GDT: Game 17: New York Rangers(8-6-3) @ Seattle Kraken(8-5-3) - 7:00 p.m. PT / 10:00 p.m. ET

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I don't really agree with your assessment of how to defend a lead but I don't have the time to argue that right now. Soucy didn't just take that penalty, he took one earlier as well, plus the Winnipeg game. It's a pattern. His decisions are poor. He needs to be better.

There is a big difference between "defending a lead" and "weathering the final minutes of a game with a one goal lead".

I never suggested the team sit back when ahead, but when you have a one goal lead with two minutes to play, your center can absolutely not recklessly doubleteam the puck behind the opponents net when the other team is cheating to exit the zone early and take chances.

The center should have circled back before the goalline and recognized his assignment.

I also was not commenting on the Winnipeg game.

There is a huge difference between the penalties in the Rangers game and that act in the Jets game. Soucy's penalty against Winnipeg was inexcusable, but he is a rather inexperienced player, and you hope he learns from it. The second penalty in the Rangers game looked worse than it was, I think Soucy was expecting to get plastered into the boards and was trying to initiate a reverse hit on Fox, and Fox backed off at the last moment. But I agree, Soucy has to be more careful in those situations, especially being 6'7". What would be a shoulder or elbow to the chest for most players is a head shot when Soucy attempts it.

Bottom line, it is ridiculous to define a player from a couple of plays in two games when he has been relatively disciplined up to that point.

Last season Soucy was 7th in penalties taken per game by Kraken D.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Yeah. Gru ain't getting traded. The best case for Gru would be that he can play well and we have a real 1A, 1B situation on our hands. Worst case, Gru becomes an overpaid backup this season.

The bigger concern here is what happens when Driedger returns.
Gru or Driedger are gone. Probably Driedger seeing as there was a market for him before the Seattle Expansion draft. I think there are enough NHL teams looking for a different 'tender that Driedger gets moved

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad