Post-Game Talk: Game 18: Avalanche @ Rangers |Nov 13th 5PM MTN| AVS' TANK MASTERS (Past&Present)

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I see a lot of posts from people who don't understand the role of fighting in hockey because they've either never played it, or never played at a level that demanded fighting.

Yeah, if you don't like every fight that takes place in a hockeygame. It's obviously because you have never played the game yourself, or at high level enough.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Shuffled or not, an open guy in good scoring position is an open guy in good scoring position. Duchene is not seeing the ice like he usually does. If he was making the passes and his linemates were not making the play then that would be a different story, but he isn't making those great passes we have come accustom to.

He's also facing tougher competition than he did last year. Basically if you look at a side-by-side comparison to last season he's facing pretty much the same level of competition that Stastny faced. That means he's gonna have a much tougher time finding passing lanes and room to move out there than he did before. Great players evolve/adapt and it's impressive that he can turn in efforts like he did last night, but no surprise he's not looking as explosive as last season.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Yeah, if you don't like every fight that takes place in a hockeygame. It's obviously because you have never played the game yourself, or at high level enough.

Correct. Otherwise you would understand that when two guys go toe to toe, they're taking punches for their whole team so that nobody else has to take them.

It's a brotherhood code.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Was it just me, or did the NHL Network feed (I believe they were streaming the NY commentators) say Duchene didn't make the Olympic team last year.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Correct. Otherwise you would understand that when two guys go toe to toe, they're taking punches for their whole team so that nobody else has to take them.

It's a brotherhood code.

But this entire argument falls when there is a bunch of ex NHLers that think fighting should be taken out completely. I'm not one of them myself.

You can be as pro-fighting as you like. But come on.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I am so bored to death by fights like McLeod vs Glass. Has no point what so ever. I watched the game on delay last night and whenever McLeod has one of his pointless fights I fastforward. Standing up for a teammate is one thing, but McLeod vs Glass off the draw or from nowhere like that? Jeez, can't you two guys go back stage and fight and avoid stopping the game at least?

What in the world are you watching. The delay must change what the game looks like.

You can CLEARLY see that McCleod went after Glass because of the hit he attempted on Redmond. It wasnt out of nowhere, and it certainly wasnt staged.

Glass came looking for a big, open ice hit on Redmond. Glass had no intention of playing the puck at all AND he came in from the blind side on Redmond. Redmond managed to react but Glass was certainly looking to make a monster hit.

Thats the exact perfect time for McCleod to fight. Its to make sure that guys like Glass cant go around trying to rock people without having to respond to it.

McCleod wasnt just standing up for Redmond, he was making sure the other team didnt go taking runs at guys.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I shouldn't do this, I don't even follow him but it was RTed into my timeline. I can't let being this obvious go.

@coachbri1: Coaches who were players often forget that when they played,criticism &punishment increases the cycle of doubt making players tighter.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I see a lot of posts from people who don't understand the role of fighting in hockey because they've either never played it, or never played at a level that demanded fighting.

Isnt it a pretty well known fact that Roy thinks fighting should be gotten rid? Dont get me wrong, I love this aspect of the game and would hate to see it leave. Just saying, Roy played at a pretty high level.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Isnt it a pretty well known fact that Roy thinks fighting should be gotten rid? Dont get me wrong, I love this aspect of the game and would hate to see it leave. Just saying, Roy played at a pretty high level.

He says the game is changing and thinks fighting will become less and less of a factor but he's the one who put Bordy out there for 82 games and gave Maggio a good look in preseason. He might not be big on fighting but he still seems to appreciate protection.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I shouldn't do this, I don't even follow him but it was RTed into my timeline. I can't let being this obvious go.

Punishment and criticism?

Ugh. Roy has been everything but critical to his players. Hes praised non-stop how hard theyre working. Unless hes lashing out at them in practice or in the locker room....of which there are no reports.

And punishment? The only real way to punish a hockey player is to reduce their ice time, put them with inferior players. ROR is 2nd among forwards in ice time. Plays with our top center and plays on our top PP unit.

Absolutely ridiculous tweet.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

Ugh. Roy has been everything but critical to his players. Hes praised non-stop how hard theyre working. Unless hes lashing out at them in practice or in the locker room....of which there are no reports.

And punishment? The only real way to punish a hockey player is to reduce their ice time, put them with inferior players. ROR is 2nd among forwards in ice time. Plays with our top center and plays on our top PP unit.

Roy did bag skate them after the Islanders game.

I don't think every tweet from Baba O'Reilly refers to Avalanche. He's a general hockey motivational weird guy.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Roy did bag skate them after the Islanders game.

I don't think every tweet from Baba O'Reilly refers to Avalanche. He's a general hockey motivational weird guy.

I dont think so either.

But he does say coaches who were previously players...so I just assumed.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
If it wasn't directed at the Avs, it's odd timing given that Roy is a former player and O'Reilly was basically singled out by Roy on the Fan.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Yeah...it's not extremely possible that he is referring to something else entirely unrelated to the Avalanche...

Come on now :shakehead

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The way I see it is Tanguay is really the only one who has sparked anyone in a meaningful way so be it Mitchell/Everberg, Iginla or Duchene it is pretty much choose which one is the most important to keep it going and I choose Duchene. O'Reilly and Duchene benefit each other, maybe it has been more secondary this season but there is a reason why Duchene keeps repeating that they know exactly what each other is going to do on the ice.

I know MacKinnon was on the "third" line today and if there hadn't been OT he would have ended up with 15 minutes. MacKinnon has had some chemistry with Landy and Iginla at times, so I would be ok with that as a line.

Briere's only spot really is on the 3rd line. If they stick him on the 4th just to get some playing time it really doesn't matter because that line is irrelevant anyway but the little Briere does will disappear on that line.

O'Reilly hasn't looked good at all this season no matter who he's played with, be it Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon, Iginla, etc. That's why I would take him away from Duchene's line and put Iginla back there, because at least Iginla has shown this season, in the time he's played with Duchene, to have good chemistry with him. Throw the other natural fit Tanguay there with him, and it's pretty straight forward to me, that's the line that should be our 1st line.

And Briere IMO can have an effect on the 4th line. Our current 4th line doesn't really provide us with energy right now, so why not take out a useless player in favour of someone who has the ability to create offense on his own in the offensive zone? It's as simple as replacing Cliche for Briere. Given the amount of times Roy likes to start our 4th line in the offensive zone, I think it's more beneficial to have Briere on that 4th line generating something off of those starts

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I am so bored to death by fights like McLeod vs Glass. Has no point what so ever. I watched the game on delay last night and whenever McLeod has one of his pointless fights I fastforward. Standing up for a teammate is one thing, but McLeod vs Glass off the draw or from nowhere like that? Jeez, can't you two guys go back stage and fight and avoid stopping the game at least?

Glass did not take a run. To mee this is two guys trying to justify their role an a meh fight.

McLeod is slow and does nothing on the forecheck. I don't want my fourth line to score but to give us energy and McLeod doesn't do that nearly often. The only reason he's in the lineup is because Bordeleau is out.

It always amazes me how people ail to understand the role guys like McLeod play, and that the game would be very different if star players had to do this all the time, or if it was eliminated completely.

People always say the same thing. He doesn't do this often enough, he doesn't do that often enough. How about you try getting in a fight every week and then going out and forechecking hard every shift, and trying to score goals.

You guys must be getting McLeod's job confused with that of your coworker who sits behind a desk all day trying to avoid paper cuts.

And Robin you didn't watch the play at all. They didn't fight off the draw, Glass took a blindside run at Redmond and just missed catching him up high with the shoulder. This was after they had been running around a bit. McLeod challenged him, and the Rangers played a much more passive game the rest of the way.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
without fighting games would actually become a lot more chippier. People who played competitive hockey know that.

There are players that love to take cheap shots and chirp and bully the smaller players but no matter how tough they are if there is a player that they will have to answer to on the other team they will become a little less brave.

Without McLeod or bordeleau any player could mess with Duchene and mackinnon all they wanted but with those guys in the lineup McLeod would surely meet that player on the ice and have to answer the call. Iginla helps with that a bit too.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
McLeod has a very tough job and sacrifices a lot on the ice. He fights, blocks shots, hits, and just takes a lot of abuse all around. I appreciate that about him.

Just not a good hockey player though and it's hard to watch at times. I think I'd appreciate him even more if he was eating nachos in the press box. Only 4 more years......

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
I'm interested to see if people noticed the same thing; haven't read the thread, so I apologize if this is a repeat:

Last night, on not one, but TWO of the NYR goals, Redmond failed to pick up his man and we were scored on from in close.

I'm a big Redmond fan, love his puck moving abilities, and I understand he will have growing pains... but c'mon mannn, simple plays blown

Last edited:

member 116861

I'm interesting to see if people noticed the same thing; haven't read the thread, so I apologize if this is a repeat:

Last night, on not one, but TWO of the NYR goals, Redmond failed to pick up his man and we were scored on from in close.

I'm a big Redmond fan, love his puck moving abilities, and I understand he will have growing pains... but c'mon mannn, simple plays blown

Yeah, a lot of us noticed.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Yeah...it's not extremely possible that he is referring to something else entirely unrelated to the Avalanche...

Come on now :shakehead

Is it possible? absolutely. Extremely possible? Not so sure.

As someone else pointed out, the comment came after Roy talked about ROR specifically on the radio, after losing 6-0. And it was in regards to a coach, who used to be a player.

Now ask yourself if its extremely possible he was talking about Roy, and his son.

You can play devils advocate all you want, but the timing of the tweet does have lots of coincidences that match with the avs, and ROR, from a person whos been known to spew out public (twitter) criticisms of the avs and their management team.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I'm of the opinion that we can't trade RoR soon enough. I was on the fence before, but now I am 100 percent in the trade RoR camp. I could be wrong, but it's time to move on.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad