Game #18: Kings vs. Sabres - 11/12/13 - Shootout Loss 3-2

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Sorry I am referring to my post yesterday where I said we could be making a "Kennedy type deal" as in a Dean Kennedy type deal where we move a guy before or shortly after we play a team.

There is a chance we are moving one of our players to one of Buff or Philly on this trip. I was referring to that (though we aren't playing Philly).

TG, first of all, belated Happy Birthday and many more. On the above, Kings getting a player back or for CAP relief?

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
TG, first of all, belated Happy Birthday and many more. On the above, Kings getting a player back or for CAP relief?

Thanks and it was a cap relief/ room deal that was being rumored but with the firings I have to believe that any proposed deals are off or would need to be renegotiated with whomever the Sabres hire to be their new GM.

I heard about an hour ago that everything with the Sabres was "dead in the water". Who knows if that means that we are back to the drawing board or if the Flyers are still interested. I haven't heard anything else and that is sort of to be expected with the wholesale changes that the Sabres made.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Is it possible Lewis is good at shootouts in practice?

From what Sutter said post practice today ,it's tied to shootouts at practice. But his answer doesn't make any sense. Lewis is not a goal scorer and practice isn't the same as a game vs Ryan Miller. Your success is higher with a player who is a goal scorer esp vs an elite goalie.

On the decision to use Trevor Lewis in the shootout:
We’ve liked him in practice shootouts the last little bit, and quite honest, nobody else has taken one this year. Mike, Jeff and Kopi are the only guys. [Reporter: Is that often something that’s used quite a bit – a hot hand in practice?] Not so much. What we’ve done is work it into parts of our practices where there’s eight or nine guys that take ‘em, and depending who the goalie is, Lewie’s move last night was just part of his move.

He also said this, which really didn't make sense

On what he liked about Tuesday’s shootout loss:
We had a good chance to win. We score a second goal, we do win. [Reporter: To make it two-nothing?] Yeah.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks and it was a cap relief/ room deal that was being rumored but with the firings I have to believe that any proposed deals are off or would need to be renegotiated with whomever the Sabres hire to be their new GM.

I heard about an hour ago that everything with the Sabres was "dead in the water". Who knows if that means that we are back to the drawing board or if the Flyers are still interested. I haven't heard anything else and that is sort of to be expected with the wholesale changes that the Sabres made.

Thanks and I,m wondering what the Flyers could be looking for, they are overloaded with bottom 6 players and don't have any CAP space.. And they are too much grit and not enough finish now. Curious...

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
LolSutter

Ye im sure the likes of Williams and Brown, who both have solid shootout %'s have completely forgotten how to take them because they havn't shot 1 this year

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Thanks and I,m wondering what the Flyers could be looking for, they are overloaded with bottom 6 players and don't have any CAP space.. And they are too much grit and not enough finish now. Curious...

I didn't hear too much about this rumor but I do know that they want/wanted Forbort and that he is coveted by Fliers mgmt. No surprise since Hextal has a flat out mancrush on DF's game. The return was something around us sending Fraser and Forbort and getting a high pick plus a 4rth rd pick. It was talked about briefly and then gone so it could have been smoke but since I heard from more than a couple of people I put it up.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
I didn't hear too much about this rumor but I do know that they want/wanted Forbort and that he is coveted by Fliers mgmt. No surprise since Hextal has a flat out mancrush on DF's game. The return was something around us sending Fraser and Forbort and getting a high pick plus a 4rth rd pick. It was talked about briefly and then gone so it could have been smoke but since I heard from more than a couple of people I put it up.

Interesting... wouldn't surprise me at all if Hextal goes after some of the Kings prospects he knows and is familiar with. Keep the info coming TG!!!

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
From what Sutter said post practice today ,it's tied to shootouts at practice. But his answer doesn't make any sense. Lewis is not a goal scorer and practice isn't the same as a game vs Ryan Miller. Your success is higher with a player who is a goal scorer esp vs an elite goalie.

On the decision to use Trevor Lewis in the shootout:
We’ve liked him in practice shootouts the last little bit, and quite honest, nobody else has taken one this year. Mike, Jeff and Kopi are the only guys. [Reporter: Is that often something that’s used quite a bit – a hot hand in practice?] Not so much. What we’ve done is work it into parts of our practices where there’s eight or nine guys that take ‘em, and depending who the goalie is, Lewie’s move last night was just part of his move.

He also said this, which really didn't make sense

On what he liked about Tuesday’s shootout loss:
We had a good chance to win. We score a second goal, we do win. [Reporter: To make it two-nothing?] Yeah.

Toffoli has taken like 5 or 6 shootout attempts in Manchester this season and is on a whole different world offensively than Lewis.

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
Sutter can put whoever he wants in the SO. Lets not get dramatic about it. Lewis is a hardworking player and if he had a good game, I have no problem with it. The Kings have real problems going on right now

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Nope, unless Lewis turns into a different player overnight, I will never be OK with the decision to use him in the shootout. Is it a huge deal? No, all of the injuries we currently have are, but I think it's a very stupid decision that killed our already limited chances of winning that shootout.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I'm all for Sutter giving all the players opportunities in shootouts. We lost the second point to an EC team so I guess it was okay. If it was against a WC team (particularly a contending team), I doubt Sutter would've gone with Lewis.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
It's always a confidence booster when the team you lost to the night before guts their upper brass the morning after.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad