GDT: Game 17: Toronto Maple Leafs @ Tampa Bay Lightning | Feb 19 | 7:30 PM | LEAFSTV |

Status
Not open for further replies.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
dy96xw.gif
VS.png
Lightning-Logo.jpg

goleafsgo.gif

The Happy Birthday DirtyDion03 Edition!

5odmyr.jpg

9r4r69.jpg

Projected Toronto Maple Leafs Line-Up
James Van Riemsdyk - Tyler Bozak - Phil Kessel
Leo Komarov – Mikhail Grabovski – Nikolai Kulemin
Clarke MacArthur – Nazem Kadri – Colton Orr
Fraser McLaren - Jay McClement - Mike Brown

Dion Phaneuf – Korbian Holzer
Carl Gunnarsson – Mike Kostka
Mark Fraser – Cody Franson

Ben Scrivens

Projected Tampa Bay Lightning Line-Up
Cory Conacher - Steven Stamkos - Teddy Purcell
Benoit Pouliot - Vincent Lecavalier - Martin St. Louis
Alex Killorn - Tom Pyatt - Nate Thompson
B.J. Crombeen - Adam Hall - Richard Panik

Victor Hedman - Sami Salo
Matt Carle - Eric Brewer
Keith Aulie - Brian Lee
M.A. Bergeron

Anders Lindback

The Toronto Maple Leafs are enjoying one of their best road starts in franchise history.

That could be bad news for a Tampa Bay Lightning club that's dropped its last three on home ice.

Toronto goes for a two-game Florida sweep on Tuesday night when it tries to win its fifth in a row in this series.

With Ben Scrivens making 37 saves for his second consecutive shutout, the Maple Leafs (10-6-0) won 3-0 over Florida on Monday to improve to 7-2-0 on the road for the first time since 1940-41.

The only other time the team had a better start as the visitor was 1934-35, when it began 7-1-1.

"We're still very much a work in progress,'' said coach Randy Carlyle, whose team has won six of seven overall.

Toronto will face the Lightning for the first time since outscoring them 20-7 while sweeping the four-game season series in 2011-12. The Maple Leafs won the two matchups in Tampa by a combined 10-2 margin after getting shut out in each of their two visits the previous season.

After giving Toronto its first set of back-to-back shutouts since Feb. 1-4, 2012, Scrivens will likely be in net again in place of injured starter James Reimer (knee). In his only appearance against the Lightning, Scrivens turned aside 35 shots in a 3-2 overtime home win on April 5, 2012.

Tampa Bay (7-6-1) is home after ending an 0-5-1 skid with Saturday's 6-5 overtime victory over the Panthers. Down by two in the third period, the Lightning forced the extra period on goals by Steven Stamkos and Teddy Purcell before Benoit Pouliot finished the comeback with his first two-goal game since an 8-0 Boston win over Toronto on March 19.

"We never quit. That's never a question and never will be a question and we showed it again tonight,'' said Stamkos, whose two goals and an assist tied him with Martin St. Louis with a team-best 21 points. "We finally got a bounce our way on the overtime goal. Hopefully, this sparks some momentum and will help us moving forward.''

Coach Guy Boucher would also like to build off the team's first win since Feb. 1 against Winnipeg, but he doesn't want to make too much out of one victory.

"Now it's a whole different ballgame tomorrow, a different team," Boucher said after Monday's practice. "We focus on ourselves, but it's a whole new day. It's going to be a whole new story."

A different ending is what the Lightning need at home, where they're 0-2-1 since opening 5-0-0 there for the first time since 2007-08. Tampa Bay's last four-game home skid was March 14-20, 2010.

Anders Lindback will make a second straight start in net - and get his first look at the Maple Leafs - after missing Thursday's 4-3 home loss to Washington due to an illness. Lindback has one of the NHL's highest goal-support averages at 4.36.

Tampa Bay is averaging .57 fewer shots than Toronto (28.0), but it leads the league in shot percentage (14.3) and goals per game (3.93).

Maple Leafs leading goal-scorer James van Riemsdyk has six of his eight scores on the road, while teammate Phil Kessel has netted all three of his goals and 10 of his 12 points outside Toronto after finding the back of the net on Monday.

goleafsgo.gif

164468_10200156374084505_1668487373_n.jpg

:towel: :towel: :towel:

Last edited:

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
Tampa isn't an overly big team, and even the size they have is kinda soft outside of Crombeen. Need to be physical against their smaller stars like St Louis and Conacher.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Tampa isn't an overly big team, and even the size they have is kinda soft outside of Crombeen. Need to be physical against their smaller stars like St Louis and Conacher.

True, and Malone is injured .. Gotta use size and the team's structure to limit Tampa's chances

Won't be an easy one tonight, but gotta find a way to get two points

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Not a fan of 730 starts.

Agreed, that half hour (while small in the grand scheme of things) throws off my night completely. I'm used to leaving work and making it home just in time for faceoff but now.......I might have time to order dinner~ Long live the 7:30!

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
This might be one of those rare times when the thunder comes ahead of the Lightning.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Nice GDT, next team ahead of us in our division, are the Habs by 1 point, lets get a win and jump to a tie, for first in the East.

Go Leafs Go!

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Gotta imagine we lose this one on the backend of a double, but a buffer ahead of the Buffalo game at home would be nice

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Agreed, that half hour (while small in the grand scheme of things) throws off my night completely. I'm used to leaving work and making it home just in time for faceoff but now.......I might have time to order dinner~ Long live the 7:30!

I PVR and start watching around 8 or so. 730 starts don't let me build up enough of a buffer and then at some point I'm forced to watch intermission/commercials.

Pet peeve, not the end of the world.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I also like 7PM starts. Bit of a kick in the butt to get everything done before the game.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Happy B day Dion. Hopefully we can continue this streak. Not holding my breath though.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
This years rendition of the Lightning reminds me of the leafs under Wilson. All offense no defense. I was listening to Andreychuk this morning on the FAN and he descibed the Ligthnings problems very much like we used to be: Early goals against in the game, and late period goals against.

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
won the tickets on fan590 name that leaf for thursday this morning.

and a leaf game night? also, brewing some home brew today. life is good right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00