Post-Game Talk: Game 19: Bruins 2 ...Leafs 0. Big Z and Tuukka lead the way

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The first breakaway happened because C.Miller fell flat on his behind. Not that I'm blaming him but it's funny that you complain about defensive mistakes and then insist Miller SHOULD BE in the lineup.

Agreed

and had that been Trotman.......

All D-men make mistakes, and while I agree that K Miller needs to watch more games than play in them (understanding he`s injured right now), I`ve never understood how so many are not fans of Trotman, I`m not convinced he`s a true #2 , nor do I feel he`s anywhere as bad as many here make him out to be

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
The first breakaway happened because C.Miller fell flat on his behind. Not that I'm blaming him but it's funny that you complain about defensive mistakes and then insist Miller SHOULD BE in the lineup.

I'm gonna be kind but... how do you expect a rookie to learn his craft without making mistakes?. If we want this guy to be an important piece of our future, he need to play, PERIOD. I can live with his mistakes because he's helping the transition a TON and unlike K.Miller, he's learning from his mistakes. Our blueline is not strong enough to bench a guy like him. Simple as that.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
It was nice to see Colin bringing a little bit of the nasty last night too. There was a hit on Lupul in the third that was heavier than anything Dougie ever managed, which admittedly isn't saying all that much. Still, he's going to be quite a well-rounded player

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I'm gonna be kind but... how do you expect a rookie to learn his craft without making mistakes?. If we want this guy to be an important piece of our future, he need to play, PERIOD. I can live with his mistakes because he's helping the transition a TON and unlike K.Miller, he's learning from his mistakes. Our blueline is not strong enough to bench a guy like him. Simple as that.

I don't disagree. I like C.Miller, very much. Just think it's funny that you cited the three breakaways, stated that they CANNOT happen, and in the next sentence insist that C.Miller MUST play.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
I don't disagree. I like C.Miller, very much. Just think it's funny that you cited the three breakaways, stated that they CANNOT happen, and in the next sentence insist that C.Miller MUST play.

I was referring to seasonned veterans like Krug..

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Agreed

and had that been Trotman.......

All D-men make mistakes, and while I agree that K Miller needs to watch more games than play in them (understanding he`s injured right now), I`ve never understood how so many are not fans of Trotman, I`m not convinced he`s a true #2 , nor do I feel he`s anywhere as bad as many here make him out to be

I've been supportive of Trotman ever since I saw the last few games of his play last year. As has been said before, having both Miller and McQuaid is a redundancy. Really when it comes down to it, Quaider is already developed, mentally as well as phsyically, and it still better than Miller. Trotman should boot that guy out of the line up eventually, I'd hope.

Enjoyed watching Miller play while he was here, but it's obvious that he's not quite cut out to be a long term option for this team. I'd argue that Trotman possibly is, given a chance for development. Could be the new Seids....or is that blasphemy, saying that?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Agreed.

So much of the "discussion" is agenda driven. Take a stand and remain committed to it at all cost. Put on the blinders for anything that doesn't support the cause.

I'm thrilled with the play of Colin Miller. But that doesn't mean the focus of every game is his personal development. The number one focus of each game is to win it.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I've been supportive of Trotman ever since I saw the last few games of his play last year. As has been said before, having both Miller and McQuaid is a redundancy. Really when it comes down to it, Quaider is already developed, mentally as well as phsyically, and it still better than Miller. Trotman should boot that guy out of the line up eventually, I'd hope.

Enjoyed watching Miller play while he was here, but it's obvious that he's not quite cut out to be a long term option for this team. I'd argue that Trotman possibly is, given a chance for development. Could be the new Seids....or is that blasphemy, saying that?

Miller will be fine if the next time he plays he only plays about 12 minutes.

Lets see if this group can stay healthy were pretty thin back there I'd hope they make a trade for morale purposes if anyone goes down.

Hopefully we can keep this good play up.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
A nice win - I love seeing the Captain's emotion coming through when he scores a goal like that. Watching him take his time and glide towards the net before winding up with that rocket was awesome to see.

I am very glad Marchand got the EN since he really deserved a goal after that pretty play he made earlier. Good on Rask for getting the shutout too - he made some big saves.

Even though it is a regular season game, the Bruins just know how to break the hearts of the Leafs. Tough loss for them again.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
To me the defence is still a concern. 3 breakaways is 3 to many and we can't feel good about that. If we were playing a better team than the offensively challenged Leafs this one could easily have ended up in the lose column. On the bright side, good to see Rask coming up big to keep things in check.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
I thought it was a bad game from both teams. The B's had a hard time breaking down the house formation of the Leafs, even when they over committed. The B's also had a difficult time with the breakout, and it led to some boring neutral zone play and a lack of speed through the zone. It also led to very few infractions on the ice by both teams, though the refs let them play a bit.

We played better defensively, it was nice for our mistakes to not end up in the net during a home game. If we see things average out like they should over the rest of the season, I think we are in good shape.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
A nice win - I love seeing the Captain's emotion coming through when he scores a goal like that. Watching him take his time and glide towards the net before winding up with that rocket was awesome to see.

I am very glad Marchand got the EN since he really deserved a goal after that pretty play he made earlier. Good on Rask for getting the shutout too - he made some big saves.

Even though it is a regular season game, the Bruins just know how to break the hearts of the Leafs. Tough loss for them again.

I have to say the Leaf fans are the best visiting fans. They know their hockey and are friendly.

I was at the game #7 when the B's came back from being down 4-1 with less than 10 min to go...We had Leaf fans next to us and although I was thrilled to win I felt bad for them.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
I have to say the Leaf fans are the best visiting fans. They know their hockey and are friendly.

I was at the game #7 when the B's came back from being down 4-1 with less than 10 min to go...We had Leaf fans next to us and although I was thrilled to win I felt bad for them.

It's because they are bread to accept loss and crushing defeat. Much like the Cubs are the best baseball fans right now. With success comes arrogance. It has happened with the Sox since 2004 ...

That's not to spite Sox fans but when you lose for so long you can't help but be humble.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
To me the defence is still a concern. 3 breakaways is 3 to many and we can't feel good about that. If we were playing a better team than the offensively challenged Leafs this one could easily have ended up in the lose column. On the bright side, good to see Rask coming up big to keep things in check.

Funny thing is, though, the breakaways had little to do with the overall defensive game. On the first, Miller fell - just a mechanical fail. The third came on the PP, with Krejci on "defense." The only real miscue was the second, when Krug was caught a half step behind on a fly-the-zone pass, and I'm still not sure that wasn't offside.

Concern about the defense is legitimate as the Bruins have some really raw kids out there who are learning on the fly, but breakaways usually aren't an accurate barometer.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Seriously I love Beleskey Big Z goal was all from him working his tail off to win a board battle

Beleskey is top 10 in the NHL in hits and on pace for over 40 points with limited minutes and NO PP time that is awesome production I'm so happy with him so far this year

Beleskey is 4th on the Bruins in Even strength points this season 2 more points than Bergeron

Lucic on pace for 47 points 280 Hits

Beleskey 43 points 350 Hits

I agree Beleskey has been very solid despite him not scoring much. He plays the game like a Bruin, all out all the time.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Here's the thing when it comes to the Millers.

They both make mistakes. However C Miller brings more to the offensive table and he often recovers quickly from his mistakes (not so much when he falls flat on the ice but a few times he's missed and managed to turn and skate back into the play to play his position). I guess if I'm going to watch Dmen make mistakes I would rather see C Miller making them because his potential is higher and he will only improve with ice time. The K Miller on the ice has pretty much peaked-he is what he is and that's what we will see when he's on the ice.

IMO K Miller is the lite version of McQuaid. Barring injuries they both shouldn't be in the line up. Either McQuaid or Miller in the bottom pair right side but not both because neither will ever be long term 2nd pair Dmen.

About the only thing K Miller does better than C Miller is fight.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Funny thing is, though, the breakaways had little to do with the overall defensive game. On the first, Miller fell - just a mechanical fail. The third came on the PP, with Krejci on "defense." The only real miscue was the second, when Krug was caught a half step behind on a fly-the-zone pass, and I'm still not sure that wasn't offside.

Concern about the defense is legitimate as the Bruins have some really raw kids out there who are learning on the fly, but breakaways usually aren't an accurate barometer.

While I didn't like seeing them the breakaways weren't where the defensive weaknesses showed up.

The team still has a tendency to get pinned in the D zone and fails to make good decisions. One thing I did notice is improving is the clearing of the crease and doing so without screening the goalie (this was probably one of K Millers worst habits-I effectively clearing the crease while blocking the sight lines for the goalie). Quaider, Chara and Seids were pretty good in front of Tuukka.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I'll take the guy who gives up a breakaway because he fell down (happens to everyone at some point) over the guy who willfully chases guys way out of position and leaves the slot wide open on a regular basis.

Factor in Colin's skillset and upside and it's a no-brainer to dress him every night over Kevan.

The only way Kevan sees the ice if I was coach would be if you need to sub him for McQuaid or Seids and even then I give serious consideration to Morrow instead.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I missed the game...:(

How did Spooner and Sieds play?

And was Talbut ok???

Talbot played but he didn't do anything to make you think he should be here. He's pretty much cooked.

I wasn't too impressed with the third and fourth lines-they were both kind of weak, but our top two lines were better and the leafs defense is pretty bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad