GDT: Game 18 - CBJ at MTL - 12 Nov, 7pm

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The D played better tonight than they have in a while, it made Elvis' job much easier. It wasn't the half dozen 2 on 1s Korpi usually gets.

Edit: Just a comment on tonight's D, I'm not fighting about our goalies.

this is very true too

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Yes Mr know it all I saw the first goal
It was soft, perhaps deflected
Maybe a knuckle puck
I don’t know
Seeing as many of us have never played hockey I am certain that as the expert here
You have the definitive answer
It’s kind of stupid how people look at a goalie , and they save 32 of 34 shots , and people want to debate if a goal was soft . How many other great saves did he make that could have been goals . Why do we not look at forwards the same way if they miss a simple pass . How many shots should guys on our team have buried tonight, and ripped it wide or high ? In today’s nhl if your only giving up 2 goals , you should be winning the game . Props to Elvis , he looked composed tonight , and Wanted nothing to do with being told he played well because the team lost .

Reactions: Fireball23

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
-- Weber was an angry beast tonight. He laid into Bemstrom hard a couple of times. The first one was as time expired in the first, I'd like the Jackets to step in when that happens, but Robinson demurred. He did it again in the third. Then with 7 minutes left in the third Bemstrom takes a low run at Weber behind his net and twists him around. Subtle play but I love the competitiveness from this kid.

-- Cale Fleury also leveled a few Jackets with his patented reverse hits. Sportsnet showed a montage of the hits, except the last clip was of Atkinson anticipating the ass-check coming, and just moving around him to take the puck. Clever play.

-- Watching our main guys look gassed in OT, I do think Bemstrom or Milano should be given a shot out there. Bemstrom was our best player. Texier didn't play well tonight but he should have a chance in OT, maybe Torts forgot that Tex scored in his one OT shift.

-- I'm going to go with the 3 pts in 3 games interpretation of this road swing. The slumping scorers is concerning but they're not playing terribly overall.

Edit: removed the bit about the post icing timeout.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
-- I didn't follow the thread (or watch the Jackets' broadcast). Is no one actually complaining about the lack of a timeout by Torts a few seconds before Montreal tied it up? They had Werenski and Jones and our 3 forwards out there for a solid minute and Jones iced it. My first thought was "oh that will really get the cranks going", but also "wtf Torts". I know what he was thinking - he was more confident our D group could recover than Montreal's top attacking group could, but it's not right. Julien can change whoever he wants, Montreal is loaded with decent scorers, it just means tired Blue Jackets.
Defensive teams are not allowed to call timeout after icing.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yes Mr know it all I saw the first goal
It was soft, perhaps deflected
Maybe a knuckle puck
I don’t know
Seeing as many of us have never played hockey I am certain that as the expert here
You have the definitive answer

It’s kind of stupid how people look at a goalie , and they save 32 of 34 shots , and people want to debate if a goal was soft .

People have been doing that to Korpi too, on games with much harder chances against - complaining about his one softie after he has a very good night overall. I'm not going after Elvis, I don't think anyone is here. Everyone seems to think he played well and wants to see him in net next game. I'm just asking for fairness here, you don't call Korpi "Korpisoft" after the first goal Elvis let in.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Ah good catch. That makes more sense.

Apparently the Sportsnet broadcast team forgot about the new rule as well.

Given how rare it is to actually use a timeout in the NHL, I think the rule is stupid. But I get it, trying to increase scoring.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Given how rare it is to actually use a timeout in the NHL, I think the rule is stupid. But I get it, trying to increase scoring.

I'm not in favor of making half a dozen rule changes to add 3 goals per year. Not when they're losing many times that many goals to ridiculous offside review calls. Someone calculated that they're on pace to lose 67? goals this year to that review. All of these would have been goals back in the day and no one would have batted an eye. Not a single Duchene-offside has been averted. That and they can still slim down goalie leg pads and glove a bit. Oh and the hooking/slashing crackdown has been great but they still let D-men cut off attackers a full second plus after the puck has gone by. It's all technically interference but they let it go and it stymies a lot of scoring.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Just finished watching the game....I absolutely loathe our PP. Cost them the game....I mean, 4 on 3 in OT and you pass it out of the zone?!?

And collapsing defensively after going up 2-1....and failing to get it out.

I love this team, but they're testing me.
I never dreamed the loss of Panarin and Duchene would hurt them so badly....the offense has dried up.
Who scores for them tonight? A rookie that gets his first and a D.

Feel bad for Elvis, still looking for that first win.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Im still okay with defence and goaltending but the offence..... Jarmo you should do something, pull rabbit out of hat. We have plenty youngsters but im okay if couple talented youngster were traded to some kind of guy who can score. Insert codename here (**********)

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Safe is death Unless your John Tortorella who coaches like a coward . As soon as he marched that lineup out there on the overtime powerplay , I knew the game was lost . Playing Wennberg in overtime just to play defense is another example why this team is going no where under Torts . Someone mentioned a game earlier it’s not the coaches job to develop players at this level, tonight is a perfect example as to why they are wrong. Bemstrom has been our best forward the last 3 games, should have been out there on the powerplay in overtime , with all that space , he gets 10 minutes of ice time , yet was responsible for 50% of the offense tonight . He has confidence , he has a lethal shot , give him a shot to take the next step. Examples like this are why Torts doesn’t develop skilled players .
Ha ha. This is the NHL, the top league, you do not develop players here. Coaches do not have the time to develop here. Their job is to volatile. If these guys aren't up to it, you send them back to the AHL, move on from them, or give them limited playing time until they do what is expected. That is why players from all teams go up and down.
In a side note, Sonny should have been on the shootout. He excels when he is on the ice and there is no one on the other side to defend him.
I hope they keep giving Elvis more opportunities to play. I have always thought Korpisalo is a backup, or maybe Torts just isn't good at developing goalies.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
It’s kind of stupid how people look at a goalie , and they save 32 of 34 shots , and people want to debate if a goal was soft . How many other great saves did he make that could have been goals . Why do we not look at forwards the same way if they miss a simple pass . How many shots should guys on our team have buried tonight, and ripped it wide or high ? In today’s nhl if your only giving up 2 goals , you should be winning the game . Props to Elvis , he looked composed tonight , and Wanted nothing to do with being told he played well because the team lost .
That's been going on in CBJ-land since Marc Denis. He would stand on his head and stop 32 of 35 shots and we would lose 3-1 and he would take the blame for letting in a softie.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Ha ha. This is the NHL, the top league, you do not develop players here. Coaches do not have the time to develop here. Their job is to volatile. If these guys aren't up to it, you send them back to the AHL, move on from them, or give them limited playing time until they do what is expected. That is why players from all teams go up and down.
I disagree.
You can put talented guys in positions to be successful early on.Play them on right lines with right linemates and 12 minutes a night in the NHL will be more beneficial than 18 a night in AHL.
I don't know how to prove it, but that is my opinion.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I disagree.
You can put talented guys in positions to be successful early on.Play them on right lines with right linemates and 12 minutes a night in the NHL will be more beneficial than 18 a night in AHL.
I don't know how to prove it, but that is my opinion.
I agree. But that is not development, that is taking a guy and inserting him in the system and expecting results. If you don't get what you are looking for, you cut their time until they figure it out. If you get results, you increase there playing time. If you have to coach them up a little, fine, but development time is over. At this level you have to produce or pay the price by losing icetime. All these guys have all had icetime with everybody and it is across the board no one is playing well. Proven guys will keep getting time because they are proven and will be given time to work it out. Guys that still need development will either lose icetime or get sent down for more work.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
The failure to use Sonny on the shoot out is a matter of utter coaching incompetence. There is no excuse for it. Sonny can do things with a puck that no one else in the NHL can do. One on one and you don't use Sonny ?????? Utter incompetence by Torts.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I think Jarmo should be talking to NJ about Hall. We have the cap space to accommodate Hall. We should use it.

Reactions: thebus88

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
The failure to use Sonny on the shoot out is a matter of utter coaching incompetence. There is no excuse for it. Sonny can do things with a puck that no one else in the NHL can do. One on one and you don't use Sonny ?????? Utter incompetence by Torts.
What is it exactly that Sonny can do that no one else can? If you are referring to the shot between the legs, people have done it since Sonny's goal. You can google it and see how many people have done that.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think Jarmo should be talking to NJ about Hall. We have the cap space to accommodate Hall. We should use it.
We are 2 points apart in the standings and NJ has cap space too. If Taylor Hall isn’t going to resign for the Devils why would he want to play here?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
What is it exactly that Sonny can do that no one else can? If you are referring to the shot between the legs, people have done it since Sonny's goal. You can google it and see how many people have done that.
He was essentially drafted because of his stick handling skills. A shootout is where those skills would be utilized the easiest.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
You guys think Bemstrom will ever get more ice time this season?

Kid has 2 goals and an assist in last 3 games yet still gets 10 minutes in a game that included overtime?

wow

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
He was essentially drafted because of his stick handling skills. A shootout is where those skills would be utilized the easiest.
I totally agree. I said in an earlier post that Milano should be in the shootout. If he can come in against the goalie without having to worry about people defending him, he is very good. The other guy said he can do things with the puck no one else in the NHL can. I just wondered what that is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad