Game #18: Kings vs. Sabres - 11/12/13 - Shootout Loss 3-2

JEvans14

Nov 26, 2009
Sadly I was at the game. I saw it mentioned in your GDT that the fans cheered when Quick skated off the ice..... I can't speak for the "18,000+ :laugh::shakehead;)"that were there but I for one was cheering because he skated off on his own.

He was down on his knees stretching for a minute or so while the play was down in the Buffalo defensive zone. Something was wrong before the play came back down the ice and he got the whistle.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Well, shots don't mean 2 craps in the NHL, Miller did have a very good game but not 41 for 43 good. Too many weak, outside, unscreened shots for him to save.

On the other hand, Buffalo had quite a few in close chances. Couple backdoor plays, rebounds in front, quick slash in front and jam shots. Hard to blame a goalie for a low save percentage in a game where there were a high amount of chances based on the shot total, and the goals were a backdoor and a rebound after Mitchell tipped a puck not going on net back into Quick's outstretched pads.

This is why SV% only tells so much, doesn't factor scoring chances vs. shots, no matter how easy the save

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
The negativity is overblown. Kings dominated and are gonna win games like that nine times out of ten. Some games the Kings definitely play down to the competition and that infuriates me to no end but I don't think this game was one of those, the Kings were clearly the superior team out there and controlled the play nearly the whole game. Losing sucks and it was a frustrating loss for sure but at this point in the season I'd rather see them play well and lose than see them be awful and steal a point. Not saying there aren't areas they need to work on but I'm still somewhat encouraged despite the loss.

As for Trevor Lewis in the shootout, I'm guessing they practice it from time to time and Lewis is one of the better ones? :dunno: That's gotta be it, right?

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
The negativity is overblown. Kings dominated and are gonna win games like that nine times out of ten.

Loss to the Sabres / outshot them 45-17
Loss to the Preds / outshot them 38-17
Loss to the Jets / outshot them 36-32
Loss to Lightning / outshot them 31-24
Loss to Coyotes / outshot them 42-33
Loss to Flames / outshot them 29-25

Kings like to **** the bed when they play teams that are just subpar. Been that like for a few seasons now...

On the other hand, at least they like to show up against Vancouver, San Jose, and St. Louis. :laugh:

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I was referring to Richards, I have no problem with him in the shootout. The poster I replied to said we were not going to win anyways because we needed to score at least two on Miller. I was just pointing out that only two got an opportunity and only one of those was an actual shooter. If you need to score two goals in a shootout to even have a chance, and basically forfeit one of your opportunities, you are severely limiting your chances for success.

On a positive note, Toffoli is now tied for 15th in rookie scoring, in just four games

That's great. I love watching him play, he has that sniper mentality that all elite scorers have to shoot...shoot..shoot. And he's smart , he sees the game well. I think he and Richie work well together and he'll move up the rookie scoring chart in quick order if he keeps playing as well as he has.

likid

Mar 27, 2011
Maribor
btw: Anze is 10th in scored goals(27) in shootouts with 40,3%...

Just to add, this is from 2007 (since introducing shootouts in NHL) and four players has scored 33 goals in shootouts in that period (Parise, Boyes, Datsjuk, Vrbata - all of them have around 45% effeciency)

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Did I miss something???

Where are you guys coming up with insertion of Lewis in the SO as a message to Kopi??? Wasn't Kopi the 3rd shooter but never got his turn???

I'm thinking Lewis was picked to replace Carter in the SO, probably because they had a practice SO drill like they do from time-to-time and Lewis probably won it.

Like I said, if I missed something, please enlighten me, but I don't think Lewis being in the SO was a message to Kopi or anyone.

Lewis couldn't replace Carter because Carter is a shooter, a goal scorer and Lewis is not . There are far better candidates to insert there including Toffoli or how about that guy that is leading the team in goals Justin Williams.
Putting a stone handed 4th liner against one of the best goalies in the game is done for one reason and it wasn't winning the game. And its' the reason he went before Kopitar. It's the same reason that Kopitar was benched for a couple shifts in the 3rd, he played a very lazy game and deserved it.
There is no logical reason to put Lewis in a position where he had no chance to succeed. And it's the one question I wish one of the reporters asked Sutter post game and they didn't.

Last edited:

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
**** I just hope Quick isn't completely messed up, I knew that game was lost when he went down. Don't even care that we lost, just hope he heals.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Loss to the Sabres / outshot them 45-17
Loss to the Preds / outshot them 38-17
Loss to the Jets / outshot them 36-32
Loss to Lightning / outshot them 31-24
Loss to Coyotes / outshot them 42-33
Loss to Flames / outshot them 29-25

Kings like to **** the bed when they play teams that are just subpar. Been that like for a few seasons now...

On the other hand, at least they like to show up against Vancouver, San Jose, and St. Louis. :laugh:

This so much this. And i know you're just taking a glance rather than using shots as an absolute metric, but we fully controlled play in most of those games. I think people forget about parity in the league and that we are playing NHL teams and goalies capable of stealing games nightly, and to mostly dominate those teams is a feat we take for granted. You're not going to win them all, but if you dominate teams like you have in the above list, you will be sitting pretty in the long run. There's seriously no need for overthinking or overreaction here.

The only worry some pattern is that after playing so well we have a lapse of focus in the d zone and the other team often scores on those limited shots. I think (when recovered of course) that's Quicks and the Ds NEW challenge in this league--how do you keep focus and discipline to lock out the other team defensively when you're carrying the puck 75% of the game?

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I wonder if Quick isn't just one of those goalies who thrives on a heavy shot count but when there isn't shots, he goes cold and let's in a weak one. It's a mental thing, some goalie just love facing 40 shots a game, gets them into the zone.

When we are outshooting the opposition that badly, you know the puck isn't in our zone nearly as much and maybe Quick has trouble with going several minutes between shots. I'd bet some times, counting TV timeouts as well, he went close to 10 minutes last night without a shot against. Hard to stay jacked up for that long likely.

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
I'd like to add that its no fault of Scrivens either. Sitting on a bench for 2-3 hours completely cold is tough, I'm glad he didn't get injured too.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Anyone know what the full SO lineup was? I'm curious who was slated to go 3rd.....Frattin? Fraser?

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Lewis couldn't replace Carter because Carter is a shooter, a goal scorer and Lewis is not . There are far better candidates to insert there including Toffoli or how about that guy that is leading the team in goals Justin Williams.
Putting a stone handed 4th liner against one of the best goalies in the game is done for one reason and it wasn't winning the game. And its' the reason he went before Kopitar. It's the same reason that Kopitar was benched for a couple shifts in the 3rd, he played a very lazy game and deserved it.
There is no logical reason to put Lewis in a position where he had no chance to succeed. And it's the one question I wish one of the reporters asked Sutter post game and they didn't.

Of course there were better options than Lewis. I don't think there's a single fan that would argue the point. However, to say that Lewis being in the SO was to punish Kopitar is not only irresponsible, but just silly!

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
I wonder if Quick isn't just one of those goalies who thrives on a heavy shot count but when there isn't shots, he goes cold and let's in a weak one. It's a mental thing, some goalie just love facing 40 shots a game, gets them into the zone.

When we are outshooting the opposition that badly, you know the puck isn't in our zone nearly as much and maybe Quick has trouble with going several minutes between shots. I'd bet some times, counting TV timeouts as well, he went close to 10 minutes last night without a shot against. Hard to stay jacked up for that long likely.

i think this can be applied to most goalies at every level... even in my beer league our goalie says its hard to stay 100% in the game when he sees no action for 7-8 minute stretches. not that that makes it excusable at the NHL level, but im sure its a factor to some degree

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Of course there were better options than Lewis. I don't think there's a single fan that would argue the point. However, to say that Lewis being in the SO was to punish Kopitar is not only irresponsible, but just silly!

Sutter rewards players that play well and sits players that are not performing. why would he choose Lewis after Kopi has been clutch in SO's so far this season? Lewis didnt have that great of a game last night

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Did Scrivens even face a shot in OT?
Get a loss with no shots against. Tough day

Rough for him, tough spot to be in. But he seems to be a good guy (as he seemed to be with the Leafs). Last year when Reimer got hurt and was out for awhile, Scrivens was terrific. It'll be good for him to get some steady work.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Sutter rewards players that play well and sits players that are not performing. why would he choose Lewis after Kopi has been clutch in SO's so far this season? Lewis didnt have that great of a game last night

What difference does it make whether Kopi shoots 2nd or 3rd in a SO?

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
What difference does it make whether Kopi shoots 2nd or 3rd in a SO?

if Kopi would have gone 2nd and scored the outcome might have been different. there are 6-7 better suited players for the shootout...Sutter throwing Lewis in at the 2nd spot was a statement move more than anything, IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad