GDT: Game 17 - Blue Jackets at Hurricanes - 2/15 7:00 pm

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
No he isn’t. Jones and even Werenski say hello.

His skating is limited and his defensive reads and ability to tie up sticks in scoring situations are just as bad as anybody at times.

He’s better offensively and worse defensively than how most perceive him.

imo
I’m talking about this season and meaning his defensive play. Today’s game was another example. Offensively he’s obviously limited

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
The next 7 games will absolutely decide our season, we are playing Nashville, Chicago and Detroit only. If we can get at least 10 points, we should be fine going forward.

Reactions: Halberdier

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Well, that’s what everyone said last season when we were 12 points below the play off line, we are in much better spot now

Shhhhhhhh.......

The crow/chicken little jokes don’t work as well without the ridiculous negativity that occurs here each year.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Gavrikov is absolutely better than Savard in every aspect of the game aside from blocking, in which Gavy ain’t to shabby himself. I’m pretty sure 90 percent of our board would agree with my statement

Don’t tempt me with a good time....

People on hfboards have a very short term memory. Gavrikov is good, but nothing special. People were saying wild stuff about Nutivaara at times also.

Reactions: CPTN71

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Don’t tempt me with a good time....

People on hfboards have a very short term memory. Gavrikov is good, but nothing special. People were saying wild stuff about Nutivaara at times also.
We compare Gavrikov and Savard and Gavrikov, he is faster, more agile, and moves better overall. Savard is quite slow and he doesn't have a positional game that isn't so important. I think that Peeke or Kukan will replace him. By the way, maybe you should try Carlsson. I don`t think he make more mistakes than some defensmen. Look at Peeke.

60ntheville

Feb 2, 2021
Granville Oh
Probably not a popular take but I’m sorry these players need to be held accountable just as much s their coach. For that matter the GM should to.

Some of these guys need to play to the back of there ball cards. Seth blows rn, so does Zach. Actually D all together is horrible. Guys on O like our captain, Nash some others ugh I don’t know wether to blame them or the fact that they just frankly blow now and Yarmo has hit the whip with these horses one to many times.

Get some guys who can win a bleeping face off, stop changing the damn lines every other shift and get back to checking and being physical like we are suppose to.

Lastly how bout we hold our long term guys accountable for mistakes made over and over rather than just punishing the new guys . Just my two cents.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Probably not a popular take but I’m sorry these players need to be held accountable just as much s their coach. For that matter the GM should to.

Lastly how bout we hold our long term guys accountable for mistakes made over and over rather than just punishing the new guys . Just my two cents.

From what I’ve read , this is exactly what Laine was trying to escape in Winnipeg. With all the new guys on the team .. going to be a huge rift thru that locker room seeing how Torts is quick to bench Laine , yet Foligno and Savard don’t miss a shift ... not to mention Foligno somehow is always one of top forwards in ice time .

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If COVID-19 problems in our team are the true so we can't evaluate the team's performance, because we don't know who got sick and how it affected them.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
From what I’ve read , this is exactly what Laine was trying to escape in Winnipeg. With all the new guys on the team .. going to be a huge rift thru that locker room seeing how Torts is quick to bench Laine , yet Foligno and Savard don’t miss a shift ... not to mention Foligno somehow is always one of top forwards in ice time .
Torts benched Laine once and not for a bad game, on the second game he had the most forwards ice-time include time in the end when Chicago played without goalie. Next time he had 5+2, of course he cannot play so many time.
Foligno plays PPg before someone must be before goalie and SHg. It`s the reason his time. I think not Laine but Texier, Grigorenko or Kukan can be dissatisfied

Reactions: Halberdier

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Games was an absolute mess. I didn't know in order to score over 2 goals a game we'd have to sacrifice our entire defensive gameplan. We've always looked lost in the DZ with the puck this year, this is no different, but now we look lost without the puck too. Korpisalo has regressed and not making the big saves he was making, but at the same time I find it hard to blame him on he goals because look at the damn shot chart. Its red all over the middle of the ice. Our PP isn't very good and now our PK is joining it. If there was a staple to this team over the past few years it was a reliable PK, and now thats not even true.

We have one line going. Its with the two newest guys.

Also Torts is pissing me off. No offense to Matteau but he has no business playing over almost anybody on our taxi squad. The most offensive example is the case of Foudy, a young player who showed a spark earlier in the year, but also to Bemstrom, who is clearly a player Jarmo likes and yet Torts continues to strap him in the press box.

There comes a point in time this year where we have to look at the future, and its quickly approaching. We need to get Bemstrom in there. We need to get Foudy in there. We need to get Domi going (and when the time comes, he needs to be tried at C again just to try to salvage the experiement). And most importantly we need to get Jones and Werenski on track, the fact their struggles have gone on this long is a red alert to me.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Games was an absolute mess. I didn't know in order to score over 2 goals a game we'd have to sacrifice our entire defensive gameplan. We've always looked lost in the DZ with the puck this year, this is no different, but now we look lost without the puck too. Korpisalo has regressed and not making the big saves he was making, but at the same time I find it hard to blame him on he goals because look at the damn shot chart. Its red all over the middle of the ice. Our PP isn't very good and now our PK is joining it. If there was a staple to this team over the past few years it was a reliable PK, and now thats not even true.

Also Torts is pissing me off. No offense to Matteau but he has no business playing over almost anybody on our taxi squad. The most offensive example is the case of Foudy, a young player who showed a spark earlier in the year, but also to Bemstrom, who is clearly a player Jarmo likes and yet Torts continues to strap him in the press box.

There comes a point in time this year where we have to look at the future, and its quickly approaching. We need to get Bemstrom in there. We need to get Foudy in there. We need to get Domi going (and when the time comes, he needs to be tried at C again just to try to salvage the experiement). And most importantly we need to get Jones and Werenski on track, the fact their struggles have gone on this long is a red alert to me.

I agree Foudy je better than Matteau but Torts had to try Stepan. Bermstrom...it's a problem like as Domi because
1th, Nash is saint for Torts
2th, Torts said Stenlund can play only in TOP 6
3th, Torts never put Foligno to fourth line
4th, we have Texier too.
I would like to see the lines:
Laine-Domi-Bjorkstrand; Texier-Roslovic-Atkinson, Foudy-Stenlund-Bermstrom but what do you think, will Grigo permanently bench and Foligno with Jenner in the 4th line? As it was said in an excelent Russian film "Ivan Vasilyevich changes profession"...I have a bad feeling about this (Меня терзают смутные сомнения)... .

Reactions: hn777

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I agree Foudy je better than Matteau but Torts had to try Stepan. Bermstrom...it's a problem like as Domi because
1th, Nash is saint for Torts
2th, Torts said Stenlund can play only in TOP 6
3th, Torts never put Foligno to fourth line
4th, we have Texier too.
I would like to see the lines:
Laine-Domi-Bjorkstrand; Texier-Roslovic-Atkinson, Foudy-Stenlund-Bermstrom but what do you think, will Grigo permanently bench and Foligno with Jenner in the 4th line? As it was said in an excelent Russian film "Ivan Vasilyevich changes profession"...I have a bad feeling about this (Меня терзают смутные сомнения)... .

I don't know if splitting up the one line thats working right now is the right call. I get the thought process, and eventually when the line produces less I am on board with trying it, but I think the team needs some stability right now. Which I believe is also why Korpi has been given a few starts in a row now even with Elvis healthy.

Grigs is okay. I don't think he really moves the needle much. I'd try this in the short term:

Laine-Roslovic-Atkinson
Texier/Domi-Domi/Texier-Bjorkstrand
Jenner-Stenlund-Grigorenko
Foligno-Nash-Robinson

If this doesn't work, I would start thinking of the long term. The guys who will be here or who we need to get going for the future:

Laine-Roslovic-Bjorkstrand
Bemstrom-Domi-Atkinson
Jenner-Texier-Foudy
Foligno-Stenlund-Robinson

Reactions: hn777 and JKinCLE

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
64 points gets you to the playoffs. CBJ are 7-10 to (7-5-5 to those who want to feel good)

18 points in 17GP *barf*

to get to 64 points then need 46 points in 38 games. 3-2-0 the rest of the year, or 2-1-2.

We don't know if that 64 number is true because we've never played an intra-division only schedule over 56 games with a bunch of loser points.

Reactions: thebus88

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don't know if splitting up the one line thats working right now is the right call. I get the thought process, and eventually when the line produces less I am on board with trying it, but I think the team needs some stability right now. Which I believe is also why Korpi has been given a few starts in a row now even with Elvis healthy.
I agree but ... where is written Domi and Bjork won`t be chemistry with Patrik? If not we can change players in the game. But what I saw, Max and Patrik played very good together (one game the played together). Plus we need minimum two strong lines which can score.
Grigs is okay. I don't think he really moves the needle much. I'd try this in the short term:

Laine-Roslovic-Atkinson
Texier/Domi-Domi/Texier-Bjorkstrand
Jenner-Stenlund-Grigorenko
Foligno-Nash-Robinson
I`m not against Grigo but if we want to play Foudy with Bermstrom somebody must bench.
If this doesn't work, I would start thinking of the long term. The guys who will be here or who we need to get going for the future:

Laine-Roslovic-Bjorkstrand
Bemstrom-Domi-Atkinson
Jenner-Texier-Foudy
Foligno-Stenlund-Robinson
Atkinson and Domi play bad together.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Gavrikov is our best defenseman

He has been as bad as the rest of the defense this season. A couple games back I remember thinking he played the worse game I've ever seen him play. If everyone was at their best Jones would be a better shutdown guy.

Anyone else starting to think this team is not very good?

I got blasted at the beginning of the year for saying this team was a bubble team. That might have been an over evaluation.

Gavrikov is not better than Murray or Savard.

Savard is horrible. He has been going south for a few years now. I would not have let Murray go even in his limited playing time but I understand from their obvious financial crunch why they did it.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I got blasted at the beginning of the year for saying this team was a bubble team. That might have been an over evaluation.

I dunno why anyone ever blasts anyone for calling this team a bubble team. There are like 5 teams in the NHL that aren't bubble teams, it's not really an insult.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Gavrikov is not better than Murray or Savard.

upload_2021-2-17_12-37-43.png

Over the last two seasons, Gavirkov has now logged 500+ minutes away from Savard (and, for these purposes, away from Ryan Murray but they played all of 9 mins together). All of his stats - shot shared, goals for/against, xG% - are better *away* from Savard. By quite a bit. Savard's stats elevated when he played with Murray last year but were/are pretty stagnant with any other non-Gav Dman. That disparity is really heightened in 2021.

upload_2021-2-17_12-41-54.png

They've both logged near the same number of minutes (~105) at 5v5 with different D partners this season. Gavrikov is demonstrably better away from Savard. Savard is the same or worse away from Gavrikov. So the idea that "Savard is a better or equal defender than Gavrikov" is laughable. My eye test (and plenty of others) is that Gav > Savard and the stats back that up over a not insignificant amount of time.
It's hard to tell with Murray because they didn't cross paths much (they appeared together in just 26 regular season games and 9 playoff games last season and were often asked to play different roles). I don't think too many people dispute Murray is a top 4 Dman when healthy...the issue here was he was rarely healthy.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
lowkey should this team be thinking about getting good draft picks to reinforce the roster? Being a middling team is death in this format. I'm asking because I genuinely don't know what this roster is capable of. I'm a sucker for long term strategy and patience if needed.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

- One thing I've been wondering about is whether we actually sacrificed defense for offense. In this game it looked more like we just sucked at defense. It wasn't like guys were blowing the zone, they just didn't know where to be in the D-zone. The upside of that is that you can fix that problem without screwing up the newfound offense.

- I don't know why Matteau in the lineup is getting any flak here. It looks like people just saw a player that doesn't do much, in a game that the team badly lost, and are firing away on that. He didn't get scored on in this game, didn't get outchanced or anything either. The team is scoring goals too, so why does Matteau matter here? I don't know what to expect from him in particular, but a player that can hit hard and not get scored on is a valuable thing right now. I'd take that over Stenlund last game, and over Domi almost every game.

- I'm not ready at all to look past this season, not for at least another month. Until then the players who are obviously a drag on the team (Domi) are on notice to either play better or sit. We should be trying to win not run a salvage yard. What do we really get from Domi anyways, if at some point at the end of the year he ends up playing like an acceptable 2C? A year from that point he'll be gone anyways, maybe you get a pick for him. Either way, that is low priority stuff.

- Foudy and Bemstrom can develop in the AHL, playing top minutes there is probably better for them than the NHL regardless of what the Jackets are doing.

- I don't know why you're talking about Jones after last game. He and Gavrikov dominated by every measure, goals, expected goals, etc... Jones has three games in a row now with 70%+ xG.

Reactions: rotsbu and I3LI3

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
- One thing I've been wondering about is whether we actually sacrificed defense for offense. In this game it looked more like we just sucked at defense. It wasn't like guys were blowing the zone, they just didn't know where to be in the D-zone. The upside of that is that you can fix that problem without screwing up the newfound offense.

- I don't know why Matteau in the lineup is getting any flak here. It looks like people just saw a player that doesn't do much, in a game that the team badly lost, and are firing away on that. He didn't get scored on in this game, didn't get outchanced or anything either. The team is scoring goals too, so why does Matteau matter here? I don't know what to expect from him in particular, but a player that can hit hard and not get scored on is a valuable thing right now. I'd take that over Stenlund last game, and over Domi almost every game.

- I'm not ready at all to look past this season, not for at least another month. Until then the players who are obviously a drag on the team (Domi) are on notice to either play better or sit. We should be trying to win not run a salvage yard. What do we really get from Domi anyways, if at some point at the end of the year he ends up playing like an acceptable 2C? A year from that point he'll be gone anyways, maybe you get a pick for him. Either way, that is low priority stuff.

- Foudy and Bemstrom can develop in the AHL, playing top minutes there is probably better for them than the NHL regardless of what the Jackets are doing.

- I don't know why you're talking about Jones after last game. He and Gavrikov dominated by every measure, goals, expected goals, etc... Jones has three games in a row now with 70%+ xG.

I’m just going to say it, you might be my favorite poster on our boards. Nearly every one of your thoughts are the same as mine and I love your usage of advanced stats in your posts to back up certain arguments/opinions. Props major(x2)

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad