to generate chances. It's almost like we skipped a step as a team in that we haven't learned how to make safe plays consistently but we gamble on stretch passes all the time.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The Coyotes scoring first could be because other teams are taking us lightly, how could they not with our record. Once we score, our opponent starts playing harder and we get exposed. We also, unlike in years past, don't play a defensive oriented system that limits turnovers and make safer plays. When our opponent presses, we try to press back versus playing a safer game and relying on their turnovers to generate chances. It's almost like we skipped a step as a team in that we haven't learned how to make safe plays consistently but we gamble on stretch passes all the time.

I think it's gotten better, but you are most certainly correct. I wouldn't call being safe a defensive oriented system though, just intelligent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad