GDT: Game 19: Columbus vs. Montreal | 11/15 7PM EST

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
My only impression leaving the arena was that GMJK has to make a move. With Gaborik out and Horton still at least a month away, there is no scoring on this club whatsoever. Sorry, but Jenner and Calvert while welcomed back, are foot soldiers not scorers. Both goals tonight were flukey. I think it is time to trade some defense for offense.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Color me the optimist but I keep seeing us improving. As Kev22 said, both of our goals tonight were kinda flukes especially the 2nd one. But I think we all know how much Nick Foligno means to the team, its night and day when he's in the lineup. I don't think we need to make a move, I think we need to stay in the hunt until we can get our big guns back (Gaborik, Horton) then propel us to make our run for the playoffs in around late January when the boys returning can get their feet under them and get adjusted with new linemates. Stay the course, but make a move if it improves the team obviously.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
They are working hard, but the LOFT keeps us from scoring, even against all of the backups we see. Move one of our awesome D-men now, while the pack is still in sight.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2013/11/game-19-habs-then-huff.html

Afterwards, Richards took dead aim at the young, skilled players in the lineup. He indicated he is getting ready to use his one, big hammer – ice time – at first opportunity. He will have that opportunity when forwards Boone Jenner, Matt Calvert and Nathan Horton regain their health.

We have those? :laugh: At first read I thought he was putting this on CAM & Joey but I guess Arty is still young too. Other than that who is he talking about and how does taking them out of the line -up help things?

IBleedUnionBlue

Aug 16, 2009
No Tyutin still should have bodied Galchenyuk there. It would have been better if Johansen didn't send a bouncer back to Tyutin, but realistically forwards ask their d-men to handle pucks all the time, and Tyutin didn't do it. (Galchenyuk was 15 or so feet away when the puck was sent to Tyutin) Either get the puck right or get Galchenyuk, and he got neither. (Though Tyutin's been good this year, so I'm not doggin him.)

I don't get Richards calling out Johansen there. That's a normal play, and he'll call out the young players for that but won't call out veterans for much worse?

I disagree with you. Coach Richards does also. But we are all welcome to our opinion.

fox2usp

Inbred Cat
Jul 2, 2008
Pumpkinville, Ohio
No Tyutin still should have bodied Galchenyuk there. It would have been better if Johansen didn't send a bouncer back to Tyutin, but realistically forwards ask their d-men to handle pucks all the time, and Tyutin didn't do it. (Galchenyuk was 15 or so feet away when the puck was sent to Tyutin) Either get the puck right or get Galchenyuk, and he got neither. (Though Tyutin's been good this year, so I'm not doggin him.)

I don't get Richards calling out Johansen there. That's a normal play, and he'll call out the young players for that but won't call out veterans for much worse?

Happened right in front of me. Myself, my buddy, and everybody else in our section couldn't believe Joey took a pass from Tyutin, and chose to pass it right back instead of dumping it in. There was 10 seconds left on the clock for goodness sakes. That was all on Joey. Stupid on his part. Richards was correct.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Color me the optimist but I keep seeing us improving. As Kev22 said, both of our goals tonight were kinda flukes especially the 2nd one. But I think we all know how much Nick Foligno means to the team, its night and day when he's in the lineup. I don't think we need to make a move, I think we need to stay in the hunt until we can get our big guns back (Gaborik, Horton) then propel us to make our run for the playoffs in around late January when the boys returning can get their feet under them and get adjusted with new linemates. Stay the course, but make a move if it improves the team obviously.

I appreciate your optimism but this team can't hold on that long. We are lucky to score two goals per game. If they try to wait a month, we'll be out of the picture. Hell, they may be out of it after this road trip. We are that inept offensively. IMO, I would be fine trading Jack Johnson if the return was right. Calvert and Jenner are not the offensive answers to our scoring problems.

On the bright side, Ryan Murray is now officially our best dman. I believe he led the team in ice time (actually 19 seconds short) and was put out in all situations. He is going to make someone in the top four expendable. That's a good thing.

Last edited:

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I appreciate your optimism but this team can't hold on that long. We are lucky to score two goals per game. If they try to wait a month, we'll be out of the picture. Hell, they may be out of it after this road trip.

You're right, they certainly could play themselves out of it on this trip. On the other hand, they're only two points behind Philly and the Islanders and three behind New Jersey, with one less game played. They've gotten points in the last four games, though they've left plenty on the table and given an extra point to Eastern Conference competition. A good road trip could put them back in the hunt in time for the debut of Horton and the return of Gaborik. Likely? I'm not putting money on it, but it wouldn't be the first time a team coalesced on a long road trip.

Last night was frustrating because they finally got lucky - RJ flung a soft shot on goal and it glanced off a skate and through Budaj, while Arty's goal was so fluky it should have happened against us! Still, they competed hard and held a very fast and dangerous offense in check. Curtis is proving to be a very serviceble backup and Letestu, Chaput, and Comeau stepped up their games considerably. To me, this is not the Same Old Jackets. If they can stay in striking distance for the next few weeks, I'll not be surpirsed to see them put on a bigtime push after the first of the year. In fact, I'll be very disappointed if they don't!

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
So, how many points out of a playoff spot are we now?

Can't wait for the Feel Good Brigade to show up and tell us that our last-place hockey team is actually really good.

Surpizingly we are not in too bad shape being in the lethargic Metro division.. but we are still a solid four wins out of contention.. if they can go 5-0 on this road trip all will be fine.. :)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think we'll know where we stand by the time the Preds come to town on the 25th. This 5 game road trip will show if this teams is bunch of men or a bunch of muppets.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Happened right in front of me. Myself, my buddy, and everybody else in our section couldn't believe Joey took a pass from Tyutin, and chose to pass it right back instead of dumping it in. There was 10 seconds left on the clock for goodness sakes. That was all on Joey. Stupid on his part. Richards was correct.

Cam learned a tough one the other night, Joey learned one last night.

youth = mistakes = learning. it's called developing. it's what happens with 20/21 year olds

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
To me, this is not the Same Old Jackets.

The eye test and roster test would support this, as would hopefulness engendered by a transition in leadership and the excitement of last year's chase.

However, in too many instances the results support the SOJ theory. I need more proof.

Last edited:

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
I appreciate your optimism but this team can't hold on that long. We are lucky to score two goals per game. If they try to wait a month, we'll be out of the picture. Hell, they may be out of it after this road trip. We are that inept offensively. IMO, I would be fine trading Jack Johnson if the return was right. Calvert and Jenner are not the offensive answers to our scoring problems.

On the bright side, Ryan Murray is now officially our best dman. I believe he led the team in ice time (actually 19 seconds short) and was put out in all situations. He is going to make someone in the top four expendable. That's a good thing.

I agree. This team is inept offensively. We need more scoring punch, even when Gabby and Horton return. I think another loss tomorrow will prompt a move. More offense please!

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Cam learned a tough one the other night, Joey learned one last night.

youth = mistakes = learning. it's called developing. it's what happens with 20/21 year olds
This
Everyone here is entirely to impatient. We need to wait another month until we have most of our town intact, play another month with (hopefully ) a mostly healthy team. If then and only then do you start talking real deals.

Last year was was a nice little preview of what could be, but this is a different team, who needs to take steps forward and grow and learn. We're a young team going through growing pains. Growing pains don't usually require surgery (trades)

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Our saving grace this year is that we are in the Metro division. If we were in the Central right now, I have a feeling that we'd be already too far behind the 8-ball.

With the slow start of the other Metro teams, we are still only 5 points out of a playoff position. That's not bad seeing as we're sitting in 27th place league-wide. At this point, I'm just hoping they tread water on this road trip (.500 record), and get Jenner and Calvert back into the lineup.

Like Pete, I'm still optimistic this team can start to put together a push after that. Hopefully, Horton will provide a spark on his return.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Jenner and Calvert have a combined 2 goals this season, getting them back will not be the answer to the scoring problem.

No, but they are critical to the aggressive forecheck system that this team is designed to play. That system, when executed properly, wears down the other teams defense, creates turnovers and opens up more chances for the shooters like Anisimov.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
No, but they are critical to the aggressive forecheck system that this team is designed to play. That system, when executed properly, wears down the other teams defense, creates turnovers and opens up more chances for the shooters like Anisimov.
Ding Ding Ding.

They both seem to have everlasting motors that never stop. Having a highly effective energy line wears out the opposing team. Right now we only have 4 grinder lines. No energy lines. No scoring lines.

thebus2288*

Just now seeing that goal, that's not Johansen's fault at all. All on Tyutin with a dash of Nikitin. Bouncing a bit yes but it was going slow enough and he had plenty of time. He's gotta be harder on his stick and hook the **** outta him before he gets in clean. Nikitin pretty much gave up on it. He had to of been within stick reach when Galchenyuk shoots it. Why not put a stick on him!?! **** a firm poke in the back could've easily thrown him off enough to miss. Mac didn't look very good on it either. 1 main issue I have with him is he seems to get too deep in his net often.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Just now seeing that goal, that's not Johansen's fault at all. All on Tyutin with a dash of Nikitin. Bouncing a bit yes but it was going slow enough and he had plenty of time. He's gotta be harder on his stick and hook the **** outta him before he gets in clean. Nikitin pretty much gave up on it. He had to of been within stick reach when Galchenyuk shoots it. Why not put a stick on him!?! **** a firm poke in the back could've easily thrown him off enough to miss. Mac didn't look very good on it either. 1 main issue I have with him is he seems to get too deep in his net often.

McIlhinney gets no blame for last night from me. He's the only reason that game wasn't 8-2. Tyutin was pretty bad last night and that play was the worst.

JrussJacket

May 26, 2004
Twitter @jrusscbj

Tyutin should have done more, but seriously how can you not fault Johan there also!? Terrible decision on his part, should have dumped it or moved it up the ice. But instead passes it back FT bobbles it and its in net.

thebus2288*

You cant fault him for trusting Tyutin to handle a slow regroup pass with both d-men back and essentially nobody forechecking on him. Tyutin was slow in his decision to control the puck, slow to make a play with it, and slow to react to anything Galchenyuk was doing. Montreal was actually in mid change. What happens if Tyutin controls it, throws it d to d to Nikitin and we break back into their zone and get a quality chance or even a goal? Then it would be "Oh Johansen with such a smart veteran play, most young guys would just dump it in".

Can't focus all on the results of the play as hard as it is.

JrussJacket

May 26, 2004
Twitter @jrusscbj
You cant fault him for trusting Tyutin to handle a slow regroup pass with both d-men back and essentially nobody forechecking on him. Tyutin was slow in his decision to control the puck, slow to make a play with it, and slow to react to anything Galchenyuk was doing. Montreal was actually in mid change. What happens if Tyutin controls it, throws it d to d to Nikitin and we break back into their zone and get a quality chance or even a goal? Then it would be "Oh Johansen with such a smart veteran play, most young guys would just dump it in".

Can't focus all on the results of the play as hard as it is.

Disagree man. Take a look at how many times we have been scored on in the last minute of the game this season. In a situation like that, having just recieved the puck from Tyutin, he should have continued to move the puck up the ice and dump it in. Thus preventing the Canadians from having any opportunity to have a chance at even a shot on goal. Coach Richards said the samething. One thing we can agree on, Tyutin should have hulled Gally down or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad