GDT: Game 17 - Blue Jackets @ Avalanche - Finnish Them Off

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That was sweet. Didn't like MacKinnon's lack of involvement in most parts of the game but Makar just took over. It's a shame people will only talk about his offensive highlights. What a player.

I dont think they will. Dude was a legitimate beast all over the ice tonight. His reads at both ends are getting better and better as he adapts to the NHL game more. For example his read in the 3rd period that led to his "almost breakaway" after poking the puck from the Jackets forward was a world class read again.

We're basically watching a kid evolve into a superstar right in front of us. Took him a couple of weeks to learn the NHL game and NHL speed but he's getting it right now.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Jost had two assists and drew another penalty. How many penalties has he drawn this season? It seems like a high number.

I'm glad someone else is noticing this. He's been drawing penalties with his hard work all year.

Jost is 2nd on the team in penalties drawn with eight. Behind only MacKinnon who is not surprisingly tied for 2nd in the league.

NHL.com - Stats

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I thought both Nichushkin and Jost had good games. Calvert is a pretty good fit with MacKinnon since he can keep up and MacKinnon doesn't have to pay as much attention to defense.

Have you ever played a multiplayer game with a one second lag? That's what watching Burakowski reminds me of. He's always hanging on to the puck for too long and doesn't recognize when teammates are open in time. Good for him that he has the skating and skills to at least half make up for it.

Girard looked better but is still at times a bit too carefree with the puck, but a step forward for him.

Makar was dominant. He was playing with the confidence he needs to play with so he can jump up in the play.
That’s the best description of Burakovsky that could possibly be made.

It’s not that he lacks the skill or speed to do things, it’s that the initial decision to do anything is delayed by a second.

Burakovsky is a video game lag.

LTC Pain

Jul 1, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm calling complete BS to Foligno "being sick to his stomach" over the hit on Bellemare. Foligno targeted the head, left his feet, and used an elbow with intent to injure. Then reacts like he did nothing wrong. Same reaction to those claiming Foligno "isn't that type of player" - complete BS. He just proved he is. I hope Foligno gets a 3-5 game suspension and Big Z train wrecks him the next time we play the BJs!

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Makar is easily our best D right now, not even close. Maybe he should be playing more minutes.

This.

I mentioned the minutes in the Makar thread, but it’s time for him to be unleashed a little bit more.

I’d like to see him up towards 22 minutes a night. I think what holds him back is the fact that he’s playing with Graves. If Makar was a lefty and was paired with EJ, he’d likely be getting more minutes.

Next season he will probably be paired with Bryam, which will help, but Bednar has to figure out a way to get him more ice.

With the injuries right now, his ability to create is so huge.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Next season he will probably be paired with Bryam, which will help, but Bednar has to figure out a way to get him more ice.
There's little chance he plays next to Byram next year. He'll be on the top pair with Girard and Byram in no way will be ready to play that much. I find it odd that you think Byram will be ready to jump in and play next to Makar next season when he couldn't even make the team this year.

Also what's with shitting on Graves around here? He's been Makar's steadiest partner so far. I think people honestly just don't like him because he was received in a minor league deal.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
There's little chance he plays next to Byram next year. He'll be on the top pair with Girard and Byram in no way will be ready to play that much. I find it odd that you think Byram will be ready to jump in and play next to Makar next season when he couldn't even make the team this year.

Also what's with ****ting on Graves around here? He's been Makar's steadiest partner so far. I think people honestly just don't like him because he was received in a minor league deal.

As I mentioned before, Graves is a much better fit next to Makar than Zadorov. He’s just inconsistent right now, but Graves is definitely doing some positive things.

More so, what I meant is that Bednar trusts Johnson the most. So, if Makar was a lefty and was playing next to him, he’d be getting more minutes.

As for Bryam, you’re probably right. It likely won’t be until his sophomore season, that he is the top pairing D with Makar.

But, I do think because of his skill and bigger frame than Girard, that he is destined to play a lot of minutes alongside Makar.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Just watched the game.

1. Looks like the team finally got over feeling sorry for themselves these past few games. Loved the effort and board battles the last few(less so last night). Still too many turnovers for my liking in the dzone. Graves had two bone headed ones last night resulting in a goal and the other lead to a great chance and great save by Francouz. Ian Cole had several. I really dont understand why Ian Cole thinks finessing pucks in his end is a good idea. I dont think his teammates are expecting a Ray Bourque type outlet pass from him. Every time Ian Cole tries to finesse a puck in his own zone it ends up being a turnover. Unacceptable from a guy who knows better.

2. Cale Makar was the best player last night from either side. Looks like hes beginning to figure out the NHL timing. He made a few beauty plays all based off anticipation. His first goal was Mackinnon -esque and the second goal was Calvert esque and he knew it. Love the kids personality aswell in the interview with Lauren.

3. The Foligno hit was disgusting and uncalled for. I know Foligno is not that type of player but thats the kinda head shot that Matt Cooke would be proud of. He needs to be suspended for it. I like that he himself was disgusted. I really hope PEB is good to go but the way he dropped after the hit im not so sure.

4. Thought Girard looked better last night. Moved the puck well, didnt get caught or out worked along the boards. We need him to be good every game and I thought he was good last night.

5. Kamenev, Jost and Nuke were all good especially Nuke. Nobody deserves a goal more than Nuke. Guy works his ass off and seems to always make the right plays. I have never seen an Av so snake bitten before. The closest was Duchene when he went on that long no goal streak that he finally broke on the island.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Something I was thinking about that I’ve noticed about the top pair that I don’t like, EJ pinches in way too much. I’d really prefer he let G do that and stay back as he’s probably going to do better defending (plus G has the wheels to get back quicker in the event of a turnover)

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'm calling complete BS to Foligno "being sick to his stomach" over the hit on Bellemare. Foligno targeted the head, left his feet, and used an elbow with intent to injure. Then reacts like he did nothing wrong. Same reaction to those claiming Foligno "isn't that type of player" - complete BS. He just proved he is. I hope Foligno gets a 3-5 game suspension and Big Z train wrecks him the next time we play the BJs!
Ehhh, I couldn't care less if other teams' players get suspended for two games or whatever. It has nothing to do with our play and the players ought to know that as well. I swear people just want to get mad at hockey because it's a safe outlet.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
I may get blasted for this--Foligno deserved a penalty but I'm not certain it warranted a major. He may have aimed high but he didn't look like he actually made contact with the head. The impact happened when PEB smacked his head on the ice (I got my worst concussion in roller hockey in the same fashion). Nevertheless, that was a dirty, reckless hit, and I'm a little disappointed because I actually like Foligno quite a bit.

He made contact with the head. With arm/elbow. He left his feet. Not difficult.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Just watched the game.

1. Looks like the team finally got over feeling sorry for themselves these past few games. Loved the effort and board battles the last few(less so last night). Still too many turnovers for my liking in the dzone. Graves had two bone headed ones last night resulting in a goal and the other lead to a great chance and great save by Francouz. Ian Cole had several. I really dont understand why Ian Cole thinks finessing pucks in his end is a good idea. I dont think his teammates are expecting a Ray Bourque type outlet pass from him. Every time Ian Cole tries to finesse a puck in his own zone it ends up being a turnover. Unacceptable from a guy who knows better.

2. Cale Makar was the best player last night from either side. Looks like hes beginning to figure out the NHL timing. He made a few beauty plays all based off anticipation. His first goal was Mackinnon -esque and the second goal was Calvert esque and he knew it. Love the kids personality aswell in the interview with Lauren.

3. The Foligno hit was disgusting and uncalled for. I know Foligno is not that type of player but thats the kinda head shot that Matt Cooke would be proud of. He needs to be suspended for it. I like that he himself was disgusted. I really hope PEB is good to go but the way he dropped after the hit im not so sure.

4. Thought Girard looked better last night. Moved the puck well, didnt get caught or out worked along the boards. We need him to be good every game and I thought he was good last night.

5. Kamenev, Jost and Nuke were all good especially Nuke. Nobody deserves a goal more than Nuke. Guy works his ass off and seems to always make the right plays. I have never seen an Av so snake bitten before. The closest was Duchene when he went on that long no goal streak that he finally broke on the island.

I love Nuke's game and I hope we keep him.

Frankie is a beast... another fantastic move by sakic.

Reactions: FreshFitted67

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Something I was thinking about that I’ve noticed about the top pair that I don’t like, EJ pinches in way too much. I’d really prefer he let G do that and stay back as he’s probably going to do better defending (plus G has the wheels to get back quicker in the event of a turnover)

Actually I don't think he was pinching that much until recently. He had been letting Girard do it mostly, but with so many injuries, the coaching staff has been trying to get the D to be more active.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Ehhh, I couldn't care less if other teams' players get suspended for two games or whatever. It has nothing to do with our play and the players ought to know that as well. I swear people just want to get mad at hockey because it's a safe outlet.
So you would be fine with no suspension?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So many players stepped up in this one. Makar, Girard, Nichushkin, Jost, Kamenev, Francouz (other than the one weak one), etc.

Makar was amazing. I was really hoping he could get the hat trick and he came close.

Credit where credit is due with Nichushkin. I didn't like the move but he's earning his ice time right now with how hard he's working. It won't show up in the boxscore but he played a role in three of the goals last night. Oh and he's never scoring a goal again.

Such a ridiculous cheap shot by Foligno. I don't care about the "he's not that type of player" stuff. When you do that, you are that type of player and he should be suspended multiple games. Hopefully Bellemare will be okay.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Pavel Francouz really reminds me of a more agile Calvin Pickard. He's got the same awkward looking movements in net, they're around the same size, and will even cough up a few softies followed up by a ridiculous save. Hopefully Frank can sustain better numbers than Pickard as I'm not quite comfortable with him yet.

Reactions: Murzu

FreshFitted67

Jun 28, 2010
Tibet
www.kitchen.com
Pavel Francouz really reminds me of a more agile Calvin Pickard. He's got the same awkward looking movements in net, they're around the same size, and will even cough up a few softies followed up by a ridiculous save. Hopefully Frank can sustain better numbers than Pickard as I'm not quite comfortable with him yet.
Oh he did everything a backup should do to keep us in that game. We gave up a lot of shots... But I hear what you're saying ....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad