Post-Game Talk: Game 19 - B's lose a heartbreaker in OT - Dallas 1 BRUINS 0 F/OT

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
It doesn't take skill or even grit to stand up for yourself or your teammates. What it takes is balls. Plenty of hard workers on this team. Real proud of the way they hustle and try to compete. Unfortunately there are several players on the team who need to grow a set and realize if they are not able to produce then they need to contribute in other ways. The refs clearly are not doing much to protect the boys. The coach is mainly interested in working his gum, not the refs during games. It's time for several of these guys to step up and do what's needed. It's also time for the GM to get off his ass and do something to improve the team. Yes, the D is deep (especially with plenty of bottom 4 players), the goalie position is solid, and the first line is awesome. That's not enough to make a deep playoff run even if everyone is healthy. Not sure why it is acceptable to have so much redundancy in the bottom 9 with non-skill guys who are unwilling to step up to the mark and show some balls. Again, I love all these guys and appreciate that they play hard, but some of them need to be sent packing if they do not want to step up.
This is theorique. Some guys will have that little nasty that will make some thinking. Domi in Motreal is one of them.

But beleiving Marchand can stand for himselve against Wilson of Washington is bs. Vegas got Reaves to get him. Bruins can't respond to that physical abuse.

You can ask Bergeron, Marchand and or Pastrnak to respond and lose them for 5 maybe 10 and/or an extension time for injury.

I played the game. I played physical and i can say i was way bigger with the presence of some of our guy. Same in the NHL.

With. Mcquaid guy... they were bigger. With Miller, Chara, Lucic, etc.. they were huge! Game changes but that aspect won't. Don't need to fight, run the opponents best if they run yours!

Reactions: hrdpuk and Ladyfan

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Krejci is playing really well this year. For those that soured on him - try to watch him play with fresh eyes as he's doing most everything people have been clamouring for over the past few seasons. Engaged, battling, skating - needs to shoot more but it looks like he's lost a bit of confidence in his shot - but he's playing as well as he has in years.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
They weren’t sucker punches, krug came up from behind polak and grabbed him by the head and started engaging him. Polak just dropped the gloves and bagged him. It’s not like Polak was seeking out krug, Krug brought this upon himself for the way he tries pulling away polak to begin with by grabbing him by the head

Fair enough but I guarantee he wouldn’t have taken that approach with Chara or Miller.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Backes wasn't bad last year. In between his freak injuries, he was actually very productive and the 3rd line was good.

agreed... not bad last year

but as his biggest supporter and a huge fan of the signing and someone that was joansing for his acquisition for many years... I cant actually say hes been 'good' either... he hasn't yet given us what we need for his cap hit... he hasn't yet given us the play that his supporters like myself were expecting from him

im going to give the guy a break and say its been mostly injury related struggles... but I think that's what his distractors were worried about when we signed him. honestly I thought the style of game he played would be more immune to such a drastic drop off in play.

a small part of me still expects a dustin brown type bounce back at some point... a return at least to the play he was giving us in December and January last year... but its not going to be good enough to justify that cap hit on this team going forward.

breaks my heart... we need the toughness/grit on this team that the old backes used to deliver in spades. hes one of my all time favorite players. I wanted it to work out on boston so bad... but the team comes before the player.

I hope at this point he shows enough life before then end of the year that we are able to actually deal him this summer.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Fair enough but I guarantee he wouldn’t have taken that approach with Chara or Miller.

Miller maybe, he would have got bagged by miller, but no one really fights chara lol. No one can handle charas reach and fighting ability

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I don't agree. Adam being on the team won't prevent everything but he will stand up for his team mates ...perhaps more than any player I can think of. He is also great on the PK and shows up for the playoffs.

I believe some players would think twice about abusing players when Quaider is on the team.

ive just heard sooooo many players talk over the years and I honestly don't think you are right about this 'think twice' stuff. some guys will always look over their shoulders and will always think twice but they do that no matter who is on the ice. some guys just don't want to fight and they probably would be more worried if some hulk was out there. if a guy is a bit of a coward to begin with... hes a bigger coward with a monster to worry about

there are many nhl players who tell themselves they might get hit with 100 mile per hour hockey pucks... or clubbed with wood sticks... slashed... bashed head first into the boards by 25 mile per hour 200 pound guided missils… slip and crash on to the ice all night long... end up with bruises on top of bruises on top of bruises... but get paid 750 000 dollars a year for doing this instead of the 40-50k they might make at some other job they would be stuck doing instead

these guys realize they will lose their jobs if they don't play the right way... and since they aren't guys who can score goals they need to be energized out there every shift... go to the dirty areas... scrum... hit... and if necessary fight when a fight is called for.

I have never ever heard any of this type of player ever... say... yeah I was intimidated by so-and-so. I might take liberties when lyndon byers was on the ice but when jay miller was out there I had to shake in my boots...

I mean I used to watch georges laraque follow milan lucic around trying to get a fight... lucic didn't drop the gloves because that would have been stupid but he played his game and continued to crush people.

ulf Samuelsson and claude Lemieux were not fighters... but I never once saw them intimidated by our big bad teams. they gooned it up against us regularly

I will be honest... when I go to a bar and some potential fight is about to happen... I think twice. I avoid fights at bars with every ounce of potential I can. it really doesn't matter who the fight might be with. im not a fighter...

but I have a few friends {luckily not too many} who don't give a crap who they are fighting with or even how many. they get into that environment and they will take a beating for the privledge of being allowed to run their mouths. these idiots aren't even being paid a million dollar salary. they are just a certain type of typical man who feels he needs to throw his weight around in that situation and damn the consequences.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Miller maybe, he would have got bagged by miller, but no one really fights chara lol. No one can handle charas reach and fighting ability

chara is obviously a difficult guy to fight... but for all of our talk about how strong he is and how big he is... can anyone here ever remember a beat down he put on anyone?

I like chara because he can grab anyone he wants and neutralize them... but as an intimidating enforcer that other people really fear will send them to the hospital for repairs??? I just don't see it...

I think they don't fight chara more out of respect for his position as a superstar and a good overall guy then any actual fear of being left in a corner behind the dumpster

Reactions: Hamilton Brian

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
Krejci is playing really well this year. For those that soured on him - try to watch him play with fresh eyes as he's doing most everything people have been clamouring for over the past few seasons. Engaged, battling, skating - needs to shoot more but it looks like he's lost a bit of confidence in his shot - but he's playing as well as he has in years.
I thought he looked pretty good last night. Just not a lot of payout for the effort.

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
chara is obviously a difficult guy to fight... but for all of our talk about how strong he is and how big he is... can anyone here ever remember a beat down he put on anyone?

I like chara because he can grab anyone he wants and neutralize them... but as an intimidating enforcer that other people really fear will send them to the hospital for repairs??? I just don't see it...

I think they don't fight chara more out of respect for his position as a superstar and a good overall guy then any actual fear of being left in a corner behind the dumpster
Not when he played for us, but I remember when he rag-dolled Bryan McCabe in a Sens-Leafs tilt. But I guess that really wasn't a beat down. It was more of a "don't be so stupid" toss-around.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Backes , and its not his fault is done. buy him out please and put him out of our misery.Sad to watch this guy at this point

The only time I saw him was when he was talking to the refs because the other captains that are in the top scoring categories are having to sitck up for one another and then sit in the box.

4th line is a wasted line start to finish so far this year.
3rd line needs a whole year together as BJ-JFK-DH to learn and grow chemistry.
2nd line needs a NHL 2nd line RW.
1st line needs to have a 4th line that sticks up for them, a 3rd line that can eat minutes and contribute once a week and a 2nd line that can score once a game.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

This.

Every team knows this. The worst kept secret in the NHL. Go after the top line and the other lines will not only ignore you, but they will ignore trying to put that black disc-looking thing into the net.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the 2nd-4th lines of the Bruins are like HF Boards members; if you do something the don't like to the top line they will simply put you on ignore rather than engage you.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I thought he looked pretty good last night. Just not a lot of payout for the effort.

The top line is getting a lot of well-deserved accolades but Krejci's been playing fantastic this year -after those first few games.

- for those that aren't a fan of his - Slow it down and watch what he's doing out there because shift in/shift out he's the best player on the ice when he's out there.

I don't carry Krejci's water - just realizing how well he's playing. #1C level good. Just needs to shoot more.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
This.

Every team knows this. The worst kept secret in the NHL. Go after the top line and the other lines will not only ignore you, but they will ignore trying to put that black disc-looking thing into the net.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the 2nd-4th lines of the Bruins are like HF Boards members; if you do something the don't like to the top line they will simply put you on ignore rather than engage you.

I'm a big proponent of Grit. This roster of The Bruins needs more. Lose a game or two because of a misconduct or something but set the tone. In the long run it helps.

You're in Vancouver and I think we both know where this kind of roster is headed as it's getting too similar to the Canuck teams of those years (minus the biter and all the other crap)

The Bruins should be better than that.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
The top line is getting a lot of well-deserved accolades but Krejci's been playing fantastic this year -after those first few games.

- for those that aren't a fan of his - Slow it down and watch what he's doing out there because shift in/shift out he's the best player on the ice when he's out there.

I don't carry Krejci's water - just realizing how well he's playing. #1C level good. Just needs to shoot more.

And historically, he loves a shooting RWer and a LW that powers to the new. 1 for 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad