Post-Game Talk: Game 17 - B's wake up too late - Philadelphia 3 BRUINS 2 F/SO

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Video Review: Puck Over Goal Line
Result: Call Upheld - No Goal Boston
Explanation: The Situation Room initiated a video review after the puck crossed the Philadelphia goal line. The Referee informed the Situation Room he had no goal on the ice due to goaltender interference.

So if the referee's call overrides all else , what is the point of the video review? Isn't the point of the review to determine if there actually was goalie interference?

Reactions: GoBs

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
First mini-slump of the season. Not a big deal in itself but testing times for the Bruins nonetheless. They've had their hot start to make the point that they're not stewing too much on the SCF loss, but that's past now and the grind begins. The challenge for the Bs is that every team except the Blues is fresher than they are, every team except the 4-5 with zero hope of making the playoffs is that bit hungrier than they are, and most teams have a higher ceiling in terms of the amount of improvement they can hope to get out of their new/modified lineups for this season, at least until the proper trade period rolls around.

The next 3 games demonstrate different facets of that challenge. The Panthers are an up-and-coming team playing good, quick, gritty hockey with increasing confidence. Their defense is still pretty sloppy but the 1st line is buzzing and they're having little trouble scoring - they've already netted 4+ goals 10 times this season. The Leafs are having their struggles but they'll never roll over for us in Toronto, and the Caps are the Bs kryptonite and the best team in the NHL right now with a major chip on their shoulders are their shock early exit last postseason. It's tough every night for Boston but there's nothing to be done but for the players to roll up their sleeves, get to work and find a way to land some points.

Reactions: BMC

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I just saw the replay again. I’m sorry that goal should’ve counted. No explanation at the time..BS

Nah, Clifton clearly takes out Hart's right leg inside the crease as he's skating past after his net drive. As obvious a case of goaltender interference as you could ever hope to see. No issues with that decision.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
something looks really wrong with this team

remember 10 years ago watching the top two lines cycle the puck for minutes on end hemming opponents into their zone til they were gassed?

this current team just seems to rely on weird broken low percentage plays to score most of the time. they can’t seem to hold onto the puck for more than like 10 seconds in the offensive zone

Bruce needs to figure it out, getting tired of watching teams hem us into our own end for long stretches while we can’t seem to make two consecutive passes without a turnover

I've noticed this as well - too much north-south hockey. Lately an awful lot of our offensive plays seem to be quick rushes or dump-ins that result in one crack at the net or a turnover and then the puck is rapidly going the other way again. Of course there's a place for those plays, but they need to be balanced by efforts to create sustained pressure and zone time with repeat cycles. We're not working the opposing D hard enough or putting sufficient time into finding the flaws in their structure and positioning. I could be way off but I feel like the Bs need to have a good look at this aspect of their game, 'cause their current offensive tactics just aren't producing consistently enough.

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Honestly though, when was the last time the Bruins scored A goal in a shootout?

Against Vegas on 20 February. Game ended 2-2, and the SO was won on the 12th shot when David Backes beat Fleury glove side to score the winner. I remember it well because everyone was shocked when Cassidy sent Backes out but then he did it so calmly and easily - no fuss just straight-up ripped the puck top right corner. Bs could certainly use some more of that these days.

Reactions: BMC and Krupp

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Nothing to worry about, shit happens all the time.
What's important... we know when they're on they're a top team. The whole team is off, coaches included.

It's only a very long training camp for the real season... the playoffs.

Reactions: DKH

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Bruins are not built for 3v3 and shootouts are a crapshoot.
3 on 3 I agree with.They might have the least amount of options for player combos in the league to send out there.

That they’re so awful in shootouts is odd though. They have some guys with good hands. You’d think one of them would be money in the bank just by pure luck by now

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
[QUOTE="easton117, post: 166548637, member: 294439"]3 on 3 I agree with.They might have the least amount of options for player combos in the league to send out there.

That they’re so awful in shootouts is odd though. They have some guys with good hands. You’d think one of them would be money in the bank just by pure luck by now[/QUOTE]

I'm mind boggled by Cassidy's 3v3 decisions. Kuraly? Nordstrom? Really??? At that point, just give Bjork, Senyshyn a shot.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
[QUOTE="easton117, post: 166548637, member: 294439"]3 on 3 I agree with.They might have the least amount of options for player combos in the league to send out there.

That they’re so awful in shootouts is odd though. They have some guys with good hands. You’d think one of them would be money in the bank just by pure luck by now

I'm mind boggled by Cassidy's 3v3 decisions. Kuraly? Nordstrom? Really??? At that point, just give Bjork, Senyshyn a shot.[/QUOTE]
Lol ya when I saw Nordstrom out there I wondered if Cassidy took that puck Krug shot over the boards earlier right off the coconut.

Guess lightning strikes every now and again but surely one of the kids might’ve had some legs still at that point

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm mind boggled by Cassidy's 3v3 decisions. Kuraly? Nordstrom? Really??? At that point, just give Bjork, Senyshyn a shot.
Lol ya when I saw Nordstrom out there I wondered if Cassidy took that puck Krug shot over the boards earlier right off the coconut.

Guess lightning strikes every now and again but surely one of the kids might’ve had some legs still at that point[/QUOTE]

I will say, I kind of understand why he did it. It was more of a "play not to lose" move. Throw a defensive minded group out there while your big guns rest. Not saying I agree with it, but I see the strategy to it.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

I'm mind boggled by Cassidy's 3v3 decisions. Kuraly? Nordstrom? Really??? At that point, just give Bjork, Senyshyn a shot.[/QUOTE]
Sometimes Cassidy can be a lot like Julián in his decision making, playing it seems not to lose more than playing to win.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
and for Tuesday Id roll with

marchand-Bergeron-Heinen
Cehlarik-Krejci-Pasta
Bjork-Coyle-Senny
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner

shouldve been this last nite- especially with the top line struggling right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad