GDT: Game #18 | Tampa Bay Lightning @ Detroit Red Wings | 7:00 PM EST | FS-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Talk about overstating his contribution.

Also I can't think of any of his shots which were even chances. But hey, if you just look at the stat sheet he was "great". Sure liked his tip in on the Zetterberg shot especially. :sarcasm:

I guess you like watching that dump and chase with no forecheck hockey the red wings are playing. Fil can actually bring the puck in over the blue line and distribute it. He showed patience with the puck and made smart decisions. He went to the front of the net when it was open and got several good chances. He was reliable defensively. I'm not just looking at the stat sheet. He played a solid game.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Trap trap trap.

In all seriousness, they have some guys who contribute and some not so much. Stamkos and St. Louis are great players, but other than that and a bit by the second line it was a weak offensive game for both parties.

You really didn't notice the 3rd line of rookies that was decimating your defense in the 3rd/OT?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I saw filppula gaining the zone all night, and keeping possession alive. Two things we struggle to do.

And hard for any of us to be critical of the game he played, when he clearly looked better than weiss has this year.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
You really didn't notice the 3rd line of rookies that was decimating your defense in the 3rd/OT?

Tyler Johnson jumped out at me in the third. Kid looked ridiculously good. Add him (and the other young studs on the team) to the two young superstars Tampa will have in Stamkos and Drouin and they'll be good for a while. Yzerman has built that team right.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I saw filppula gaining the zone all night, and keeping possession alive. Two things we struggle to do.

And hard for any of us to be critical of the game he played, when he clearly looked better than weiss has this year.

Yeah it's like night and day difference between Fil and Weiss...I thought Weiss was a grittier player but it turns out he's just as soft as Fil and a lot less skilled.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I guess you like watching that dump and chase with no forecheck hockey the red wings are playing. Fil can actually bring the puck in over the blue line and distribute it. He showed patience with the puck and made smart decisions. He went to the front of the net when it was open and got several good chances. He was reliable defensively. I'm not just looking at the stat sheet. He played a solid game.

Solid, but not what his point totals are showing whatsoever. He didn't scare me at all. Hudler had a much better game in Calgary last week.

sky04: defense was bad all game. I didn't see anything from the third other than a couple shifts that wowed me, especially when your team was being handed pucks all game.

Forgive me for not giving you a glowing review.

Yeah it's like night and day difference between Fil and Weiss...I thought Weiss was a grittier player but it turns out he's just as soft as Fil and a lot less skilled.

Not even close to accurate.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
are we a trap team now? We have one good line and 3 bad lines. Is this what the NHL wants? Every team to be average to garbage?

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
are we a trap team now? We have one good line and 3 bad lines. Is this what the NHL wants? Every team to be average to garbage?

To be fair we are missing a couple of (disappointing) top six forwards. So we knew we were coming in with a deck stacked against us. That being said... yeah, we pretty much have been a one line team. It's ridiculous with how much potential our team could have with just Nyquist added.

Z - D - Bert
Nyquist - Weiss - Alfie
Franzen - Helm - Tatar
Miller - Abby - Eaves

bleh.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Solid, but not what his point totals are showing whatsoever. He didn't scare me at all. Hudler had a much better game in Calgary last week.

sky04: defense was bad all game. I didn't see anything from the third other than a couple shifts that wowed me, especially when your team was being handed pucks all game.

No offense taken, I understand the Wings were clearly not playing anywhere near their best.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

Not even close to accurate.

what's not accurate? Fil has 12pts in 15 games...weiss has 3 in 17...and now weiss is out with a phantom groin injury so he has an excuse the rest of the year for his complete lack of production

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
what's not accurate? Fil has 12pts in 15 games...weiss has 3 in 17...and now weiss is out with a phantom groin injury so he has an excuse the rest of the year for his complete lack of production

Fil wouldn't have gotten even close to the same point production, and Weiss is starting a new system in a revolving door of linemates in a system which has had an issue with offense for the past two years.

Weiss has been getting better and better and is more than I could say for Filppula last year.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Yes, yes. Lets use Filppula's adrenaline-driven first 1/5 of one season with a new team as the standard and overlook the fact that Filppula is historically a ~40point player while Weiss is historically a ~50 point player. :sarcasm:

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Filppula did this perennially for the Wings. It was his ability, or lack thereof, to doing anything with it after the fact that was the problem.

But lets ignore the fact that Filppula has 500 NHL games to his credit that average out to a prototypical season of less than 45 points.

What it comes down to is that he's a better fit for Tampa (or rather, a better offensive producer away from Babcock) than he was in Detroit. Same thing with Hudler, who is currently on pace for a 90+ point season. Clearly they're both worth their weight in statistics. :sarcasm:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
There's nothing to indicate that is true. Relax already.

Why is the team so inconsistant with its compete level and effort (not counting the 4th game in 6 nights or 3 game in 5 nights situations)?

Why are the lineup changes made every period damn near?

Why are they normally one of either two conditions (inserting cleary or abby into the 2nd line)?

Why has he made statements that he is being ignored to the media?

Why is he continually making the same stubborn defensive pairings when they show no growth or improvement?

Why are certain players given damn near immunity to making mistakes while others make one mistake and are **** on?

Why is he more concerned with a nations team then the one he is being paid to coach?

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Why is the team so inconsistant with its compete level and effort (not counting the 4th game in 6 nights or 3 game in 5 nights situations)?

Why are the lineup changes made every period damn near?

Why are they normally one of either two conditions (inserting cleary or abby into the 2nd line)?

Why has he made statements that he is being ignored to the media?

Why is he continually making the same stubborn defensive pairings when they show no growth or improvement?

Why are certain players given damn near immunity to making mistakes while others make one mistake and are **** on?

Why is he more concerned with a nations team then the one he is being paid to coach?

There are a number of reasons to explain all of your concerns, and only one has to do with "losing the room." Most of the rest are simpler explanations. And I don't think there's anything to suggest your last question is based on a truth.

As for the bold question, I had not seen that. Do you have a link?

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Not really computer savvy but on malik report page 9 it has the article dated 10-29 the overnight report Babs dissects wings problems. That is the one where he stated it. Was a excerpt from a news article don't know who wrote it but it is linked in the article.

To the mods sorry if I can't state where it was but I suck with computers so I am unable to link said article.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
This one?

I see comments about the team not doing what they should be doing, but that happens all the time when teams play poorly. It's why they are playing poorly. It doesn't mean the coach has lost his team.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Whoops sorry it is the 10-28 overnight report should be on the same page though.

Actually same article just a more recent date but yeah thats the one.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I just don't see anything to indicate Babcock has lost his team. In fact, Zetterberg's comments seem to back up the idea that he hasn't.

I understand your frustration with the team. I think we all, as fans, are feeling it. But let's not go overboard in our assumptions. A coach losing his team is a very big deal, and that doesn't seem to be the case with the Wings.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I just don't see anything to indicate Babcock has lost his team. In fact, Zetterberg's comments seem to back up the idea that he hasn't.

I understand your frustration with the team. I think we all, as fans, are feeling it. But let's not go overboard in our assumptions. A coach losing his team is a very big deal, and that doesn't seem to be the case with the Wings.

I also think that the criticism in Babcock should be how he chooses the lines and the system he asks of them. While I don't agree with the "Filppula and Hudler are doing well because Babcock didn't treat them right" statements, I can at least understand people making them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad