Post-Game Talk: GAME #18: Canucks 3, Flames 1 (Hughes, Myers, Sutter)

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
that’s going to be very tough.
We don’t have many right handed prospects except for Jet Woo.

And even trash right handed dman have value around the league simply because of handedness.

should be interesting on who they find.

You know who would be a great fit... A guy in the Calgary line-up named Tanev. I bet he is the perfect type to compliment QH. Imagine if we could find someone like him!

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Well, you can't lose them all. For much of the time it looked like Markstrom theft time again and it would have been awful to lose a game the team absolutely deserved to win. Effort was much more organized and consistent and you could see this team with a little easier schedule and few more practices actually begin to put together some good hockey.

Good

Hoglander - guy is revelation - never thought he could be this good. If he can develop a little more finish he looks like he could score well in the this League. However, right now looks more like a playmaker than scorer. Another real good game.

Edler - did a lot of the grunt work this team needs around their net. Like others much better job of standing up at his blue line and not getting pushed deep all game. Him and Schmidt formed maybe the best combo we've had this year. Schmidt much more effective in getting up ice to support the play and push the play offensively. Most positive I've been about Schmidt all season

Demko - made some important saves and kept his head in the game even when he wasn't getting a lot of action.

Myers - played more conservatively and didn't get himself into as much trouble. Nice work on the winning goal and, in general, moved puck fairly well

Joulevi - compared to most efforts a real improvement. Thought he had good first period and overall was much more involved in the play and much more willing to take on the play at his blue line. Made a couple of good passes that helped create some offense. I've been critical of Joulevi and not optimistic about his chances, but at this point, he doing enough to just play him and live with the results. Glad to see Green had him out late in a one goal game. Confidence and learning good spacing look like crucial elements moving ahead.

Hughes - wonderful goal and jumped up to produce a number of good chances. Thought him and Benn had a very rough first period but got a little better in the last couple of periods . Still don't think this a viable unit and one of the greatest chores the club has is finding Hughes the right partner. And this may not involve spending a lot of money but just finding a player that fits like Schenn seemed to do.

Not So Good

Virtanen - becoming something of expert at making plays that put teammates in awkward and often impossible situations. Play remains random and unpredictable .

Miller - some good things but still more bad than good. When on there is some flair to his play but when not that flair turns into big mistakes. The lotto line seemed close all night but overpassing and being too cute is murdering chances

Gaudette - just not a fan. His type of play causes the lack of organization the team has suffered from all season. Had chances in this game but everything for Gaudette seems to come off broken plays and not a result of playing within a system. Moreover, not close to converting chances he does get. Carried along by the play of others in this game.

Others

Eriksson - good puck management but never looked close to providing the team with more than decent defense. Safer player than many others that play in the bottom 6.

Pettersson - looked very dangerous at times and is improving as the season goes on. Still his line is having trouble in their zone way too often and often lack their former smoothness in their execution with the puck. Just seems a step, or good move, away from really breaking out.

I guess the downside here is that Benning gets his behind saved again for awhile. Still you want to maybe put that aside for a bit and hope that the team can build off this effort. Next game will be crucial in trying establish where the team is actually at.

So no downside as FA already said his job was safe for the rest of the season.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
You always want to get value out of players, especially young players, in any way you can. With that being said, could Gaudette hack it at C in the AHL? Not saying send him down but if in the future he just can't stay in the lineup I can't help but think that down the road he could be of service as a strong centre at that level. Not like the Comets have needed that for years or anything...

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Myers goal reminds me of the one against the Rangers late in the 3rd of a 1-1 game in his first year.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
In terms of what I personally noticed watching this game...

So impressive tonight:
Hughes
Juolevi
Myers
Beagle
Boeser
Hoglander
Demko

So NOT impressive tonight:
Rouselle
Virtanen
Horvat
Miller

lawrence

May 19, 2012
In terms of what I personally noticed watching this game...

So impressive tonight:
Hughes
Juolevi
Myers
Beagle
Boeser
Hoglander
Demko

So NOT impressive tonight:
Rouselle
Virtanen
Horvat
Miller

man what happened to horvat……

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I'm seeing a lot of praise for Myers and Schmidt in this thread. And it's true, they looked a lot better last night. But all this means, IMHO, is that players like Myers and Schmidt are products of their system. When the defensive structure is more organized, they look miles better for it. Especially Myers. It's never been a lack of effort for this player, it's that he's only so good at imposing his will on a game. He's a useful, overpaid cog with some plus features.

It's something to keep in mind should the team turn things around as the season progresses: the system flatters certain players and it's a good way to pump up their value. If it's Green, or whomever that eventually coaches the Canucks into a regular playoff-caliber team, Myers will be a valuable and moveable quantity and that we shouldn't be afraid to pull the trigger to build towards contender status.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Blah, blah, blah. Hope that win felt good, cuz it tasted awful to me.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'm seeing a lot of praise for Myers and Schmidt in this thread. And it's true, they looked a lot better last night. But all this means, IMHO, is that players like Myers and Schmidt are products of their system. When the defensive structure is more organized, they look miles better for it. Especially Myers. It's never been a lack of effort for this player, it's that he's only so good at imposing his will on a game. He's a useful, overpaid cog with some plus features.

It's something to keep in mind should the team turn things around as the season progresses: the system flatters certain players and it's a good way to pump up their value. If it's Green, or whomever that eventually coaches the Canucks into a regular playoff-caliber team, Myers will be a valuable and moveable quantity and that we shouldn't be afraid to pull the trigger to build towards contender status.
Imo Myers, because of his contract, has negative value. I’m not a fan of Schmidt’s contract either, considering what I’ve seen of his play.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
man what happened to horvat……
To me he looks too sluggish to get to the hard areas where he can score gritty goals so he’s trying to do too much with the puck.

His skating doesn’t look great right now.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Based upon their play last night it is appropriate to say Myers and Juolevi had very good games in comparison to previous performances which varied from meh to bad. Was it because they woke up and decided to play at a higher level?

I fear there is an easier answer and that answer lies with the Calgary Flames. They do not play a fast game. They didn't display any kind of puck control. There was no finesse in their puck handling. They couldn't complete passes with wide open passing lanes. They turned the puck over more than Vancouver has in any single game this season. Calgary was plain and simple a terrible hockey team. They flat out stunk up the ice. Think back to how easily Toronto and Montreal skated through the Vancouver D like the Canucks were traffic cops directing them to the net. They couldn't skate with them. When Beagle, Sutter, and Roussel can out skate you, you are not skating well.

Maybe the Canucks had an epiphany and time will tell, but if Calgary is going to continue to play on a par with the Ottawa the Canucks saw earlier in the season, it will be Canucks on the run and Marky on his head. If the Flames get a couple ricochet goals and Demko/Holtby give up an easy one, it will once again become a coin toss game like Thursday was. Teams that skate fast historically give Juolevi trouble as well as Benn, Chatty, Hamonic, Myers, and even Hughes in his own end.

I hope this win was a new leaf turned over, but won't be shocked if the leaf wilts.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I enjoyed the hell outta that result.

Watching it on the hand was just a 60 minute sphincter clench... heh..

What a cool game to see from Juolevi... You saw so many positive qualities come together. His confidence with the puck continues to grow.

Hoglander... Love his vision and shiftiness.. he makes cuts into gaps you dont expect him to.. and wow is he good along the boards...

Miller's turnovers - need to improve.. I believe they will... I hope they will.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Based upon their play last night it is appropriate to say Myers and Juolevi had very good games in comparison to previous performances which varied from meh to bad. Was it because they woke up and decided to play at a higher level?

I fear there is an easier answer and that answer lies with the Calgary Flames. They do not play a fast game. They didn't display any kind of puck control. There was no finesse in their puck handling. They couldn't complete passes with wide open passing lanes. They turned the puck over more than Vancouver has in any single game this season. Calgary was plain and simple a terrible hockey team. They flat out stunk up the ice. Think back to how easily Toronto and Montreal skated through the Vancouver D like the Canucks were traffic cops directing them to the net. They couldn't skate with them. When Beagle, Sutter, and Roussel can out skate you, you are not skating well.

Maybe the Canucks had an epiphany and time will tell, but if Calgary is going to continue to play on a par with the Ottawa the Canucks saw earlier in the season, it will be Canucks on the run and Marky on his head. If the Flames get a couple ricochet goals and Demko/Holtby give up an easy one, it will once again become a coin toss game like Thursday was. Teams that skate fast historically give Juolevi trouble as well as Benn, Chatty, Hamonic, Myers, and even Hughes in his own end.

I hope this win was a new leaf turned over, but won't be shocked if the leaf wilts.

I thought Calgary was down a couple forwards as well last night, forcing them to change their lines somewhat and basically run with three lines.

Kudos to Green though for recognizing the mismatch with Lucic out there, and getting Petterson Boeser and Miller out there for the winning goal.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->