Pre-Game Talk: GAME #18 - Canucks @ Red Wings - Sunday, February 24th, 2:00 p.m (SPAC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
Balls! A game I could watch live without getting zombified in the morning and I'm going to be keeping a sharp eye on my passport as I head through customs in Barcelona.

Boo! Boo, I say!

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
He does seem to rack in the minus column.. But I've been tracking this guy for a couple years (ever since the Wild almost signed him a couple years ago.) Anyway, the guy definitely has high end offensive talent.

He is, but I'm just thinking we could exploit his defense.

Our defensemen have their work cut out for them.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I always forget AHLberts is on our roster. Guy stinks. At least we have this new Garrison - Ballard pairing that looks quite good.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
Have to think Luongo gets the start. I'd like to see Luongo run a few games in a row. He's still in the zone and you can't sit 5-0-3 with a 1.45GAA, .941 SV%, and 2 shutouts. Plain and simple, Luongo is giving us Vezina caliber goaltending right now. Use it.

Yup.

yup yup yup.

The Canucks PP is top 10 again. How in the hell did that happen.

Here's something interesting, even with the best start ever the Hawks still don't match the Canucks best GF and GA from 10/11.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
From the last thread.

Yossarian54:
Because it changes day to day. And there's no really consistent, objective measure. Would you not say Schneider had an excellent game last game? Should he not have then been in net this game? After his shut-out should we not have ridden him?

It just seems to me that people are consistently suggesting we 'ride the hot hand' in the face of a more compressed schedule, and where management seems to have a specific plan as to who starts when. Not having a go at you specifically, more the fact that this seems to be mentioned every time either goalie plays well.
I would not say Schneider had an excellent game last game that we should have continued to ride.

It's been pretty consistent since the start of the season and hasn't changed day to day, IMO-- I don't expect it to last well into the season, but it's very clearly a defined trend right now. I love going with Schneider moving forward, but Schneider has not looked close to as solid as Luongo at any point this season. That's fine, and yes, we can probably afford to give them equal icetime and let him work out his kinks, but at the same time, I think it's smarter to get as many wins in the bag as you can early in a condensed season. I don't think suggesting that we ride Luongo until there's SOME adversity (he hasn't even lost a game yet) is jumping the gun or not looking at the big picture in any stretch.

It's not like riding him until he loses once means it's going to last a long time and disrupt Schneider's ability to shake off rust-- All it means is likely a few more wins than otherwise over the next 5-10 games, if we're lucky that it lasts that long. What we're doing is fine if we know for a fact that we'll easily waltz into the playoffs as a top seed without much adversity, but who knows what happens down the stretch when the schedule gets tough-- we're kind of wasting Luongo's groove a bit, IMO.

We benefitted with riding the hot hand when Schneider as a backup looked unstoppable for a little while last year-- What is so crazy about riding Luongo for a bit?

LiquidSnake:
Alex Auld was never better than Cloutier.

The year Cloutier had a knee injury and missed the season, Auld took the starting job and the Canucks missed the playoffs.

Cloutier had pretty good reg season numbers. He was just terrible in the playoffs.
I completely disagree. I never liked Cloutier's game, even when he was doing really well numbers-wise and even when he wasn't choking-- I think the team really helped him out in the regular season, personally. Auld looked like he would never have out of the ordinary moments, but he was at least adequate.

Last edited:

nucksfan8888

Aug 9, 2006
I kinda look back on Cloutier/Auld as a lower parallel to Loungo/Schneider.

Cloutier being like Loungo with the flashier more athletic style and the better goalie when on top of his game.

While Auld like Schneider seemed more consistent and more technical but his top end game was not that of Cloutier.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Cloutier UGH

Being back in my high school days in Winnipeg, I wonder if Burke would go out and get some goaltending but no..I had to witness that albatross of a goaltender.

I prayed for Naslund/Bertuzzi to run up the score so Cloutier can have his stellar "stats"

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
Cloutier UGH

Being back in my high school days in Winnipeg, I wonder if Burke would go out and get some goaltending but no..I had to witness that albatross of a goaltender.

I prayed for Naslund/Bertuzzi to run up the score so Cloutier can have his stellar "stats"
Burke is completely unable to acquire solid goaltending.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Henrik 5th overall in +/-?

Kind of surprised for some reason. Good for him.
They've seemed alot more involved defensively this year, while seemingly sacrificing a bit of offense-- They look alot like the Sedins that played the year after Anson Carter was here (who were among our best PKers and were excellent defensively).

I don't know if that's regression or progression, but I think it bodes well for the playoffs.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Detroit's winless in, what, 5 games? They're going to be hungry in their own barn. We need our team to bring will and skill to this one.

Rotang

Sep 30, 2005
Dallas, TX
Are we witnessing Tanev's transition into a top-four defenseman? He looked fantastic with Edler last night, and has probably been one of our more consistent d-men this season alongside Ballard.

I'm inclined to say yes if that pairing sticks. It also gives the Canucks some interesting options matchup wise when Hamhuis-Bieksa have their off nights.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Are we witnessing Tanev's transition into a top-four defenseman? He looked fantastic with Edler last night, and has probably been one of our more consistent d-men this season alongside Ballard.

I'm inclined to say yes if that pairing sticks. It also gives the Canucks some interesting options matchup wise when Hamhuis-Bieksa have their off nights.

Defensively, Tanev is top-four level, IMO. Which really, is what we need from him. He makes smart, safe plays and is able to do so at a high pace.

Garrison and Ballard aren't a typical "bottom pairing", though. Wasn't there an article posted recently showing that they got more icetime than a lot of 3rd pairings in the league?

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
As much as I complain about his passing ability, he is the heart and soul of this team. We are an average team without him.

I agree it does have a lot to do with that but they started picking it up before he came back.

Lundface*

As much as I complain about his passing ability, he is the heart and soul of this team. We are an average team without him.

He has certainly turned around the power play, having a capable right handed player out there has increased the options. Their breakout last game was hideous though, I mean a defencemen going straight up the ice, with one forward on the blueline and 3 of them trailing him?? Who's genius idea was this:shakehead

Saying this is an average team without him is a little silly though. He hasn't been good at all 5 on 5 and it isn't like this team is dominating with him back. Whoever goes on his line suddenly becomes useless, whereas they look good next to a rookie in Schroeder. Certain people won't admit it, but the real leader of this team is Henrik. Yeah sucks that he doesn't shoot enough, but the team has somehow continued winning with both Daniel and Kesler out for extended stretches.

If this team is gonna do any damage though it will be on the back of goaltending and the defence (both scoring and defending). We simply don't have any elite talent upfront outside the twins

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
If this team is gonna do any damage though it will be on the back of goaltending and the defence (both scoring and defending). We simply don't have any elite talent upfront outside the twins

Yeah, but what put us at the top in 2011 was Kesler. When he became elite, so did our team (as a whole). While nobody should expect that kind of season again, Kesler can definitely improve his play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad