GDT: Game 19 - Caps @ Avs - 7PM 11/16 - We Want Their Cup

member 116861

While I agree that Zadorov should be playing, I also trust Bednar. The difference between Zadorov and Nemeth won't be the reason we win/lose. You need starpower in this league and depth players really don't mean too much so it all depends on Rantanen's line as it usually does.

Reactions: RockyMtnRedhawk

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
It’s like Bednar is taking Mr Miyagi’s wax on wax off approach to Daniel son here and he’s going to give him the nod when it’s time to kick the bad guy’s asses. Hope it works

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Zadorov missed his coverage on Pasternaks goal by a mile. I don't think he should be sat, but I think it has a lot more to do with Bednar having higher expectations of him, and nothing to do with 1 penalty.

Reactions: 5280

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Maybe Zads isn't responding with the right attitude?

Would hope Zads has a longer rope and they get him to mentor with Cole. Rather than benching him.

But what do I know besides how to spell MacGinnon.

Reactions: missionAvs

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Zadorov missed his coverage on Pasternaks goal by a mile. I don't think he should be sat, but I think it has a lot more to do with Bednar having higher expectations of him, and nothing to do with 1 penalty.

I think it has a lot to do with higher expectations for Z. That's usually why he's so tough on him.

He wasn't the biggest reason for that Pasternak goal though. It's as much on Soda for leaving Krejci wide open, or Cole for not blocking the slap pass through the box. Both of them should have been in better position to get a stick on that puck.

That's also just an outstanding play by highly talented players. A one time slap pass like that right to Pasternak who one touches it into the net. Z was just a hair late though in coming down on Pasternak's stick. Not that egregious IMO.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Maybe Bednar who lives and breathes the Avs and spends all day with the players has somewhat of an idea how to handle them. He doesn't strike me as an unreasonable person.

This is true, but like all coaches he's capable of making a mistake, or breaking out the belt too often. I think it should hopefully be ok this time around, but I don't think he can do this every year like he has been with Z. Eventually it will start to backfire.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
This is true, but like all coaches he's capable of making a mistake, or breaking out the belt too often. I think it should hopefully be ok this time around, but I don't think he can do this every year like he has been with Z. Eventually it will start to backfire.
You have to admit, though, that he has a pretty good track record except for having to deal with the afterroy implosion that was two years ago. Even though we gave up points we shouldn’t have in Western Canada and lost five games in a row we are still in a better position than we were at the same time last year. This team seems to be playing the most sustainably good hockey that I have seen in years. I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, here.

Last edited:

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
I said it in the trade rumors forum. Z seems disinterested. He isn't the enforcer he was last year and that's a problem.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
That's exactly what I'm seeing. Someone who's lost the intensity and desire they had last year. If its a result of him being on the 3rd pair he better re-adjust his approach. You gotta prove the coaches wrong w/ your play instead of moping around.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Beyond upset that we have both Nemeth and Barberio playing over Z. So ridiculous. Z, for whatever dumb penalties and defensive gaffes he makes, is much better and more talented than either of these scrubs.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You have to admit, though, that he has a pretty good track record except for having to deal with the afterroy implosion that was two years ago. Even though we gave up points we shouldn’t have in Western Canada and lost five games in a row we are still in a better position than we were at the same time last year. This team seems to be playing the most sustainably good hockey that I have seen in years. I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, here.

Yeah he's done a great job and deserves some rope on player usage. Even if he's employing a strong double standard for who gets held accountable for playing poorly.

If he drags this out though and keeps Z in the stands, that rope will get shorter and shorter in my book. If they go on another multi game losing streak any time soon, I think it will be fair to question whether he's handling the room well or not.

Reactions: 5280 and CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I said it in the trade rumors forum. Z seems disinterested. He isn't the enforcer he was last year and that's a problem.

IMO you may be confusing disinterested, with playing solid steady D that isn't flashy. That's the way he's played for a couple weeks now. He talked recently about how not every game is one where he can run around and look for big hits. He has to let the game come to him and pick his spots. That's a sign of maturity.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
He has a hand injury. He was looking for fights for a while, and I think he aggravated it. He's very much an enforcer, and lands huge hits every game.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
"Two of the best players in the world, the two leading scorers in the NHL..."

Everything else aside, I can't believe the Avs are in that situation today. Just unreal.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad