GDT: Game 19 - Caps @ Avs - 7PM 11/16 - We Want Their Cup

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Anxiously expecting that bottom pair to get burned all night long.
It's home ice, so Bednar can control their matchups for the most part. As long as he keeps them away from that top six they should be fine against that iffy bottom six.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
It's home ice, so Bednar can control their matchups for the most part. As long as he keeps them away from that top six they should be fine against that iffy bottom six.
And with 2 of their Top 6 out they only have Ovi and Backstrom left. And those two will have their hands full defending Mikko's line.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Defending Vrana off the rush is a concern. Zadorov doesn't get beat wide very often. Nemeth and Barberio do.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Its not so much that I think Zads is good. He hasn't been good often this year. Its how bad Nemeth and Barbie are. And EJ is pooping the bed nightly so they can't really ride the top 4 too hard either.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Its not so much that I think Zads is good. He hasn't been good often this year. Its how bad Nemeth and Barbie are. And EJ is pooping the bed nightly so they can't really ride the top 4 too hard either.
Its not much but Z was our best defender during that recent stretch of shit hockey. Now hes eating nachos. Accountability would be nice that's all.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think the timing makes sense to sit Varly given how much he's played lately, but I wonder how he feels about it? It's Grubauer's first game against his old team, but Varly loves playing against Washington.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
And with 2 of their Top 6 out they only have Ovi and Backstrom left. And those two will have their hands full defending Mikko's line.
Well, Backstrom will :laugh:

P4ovjdi.gif

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I guess I need to mention once again that the Nemeth-Barberio pairing was actually an effective shutdown pairing, however unlikely that was, during the 10-game winning streak last season. They petered out eventually but it worked for a short time. I don't think it's necessarily gonna be a disaster unless either (or both of them) play as poorly as they have in earlier stints this season.

I really, really don't like this move and I think it's a potentially terrible mistake, but seriously...

299x223px-ll-52e196e1_lighten_up_francis.jpg

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Also, it's hilarious to me that when Nieto goes out, Bednar is so rigidly opposed to putting offensive wingers on Soderberg's line that he gives it to Kam instead. Good for Kam, I'd love to see what that line can do, but Bednar really, really, really does not want to put anybody but 4th liners with Soda.
Hes been injured quite a while. Probably just wants to start him on the fourth to limit his icetime.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I'll be honest. Just got an alert that Ghetto was back in the lineup tonight. I literally just traded him earlier today in my NHL 19 GM mode. You're all welcome.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
On the bright side at least we know that Nieto isn’t immune to nacho duty

I'll be honest. Just got an alert that Ghetto was back in the lineup tonight. I literally just traded him earlier today in my NHL 19 GM mode. You're all welcome.

Can you do me a favor and trade JTC now?

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Very frustrating to see Zadorov constantly getting made held to account, when there are other players, like Wilson, who are repeatedly being complimented by Bednar. The guy earns 4 million this season, and has 7 points in 18 games, on our 2nd line.

Zadorov effectively helped shut down McDavid against The Oilers.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Very frustrating to see Zadorov constantly getting made held to account, when there are other players, like Wilson, who are repeatedly being complimented by Bednar. The guy earns 4 million this season, and has 7 points in 18 games, on our 2nd line.

Zadorov effectively helped shut down McDavid against The Oilers.

Can you imagine being one of, if not the best Av defenseman while so many players are making unnecessary mistakes during a five game losing streak, then shutting down the best player in the world with really good defensive play for three periods, and then you get benched the next game for a borderline interference penalty, and scratched the next?

giphy.gif

Last edited:

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Crazy that Z is benched. I have to think Bednar thinks this approach is better for the long haul, because I don’t think he’s stupid enough to think both Nemeth and Barberio are better options.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
I like Zadorov, the penalty was terrible but he's certainly not the first person to do that this season alone, and maybe a little regression from last year but he's not playing poorly and I'm not worried when he's on the ice similar to the way I am when I see Barberio. I don't agree with him sitting, but I'm not a coach so whatever I can't really argue it.

The bright side is with Kuz/Oshie/Holtby out we have a very very very solid chance of winning this game if they show up to play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad