GDT: Game 17: New York Rangers(8-6-3) @ Seattle Kraken(8-5-3) - 7:00 p.m. PT / 10:00 p.m. ET

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I swear a lot of non-Kraken fans said that Bura had nights off and was defensively questionable. So far this season that does not seem to be an issue. He seems to have a high level of effort.
Bura has been a really good addition, but there have been several goals where if he even tried to play a little D, he could have likely prevented them, but they aren't happening every game, and he brings a lot more to the team than he is costing them currently. But I definitely can see why some fans could get down on him for his effort sometimes.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
All of our games have started looking like playoff style games. We were scoring like crazy a while back but seems like we are playing smarter and more defensive hockey now.

Something changed a couple weeks ago. They stopped chasing the puck and their defensive spacing went from terrible to actually pretty good.

I don't have any clue what or who got through to the team, or if it is maybe just a side effect of not juggling lines so much and players learning to play together and trust each other, but with the way they are playing, (and if their PP keeps clicking), I really think this team could actually push for a playoff spot this year.

Reactions: majormajor

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
And not to forget. Jones has been phenomenal for us off-late.

Dude is currently at 8-4-2 with a .912 SV% and 2.34 GAA so far this season.
During his last seven starts he's saved 188 out of 198 going 5-1-1 with a .949 SV% and a 1.43 GAA.
giphy.gif

Overall the team seems to be playing pretty well together and, as strange as that might sound after last season, is able to compete with other teams thanks to their structure and team play.

I like it and after 18 games we're already over one third of the point total from last season.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I was thinking about this last game, but what do we do when Gru gets back? No way i could give Gru the starting role back, with the way Jones has been playing. Right?
I'd be looking for a place or team to trade Grubauer to,Jones has made his case and he's the number 1

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I was thinking about this last game, but what do we do when Gru gets back? No way i could give Gru the starting role back, with the way Jones has been playing. Right?

I think it's more of a split/sharing he net betweend both of them.

Jones looks fantastic right now but he said himself that playing all those games in San Jose was a big factor in his decline as he couldn't handle it.

Grubauer, on the other hand, actuallly looked good in that Colorado game(even though he was below .900 SV%) before he got hurt.

I'd be looking for a place or team to trade Grubauer to,Jones has made his case and he's the number 1

Yeah, say goodbye to our first round pick if you want to get rid off Grubauer and his contract.

No one's going to take on that contract, even with the cap rising next offseason, unless 1) he comes back and plays well enough or 2) we give up something nice or take on a bad contract as well.

BTW: Given how Jones has been playing has me thinking that Driedger(who supposedly will play this season according to people around the team) might be the guy out the door.

Reactions: Sad People

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Wonder if a team like the Oilers or Leafs would be interested In Driedger? If the money works.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
A great game with great goaltending on both sides.

We really need to find an upgrade for Soucy though. Big sense of deja vu at the end of that one. Only difference we won this one in OT.
Two unnecessary penalties this time. You just can't do that in a one goal game against a team that good.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021

We really need to find an upgrade for Soucy though. Big sense of deja vu at the end of that one. Only difference we won this one in OT.
Two unnecessary penalties this time. You just can't do that in a one goal game against a team that good.
I dont think we need to find his replacement, but he does need to learn some dang discipline. Hes gotta learn that penalties like that arent acceptable.

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
Jones had better be the starter. Don’t care if Gru’s feelings get hurt over it. Gru needs to step up his play when he is in there. Jones has earned the starting position in between the pipes.
The stats and success of his play don’t lie.

Reactions: Sad People

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

There's no point in searching for a potentially costly Soucy replacement. Just let him grow out of it.

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
Please fire that Englishman he's horrible.
Couldn't agree more! ROOT can't find anyone who knows a bit about hockey?? Maybe it's like the Gru situation is gonna be soon. ROOT signed him to a contract and is using him even though there's better options.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
L

I'm not really hanging the last game tying PP on Soucy. He got beat, but he took the hook to prevent the scoring chance and a lot of that was on his linemates.

With a one goal lead with two and a half minutes to go in the game, your center and F1 forward should not be crashing the boards behind the opponents net, getting caught. Soucy was the last line of defense and supporting his partner who was challenging the puck carrier, but there was no defensive support through the neutral zone. The third Kraken forward was overloading the puck leaving the most dangerous player on the play (the streaking pass outlet) for Soucy to defend, but he had a gap issue (due to the way the play broke out) and couldn't step up or adjust because of the speed and distance at the time of the pass. Had he stepped up or slowed down his retreat he would have been beaten cleanly.

With two minutes to play in a game, there should be at least 3 guys back watching the blueline, and a forward should be sitting in those passing lanes and forcing a different route for a speedy Gauthier to take.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
L

I'm not really hanging the last game tying PP on Soucy. He got beat, but he took the hook to prevent the scoring chance and a lot of that was on his linemates.

With a one goal lead with two and a half minutes to go in the game, your center and F1 forward should not be crashing the boards behind the opponents net, getting caught. Soucy was the last line of defense and supporting his partner who was challenging the puck carrier, but there was no defensive support through the neutral zone. The third Kraken forward was overloading the puck leaving the most dangerous player on the play (the streaking pass outlet) for Soucy to defend, but he had a gap issue (due to the way the play broke out) and couldn't step up or adjust because of the speed and distance at the time of the pass. Had he stepped up or slowed down his retreat he would have been beaten cleanly.

With two minutes to play in a game, there should be at least 3 guys back watching the blueline, and a forward should be sitting in those passing lanes and forcing a different route for a speedy Gauthier to take.
I don't really agree with your assessment of how to defend a lead but I don't have the time to argue that right now. Soucy didn't just take that penalty, he took one earlier as well, plus the Winnipeg game. It's a pattern. His decisions are poor. He needs to be better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad