Post-Game Talk: GAME #18: Canucks 3, Flames 1 (Hughes, Myers, Sutter)

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Always good to see a win especially if I take the time to watch it. But how often are going to basically play an error-free game like this and have the other team just completely wilt?

It's nice but I'm far from convinced. If we didn't come out like this after a 6-game losing streak we'd have to start questioning the character of the players, and I didn't expect to do that.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
I bitched about Myers all of last game, but he or OJ were easily the best defensemen tonight. Great sticks that broke up the cycle and alot of good puck movement. Myers's skating was completely different tonight and he opened up alot of ice for rushes tonight with minimal mistakes. Probably his best game in a year.

Lotto line were great the whole night and clogged up the neutral zone really well leading to turnovers. Both goals by Myers and Hughes were created by smart forechecking by them and they probably could have gotten 2 or 3 more goals tonight.

Horvat still looks to be skating in mud and I have no idea what happened to his hands, can't handle a pass or make one to save his life. Hoglander is on an island and is still dominating

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
4xz3si.jpg

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I bitched about Myers all of last game, but he or OJ were easily the best defensemen tonight. Great sticks that broke up the cycle and alot of good puck movement. Myers's skating was completely different tonight and he opened up alot of ice for rushes tonight with minimal mistakes. Probably his best game in a year.

Lotto line were great the whole night and clogged up the neutral zone really well leading to turnovers. Both goals by Myers and Hughes were created by smart forechecking by them and they probably could have gotten 2 or 3 more goals tonight.

Horvat still looks to be skating in mud and I have no idea what happened to his hands, can't handle a pass or make one to save his life. Hoglander is on an island and is still dominating
Its almost like Meyers can be a pretty decent player when he uses his tools to do things instead of using them to be lazy.

Reactions: LordBacon and bh53

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
I can't wait till the playoffs
You are going to see some serious landslide losses from teams who were favored.

Yeah that was a pathetic effort by the Flames. They have looked awful in the games I've watched and the Jets and Oilers still have major holes.

Sportsnet might finally get their dream matchup of Habs vs Leafs in the playoffs

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Its almost like Meyers can be a pretty decent player when he uses his tools to do things instead of using them to be lazy.

I don't think its laziness. Myers seems to play better when the team actually plays with a structure that keeps him in check, otherwise he's pure chaos

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Highlight of the game for me was Juolevi leveling Tkachuk

This was my favourite moment, too. Especially as Tkachuk had just gotten away with what felt like his thousandth slew foot on Juolevi in the corner moments earlier. Such a punk.

Juolevi had a really, really nice game tonight, I thought. Smart sticks all over the ice, and a bit of snarl, too.

EDIT:

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017
This was my favourite moment, too. Especially as Tkachuk had just gotten away with what felt like his thousandth slew foot on Juolevi in the corner moments earlier. Such a punk.

Juolevi had a really, really nice game tonight, I thought. Smart sticks all over the ice, and a bit of snarl, too.

EDIT:

this is the new Virtanen Kronwall

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Our breakouts were so much better tonight - a 5 man TEAM - instead of relying on those long stretch passes all the time. HOG and OJ :thumbu:

I've been ticked with Miller's play from the start, and while he made some goofs, he played like he really gave a shit tonight. Good to see.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Canucks were full value for that one - but man, is it terrifying how close it came to going the other way thanks to the Herculean effort of Jacob Markstrom.

But Markstrom aside, the Canucks dominated this one. They probably deserved better outcomes in their previous two outings, so nice to see them finally get rewarded with a big W.

As I already mentioned, loved Juolevi’s game and his hit on Tkachuk. But man, I also loved Hoglander. His shift where his backhander hit the post...the guy is just electrifying. He’s not getting the points, but he makes stuff happen every time he’s out there. So good.

The Lotto Line was threatening all night. Groaned hard when Petey tried to fake to the backhand in the sweet feed from Miller, but they had a great night.

Respect to Jay Beagle for a really good, hard working game, too. He was excellent tonight.

And Alex Edler...always an adventure these days, but man did he get right under the Flames’ skin tonight. It’s a little funny how his gloves seem glued to his hands - I thought for half a second he was actually going to oblige Tkachuk and scrap there at the end.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Happy about the win and even more happy abuot how they won. Sure Calgary wasn't much of an opponent in this one but you can't discredit the Canucks and their first structured defensive effort since the win against the Jets. Now they need to show they can do this consistently. Sacrifice some offense against the better teams if you have to. Just pay attention to the x's and o's of good defense and puck management.

Random comment: I'm loving that Boeser is not only scoring goals but shooting like a shooter. 7 shots to lead the team tonight and 50 on the season, good for 12th in the NHL. This is the shooter/goal scorer I was hoping we'd get when I was watching him during his outstanding rookie year with North Dakota.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
This is the first time this year that the Canucks have put together 3 decent games in a row outside of Ottawa, even though the first 2 they lost. With this condensed season, there is a chance other teams will go into a slide, so there may be a window to get back into play-off contention if they keep playing well.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
All kidding aside you have to wonder why he hasn't slotted in more than 2 games this year, especially when we are playing crap defensively. He was okay tonight, just not worth his salary. Oh well...
Probably wanted to give some rope to Virtanen and check out what Zack was up too.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Looked like so many games Markstrom played in a Canucks uniform last year....Flames really had no business being in this one, but there they were tied 1-1 midway through the third period. And he almost stole another one.

Two more games against the Flames in this series--one at home Monday and another on the road later in the week. Hopefully they don't get Markstrom in both of them, but they probably will.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Hoglander - Pettersson - Boeser
Miller - Horvat - Gaudette
Roussel - Sutter - Pearson
Eriksson - Beagle - Virtanen

These are the forward lines I'd like to see tried. Only one game but it looks like Green may have stumbled upon a decent 4th line. Also think Hoglander and Miller should switch spots and see what comes of that. Lastly, one more thing to shake things up a bit; Gaudette and his energy on the wing might be worth a shot to spark two struggling top 6 forwards in Miller and Horvat.

One more thing: Whenever Motte returns, sub him in for Roussel.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00