Post-Game Talk: Game 19: Bruins 2 ...Leafs 0. Big Z and Tuukka lead the way

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Some of the seams in their defense is still driving me nuts, but I've accepted that this is simply an unfortunate circumstance of playing young defensement and seeing them develop. Eventually, they'll be a better team for it. I sincerely hope that the decision makers in the organization are all on the same page with what they are, what they want to be and the path to get there while being realistic about the goals of this season.

In other words, is there that big a difference between this team finishing 3rd in the division or with a wild card berth as opposed to missing the playoffs on the last day ala last season? I'm thinking big picture here. If Clode is your guy and it's his system that you have committed to and you believe in this path, then are the decision makers including Sweeney, Cam and Charlie going to have the patience to sit through inevitable ups and downs?

There will be more three game losing streaks. There will be times when they look like they can beat anyone in the conference in a playoff series and others when they look like a bottom five club.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
really good defensively, offensively he reminds me of Kelly, you know, where offensive goes to die.

And yet it was Trotman who got the pass in the offensive zone was just about
to shoot and dished it over to Chara who walked in and scored.

Perhaps the blind squirrel finding the nut ? :dunno::dunno:

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
80% of the things he says are so ill-timed and so ridiculous.

Doesn't sound like he has any natural skill or has received any training on how to be a commentator. It's not like hanging out with friends. You don't just say ANY THOUGHT, valid or not, that pops into your head.

he said there was no penalty on Marchand for speedbagging Sedin in game 6. uhhhh...i guess the roughing and misconduct were just in my imagination?

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
And yet it was Trotman who got the pass in the offensive zone was just about
to shoot and dished it over to Chara who walked in and scored.

Perhaps the blind squirrel finding the nut ? :dunno::dunno:

The blind squirrel did indeed find the nut. He horrible in the offensive zone, just made the obvious play and it worked out but to say he was key in the whole thing is a stretch. That was all Beleskey and Chara.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I have to say the Leaf fans are the best visiting fans. They know their hockey and are friendly.

I was at the game #7 when the B's came back from being down 4-1 with less than 10 min to go...We had Leaf fans next to us and although I was thrilled to win I felt bad for them.

Though I haven't had as much experience as you have in terms of games, I'd have to agree. Good people that know and respect the game.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Though I haven't had as much experience as you have in terms of games, I'd have to agree. Good people that know and respect the game.

In Dec 2014 my daughter and I went to a game in Toronto. The fans who were sitting near us said "oh no...B's fans" ;)...But they were fun. One said he hated Looch but would love him on the Leafs .

Toronto is a great arena to visit. The city is nice, people are cool and there is the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Last edited:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
he said there was no penalty on Marchand for speedbagging Sedin in game 6. uhhhh...i guess the roughing and misconduct were just in my imagination?

90% of the posters here think the same thing. It's reached "Nobody complained about Kessel being soft until after he was traded!" status.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
In Dec 2014 my daughter and I went to a game in Toronto. The fans who were sitting near us said "oh no...B's fans" ;)...But they were fun. One said he haterd Looch but would love him on the Leafs .

Toronto is a great arena to visit. The city is nice, people are cool and there is the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Have been to the Hockey Hall of Fame 3 times. Due for another visit. Wish Toronto was a little closer.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Sat next to two annoying people who sounded like they were on first date and spoke at an unreasonably high volume.

My cousin wanted to make a scene, but I talked him out of it.

One of the worst Garden experiences of my life.

haha my brother always seems to get pissed off by people around us at the garden... You got to block it out and not let it bother you... too many people go to these games just to say they went, take pictures drink then leave... it will never change. As long as they aren't standing up in front of me and don't spill more than once on me I don't really care

Tuukka needs to build off of this.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
haha my brother always seems to get pissed off by people around us at the garden... You got to block it out and not let it bother you... too many people go to these games just to say they went, take pictures drink then leave... it will never change. As long as they aren't standing up in front of me and don't spill more than once on me I don't really care

Tuukka needs to build off of this.

We go to all home games at the Garden and every so often you get some idiot that you want to slap .

Last night before the game there were (as usual) many kids hanging around the B's tunnel. Often they are cute because they are so excited about giving the B's high 5's. well the bunch last night were rude and had no parents around to supervise.

One got a huge greasy slice of pizza and dropped it on my coat...what a mess...didn't even say "sorry". I got elbowed in the head a couple times and one kid kicked my sister in the back of the knee climbing over the seats to push his way in front of all of the little guys. :shakehead

I know all of the security folks near us and may say something...

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The blind squirrel did indeed find the nut. He horrible in the offensive zone, just made the obvious play and it worked out but to say he was key in the whole thing is a stretch. That was all Beleskey and Chara.

To say he's horrible in the offensive zone would be more of a stretch.

I think he won't be a point producer in the mold of a Krug or even Chara in his prime, but he'll do enough. His passing skills ( especially outlet passes ) are extremely underrated around here. He's pretty good at getting his shots on net which is a quality you want from a dman ( only two missed shots so far this year, and both were on the same shift ). I think he can be around 20/25ish points a year ala Boychuk during his Boston days.

Last edited:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
To say he's horrible in the offensive zone would be more of a stretch.

I think he won't be a point producer in the mold of a Krug or even Chara in his prime, but he'll do enough. His passing skills ( especially outlet passes ) are extremely underrated around here. He's pretty good at getting his shots on net which is a quality you want from a dman ( only two missed shots so far this year, and both were on the same shift ). I think he can be around 20/25ish points a year ala Boychuk during his Boston days.

Oh my, we do see different things. His shots are weak as hell when he actually gets one off and when he's not taking a shot he just dishes of to other D. Zero vision in his OZ game. I'll give you the outlet passes are OK but extremely underrated seems a stretch.

Oh and only two missed shots , maybe that's true if you don't count the one he actually fails to get off because he messed 3 in one shift the other night against the Wild. I prefer D men who can actually get the shot off, get it on net and actually put some zip into it too.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Oh my, we do see different things. His shots are weak as hell when he actually gets one off and when he's not taking a shot he just dishes of to other D. Zero vision in his OZ game. I'll give you the outlet passes are OK but extremely underrated seems a stretch.

Oh and only two missed shots , maybe that's true if you don't count the one he actually fails to get off because he messed 3 in one shift the other night against the Wild. I prefer D men who can actually get the shot off, get it on net and actually put some zip into it too.

I believe it was two...one flub and another was tipped/blocked by Pavelski. I think those are the two accounted missed shots on the year to date. Other than that, he gets his shots off and with some decent zip.

I think his passing game is underrated around here because more than once I've read that " he can't pass or skate " ( both laughable opinons ) and that he sucks at transitioning the puck. I don't see this at all. I see a guy who moves the puck fairly well and has good mobility for his size.

edit: here's a good article, complete with scouting report and interview by Kirk Leudeke in regards to Trotman

https://scoutingpost.wordpress.com/2015/09/07/summer-cooler-interview-series-4-zach-trotman/

At 6-foot-4 and a shade under 220 pounds headed into training camp, Trotman is one of the bigger and stronger players on the team. He’s a fluid skater for a guy his size and he sometimes does not get enough credit for his vision and ability to move the puck. His rocket shot forces penalty killing units to respect him by trying to disrupt and take away his time and space.

Though he’s not likely to ever develop into a dangerous two-way threat, his size, reach and smarts makes Trotman a good bet to be a solid supporting cast player as a bottom-pairing NHL defender with the chance to evolve his game into the middle pair with special teams contributions down the road.

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
This Bruins team can be competitive if they cut the bad defensive mistakes. 3 breakaways doesn't strike me as very good defense. Anyhow, that was an excellent win. Rask delivered and to echo many comments, C.Miller SHOULD BE in the lineup for the rest of the season. This guy is LEGIT and he deserve all the chances to show what he can do. Trotman did a nice job but i want to have another look on Morrow.

Agreed.

Also, IMO, Seidenberg has helped stabilize things on the back end.

Morrow needs to play. You can't let a 22 y.o. with that much upside sit for this many games in a row.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I believe it was two...one flub and another was tipped/blocked by Pavelski. I think those are the two accounted missed shots on the year to date. Other than that, he gets his shots off and with some decent zip.

I think his passing game is underrated around here because more than once I've read that " he can't pass or skate " ( both laughable opinons ) and that he sucks at transitioning the puck. I don't see this at all. I see a guy who moves the puck fairly well and has good mobility for his size.

edit: here's a good article, complete with scouting report and interview by Kirk Leudeke in regards to Trotman

https://scoutingpost.wordpress.com/2015/09/07/summer-cooler-interview-series-4-zach-trotman/

Well, I'll admit that it's a small sample size but what I've seen so far is a solid defender, decent outlet passes but nothing exceptional and horrible OZ play. I don't get into stats or extended stats much as I deem the eye test to be the best for evaluating players.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I didn`t read the poster you respond to say he was the key to the whole thing and that "obvious" play I have watched a many D-men wind up and try to fire a howitzer through all the bodies rather than hold onto it as he did, drawing the forward closer to him then pushing it off to Z.

Was he the key? Nope, Beleskey was the key, but to say he made the obvious play IMO isn`t fair since I`ve watched loads of D-men pass on the obvious

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I'm gonna be kind but... how do you expect a rookie to learn his craft without making mistakes?. If we want this guy to be an important piece of our future, he need to play, PERIOD. I can live with his mistakes because he's helping the transition a TON and unlike K.Miller, he's learning from his mistakes. Our blueline is not strong enough to bench a guy like him. Simple as that.

Agree with you.Kid needs to play and grow.I am fine with his growing pains..Trotman needs to play too.He getting better by the game.Please stay away K.Miller :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad