Post-Game Talk: Game 19 - Battle of Senapredia: Preds (12-5-2) vs. Sens (9-5-4) | 7:30ET (6:30CT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
He did take a really awkward whack to the head on that play. Hutton is not Rinne, but I thought he played fine for a backup. Can't win them all. Frankly OTT's neutral zone game was exceptional tonight; just stifling in the center.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Shame Olli's first point and first goal were tainted by a loss. Still, wasn't a poor loss generally speaking. Move onto the next one.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Games like this suck. We severely outplayed them in the first to only be up 1-0. Jarnkrok with a post. Wilson with a few great chances that he couldn't bury. We go up 2-0 or 3-0 it's obviously a different game. When you outplay a team and are only up 1, if they get the next goal, the wind gets knocked out of your sails and it did tonight. They score the next 3 and we try and play catch up. After number 3 for them we picked our play up again and I thought we outplayed them the last 25 minutes of the game. It stinks but sometimes games like this happen. All I can say is we've played hard every game I've watched and only pooped the bed once all season and that was against Pittsburgh. Almost 20 games in and one truly poor game that we should've lost and did. We've been in every other game this season. How many times were we being shut out last year and getting outplayed on a nightly basis or out of games? This season we are competing each and every night. We are also competing for bigger stretches of games than under the previous regime. While I wasn't happy about the 2nd period tonight we did pick it back up and I think if we played the way we did tonight, more often than not we'll win. Move on to Florida and get back to winning.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
This is just inaccurate. The play is inconsistent, but is often fairly wonderful. Tonight is a perfect example; dominated the first and third and **** the bed in the 2nd. SOG totals are not perfect, but when you're @2x the opposing team, you're generally doing some things well. It's neither glaring, nor a fact, hence why you're one of the only ones here who feel this way. We can discuss the advanced stats if you want as well. This team is materially better than most recent previous NSH iterations in almost every objective method outside of special teams, which has been terrible.

Tough loss, but if we have to give 2 points to someone, happy to give it to the Sens.

If you play terribly for long stretches of time ... have the lowest home PP% in the league ... little secondary scoring, and most of it in a once every five year blowout of a team at Toronto ... there are glaring issues with the overall play.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
That's not fact. Personally, I believe there's some holes, but you don't get to 12-4-2 without wonderful play.

Crap PK for the season (28th in the league). Horrible home PP% (dead last) while the road PP% improves ... still overall 23rd. Bad at the dot as a team (under 50%). Minimal secondary scoring. Haven't won a single game when allowing three goals. Haven't come back from a two goal deficit to win all season. Facts.

This team is more dependent on what HF sees as Trotzian hockey than any Trotz coached team the Preds ever had.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Unfortunately, as well as we've played this season, we give up 3 goals and it's going to be a tough one to win (unless we're playing Toronto). Hope we can buck that trend.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Unfortunately, as well as we've played this season, we give up 3 goals and it's going to be a tough one to win (unless we're playing Toronto). Hope we can buck that trend.

Give up three this season, lose 83.3% in regulation, win the rest in a SO ... give up points in the standings every time. That is the fact so far this season and another problem that needs fixing.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Crap PK for the season (28th in the league). Horrible home PP% (dead last) while the road PP% improves ... still overall 23rd. Bad at the dot as a team (under 50%). Minimal secondary scoring. Haven't won a single game when allowing three goals. Haven't come back from a two goal deficit to win all season. Facts.

This team is more dependent on what HF sees as Trotzian hockey than any Trotz coached team the Preds ever had.

We lost the game because we failed at Trotzian hockey. We got back on our heels during the second, they took the game to us, we didn't respond, and as a result were always about 2 steps behind the entire period.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I see a difference, but the facts remain that this team hasn't yet won a game when allowing three goals .. hasn't come back from a two goal deficit ... until it erupted for nine goals against the Leafs (a team coming off a blowout by the last place Sabres) averaged less goals than all but one Preds teams since the 04-05 lockout ... a team that has one home PP goal for the season (matched by its one home shortie allowed). Or should I look to the statistical outlier at Toronto and base all assessments on it rather than the bulk of the season?

Clearly any minute now we're going to go into a 40-game slump.

Those woeful Toronto Maple Leafs who we only lit up because they're so horrible that any team in the NHL could score 6 on without trying, beat Tampa Bay 5-2 tonight. Given that the Maple Leafs had given up 15 goals in their last two, Tampa should have beaten Toronto by about 25 goals. Hey, but guess what? That's why they actually play the games.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Like the play of Jarnkrok, again. To much space on the PK.
Love Josi's play.
Loss, move on and we better not overlook Florida.
Nice 4 games at home.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Tonight reminded of an old school Preds game where we play defensively but generally get out chanced and not have control of the flow of the game for the most part. However we would capitalize on the chances we had and then relied on goaltending and defense to barely hang on.

This season it seems like we might have more games where we are on the other side of the coin for once and I'm very happy with that.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Damn second period. We dominated the 1st and 3rd, outshooting them 25-7, outscoring them 2-0. If not for just a 10-15 minute lapse we probably win this game.

Good to see Jokinen get one. I know it was into an open net, but with our team's history an open net is never a sure thing.

And I love Weber bombs!

Olli is
lBl1H.gif

This is the best yet most disturbing Olli gif, lol!

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Some people just focus on the negatives.

This team us far better offensively and at the end if the year tge results will show it.

This team is also better defensively.

This team is far more entertaining.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

The team is among the best in the league and leading the Central Division.
Fact.

Masta Class

Oct 30, 2014
the ville
Fact.
yeah but..

If we win by only one goal - Negative
If we win but we let in a goal - Negative
If we win without a PP goal - Negative
If we let in 3 but win in a shootout - Negative
If we win and our only line to contribute was the 1st line (not enough secondary scoring) - Negative
If we win and our 4th line plays a huge game (not enough primary scoring) - Negative
If we win but couldn't kill off a penalty - Negative
If we win and Pekka keeps us in the game (because that's not the goalie's job) - Negative

So from now on our wins must contain: Hat trick from every line, must go 100% on both the PP and the PK, must put 50 shots on net and allow 0 against, must spend 60 minutes of the game in the offensive zone, and of course every win must be in regulation and a shutout. I am being serious, dead serious. If we want to compete in the NHL we must stick to this formula or it's doom and gloom.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
So from now on our wins must contain: Hat trick from every line, must go 100% on both the PP and the PK, must put 50 shots on net and allow 0 against, must spend 60 minutes of the game in the offensive zone, and of course every win must be in regulation and a shutout. I am being serious, dead serious. If we want to compete in the NHL we must stick to this formula or it's doom and gloom.

That will be seen as negative as it's not sustainable.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
We lost the game because we failed at Trotzian hockey. We got back on our heels during the second, they took the game to us, we didn't respond, and as a result were always about 2 steps behind the entire period.

Clearly any minute now we're going to go into a 40-game slump.

Those woeful Toronto Maple Leafs who we only lit up because they're so horrible that any team in the NHL could score 6 on without trying, beat Tampa Bay 5-2 tonight. Given that the Maple Leafs had given up 15 goals in their last two, Tampa should have beaten Toronto by about 25 goals. Hey, but guess what? That's why they actually play the games.

It pays to catch a team when they're off their game. We did just that with Toronto. Hyperbole and reductio ad absurdum aren't logically strong tactics for discussion.

Some people just focus on the negatives.

This team us far better offensively and at the end if the year tge results will show it.

This team is also better defensively.

This team is far more entertaining.

It isn't being negative, it's understanding that while the wins are great there are still issues in the overall play. Facts are neither positive or negative, the simply are. The defensive responses those facts bring out in some people are quite revealing when looking at the human dimension.

Fact.

For the team to remain at/near the top of the standings requires addressing the issues. Here is what I foresee happening. The team will lose a couple in a row ... it's inevitable ... then people here will start discussing the very issues I've highlighted for a while with a very different tone than we see now. This team is playing a game with little margin for error right now. Luckily, most of the times we've danced on that edge things have fallen in our direction but that is highly unlikely to continue at its current rate. Eventually the overall play catches up and teams in the bottom third of PP ranking, bottom sixth of PK, and that haven't won a single game in regulation when allowing three or more goals start to slip down the standings. I for one would like to see those issues addressed, and fixed, before they cause damage. Pretending they don't exist doesn't eliminate them.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Welp...I said I'd be happy splitting the Canadian trip to come home to the four-game home stand. Now I'm hoping we can take 3 of the 4.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
The positive to me is that thread take overs like this one make a tiny bit more sense when the team posts a loss.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
We won the first and third periods by a good bit. The second was forgettable. The Sens are a good team though so credit to them for taking advantage of their chances better than we did. Hutton has his worst game this season so far and we still only lose by 1. Now on to a 4 game home stand!

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
The positive to me is that thread take overs like this one make a tiny bit more sense when the team posts a loss.

Yeah. Because PPDDS* is a he-will of a disease.

* - Post-Predators Defeat Depression Syndrome. Symptoms include malaise, anger, throwing random objects, making posts on social networking sites and message boards about how the team will "never win another game," and anger at particular players for not playing "at their best." The only known cure for this debilitating disease which affects millions is a win by the Nashville Predators.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
Dominated the first period. Unfortunately, two bad calls got the Sens back in the game. Their first goal came on a PP for delay of game when the puck landed between the benches (should not have been penalty). Their second goal should have been an offsides stoppage.

Oh well- We can't win them all...

CMDEADLY

Jun 6, 2014
It pays to catch a team when they're off their game. We did just that with Toronto. Hyperbole and reductio ad absurdum aren't logically strong tactics for discussion.

It isn't being negative, it's understanding that while the wins are great there are still issues in the overall play. Facts are neither positive or negative, the simply are. The defensive responses those facts bring out in some people are quite revealing when looking at the human dimension.

For the team to remain at/near the top of the standings requires addressing the issues. Here is what I foresee happening. The team will lose a couple in a row ... it's inevitable ... then people here will start discussing the very issues I've highlighted for a while with a very different tone than we see now. This team is playing a game with little margin for error right now. Luckily, most of the times we've danced on that edge things have fallen in our direction but that is highly unlikely to continue at its current rate. Eventually the overall play catches up and teams in the bottom third of PP ranking, bottom sixth of PK, and that haven't won a single game in regulation when allowing three or more goals start to slip down the standings. I for one would like to see those issues addressed, and fixed, before they cause damage. Pretending they don't exist doesn't eliminate them.

Actually I wasn't expecting this team to make the playoffs this year, so no I will not be part of that group. From the looks of it, no one else will either. Teams lose games in the NHL it happens. This team is much better and plays a more aggressive style than any Trotz team and that's good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad