GDT: Game 17: Avs @ Habs | November 14, 2015 | 5 PM MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Attended the Notre Dame-Wake Forest game today, so I missed it. Great win! I look forward to watching the replay mañana. Glad MacK's keeping up his PPG play, Duchene's finally performing to his potential, & Berra's maintaining his hot start.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I always imagined it as Martin-sen, but Mar-TEEN-sen definitely sounds more Scandinavian :dunno:

Haynes pronounces it well enough.
I'd pronounce it Mart-tins-sen. With a trilled R.
That's the Swedish version of it at least.

Don't know if Norwegians trill that R though.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
I always imagined it as Martin-sen, but Mar-TEEN-sen definitely sounds more Scandinavian :dunno:

Martin-sen is closer than Mar-teen-sen. I Swedish it would typically be the other way around(?)

On his own regional dialect of Norwegian the word should have circa the same rythm as the English word "happenstance". The first vowel should sound like the a in "car", except it's short like the a in 'apple'.

To make it mote complicated, the e in "sen" is ususally silent on his dialect.

It's not a big deal, tho. Because of all the dialect variations in Norway and him being abroad for a while, he'll be used to a number of different pronounciations.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I know a lot of times it isn't noticed but I absolutely love what Soderberg does in the offensive zone. It's such a breath of fresh air from the chaotic mess we've grown accustomed to, not just offensively but everywhere all over the ice. He does so many little underrated things that won't get noticed but they help out a ton.

I am so happy for Grigorenko and the game he had. I hope this game gets him going in a big way.

MacKinnon is a monster. He's going to be a top-5 player in this league very, very soon. It's always great to have #1 overall picks, but the years always change and 2013 was a fantastic year with MacK. I'd argue that, prior to McDavid, he was on his way to being the best player drafted since Crosby.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah I like that about Soda too that he slowed the play down. Grigo might do that too when he gets more comfortable holding the puck. I have noticed how frenetic we get in the O zone, it's nice to have someone that doesn't feel rushed with it.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Roy made a good post in his presser, Grigo works with MacK because MacK needs someone to do little give and gos with. I think that's why he fit with Stastny well for this reason so it makes sense.

If only he would realize Duchene needs the same type of player on his wing too. Hopefully Rantanen can become this for the Avs in the future.

Night owl

Jan 10, 2011
Norwegian mountains
Mar-tinn-senn is probably the closest you'll get. The "ma" sound at the start sounds like the "mo" in money. Scandianvians usually aren't bothered by North American pronounciations of their names so sounding it out like it's spelled in English is fine.

HNIC butchered it though, not having a proper North American or Scandinavian pronounciation.

Yes, Martin-sen is the closest. Speaking of pronunciations, when I watch the jets it's really funny to hear the American pronunciation of Byfuglien, which is a norwegian name (his grandparents on the mother side is norwegian).

Last edited:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
And...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=109429781&postcount=28

...it happened.

I watch every Habs game. My dad is a diehard and they're my second team I suppose. Subban is just awful defensively and his hockey intelligence may be the worst in the league since Jovanovski hung them up. Just boneheaded plays all over the ice. Spins, blind passss, chasing, etc. He's just a dumb hockey player.

He was directly at fault for two of the goals and one of them was exactly as I predicted; shockingly dumb offensive turnover to give us a great chance down the ice.

I wouldn't have Subban amongst my top 30 defenseman in this league. A shot and nothing else.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I can't believe we beat the Habs without Landy, Tangs, Varly, having two 4th lines and barely a 2nd line, with Greg on the 1st line, playing Holden a ton of minutes and having Guenin in the lineup :laugh:

I like the chemistry Duchene has found with MacK, but I think ultimately MacK and Greg will need someone going to the dirty areas and driving the net to complete that line. Comeau would have been perfect if he was more consistent and didn't have two padded bricks for hands.

Martinsen has played great since his callup, just being a big wrecking ball who makes the simple plays and doesn't try to Johnny Malkin it up with the puck. Along with Skille, Everberg and McLeod, we have a lot of good depth when it comes to the 4th line.

I wish we had better centre options then Malkin and Street though, neither of those players should ever be considered shut down players and the centres on the farm are no different (Hish/Cliche/Smith) unless Henley magically becomes NHL ready.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
So happy the Avs won !! So happy for Mack (what a Mack attack at the end of the 1st :D) !! That Grigs/Mack/Duchy trio is something else :handclap::yo: !!

Really pleased with the effort the team has been giving us the past 3 games. Win 2 more and we're right back in the thick of things :handclap: !

GO :avs GO !!

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Good lord, how did you manage to crush the Habs? Top team in the league these days..

And Martinsen got his very first NHL point, happy for him :)

I said it after the loss to Columbus, Colorado is the team that will beat the best and lose to the worst

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Grigorenko has more puck skill than all but two forwards on this team. Actually maybe 3 because Mitchell is actually quite skilled. I honestly feel it's a case where his solid defensive play prevented him from getting an opportunity in the top 6 until now. If he sucked defensively he would be a bottom 6 liability so it would be a top 6 or waivers scenario for the Avs and he would have gotten his shot earlier.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Grigorenko has more puck skill than all but two forwards on this team. Actually maybe 3 because Mitchell is actually quite skilled. I honestly feel it's a case where his solid defensive play prevented him from getting an opportunity in the top 6 until now. If he sucked defensively he would be a bottom 6 liability so it would be a top 6 or waivers scenario for the Avs and he would have gotten his shot earlier.

I'm glad that that didn't happen and instead he was able to get settled in and comfortable before being asked to produce. Roy has handled Greg beautifully.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm glad that that didn't happen and instead he was able to get settled in and comfortable before being asked to produce. Roy has handled Greg beautifully.

Despite my early season impatience and constant nagging about how Greg should be playing on the top 2 lines I fully agree with you.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
And...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=109429781&postcount=28

...it happened.

I watch every Habs game. My dad is a diehard and they're my second team I suppose. Subban is just awful defensively and his hockey intelligence may be the worst in the league since Jovanovski hung them up. Just boneheaded plays all over the ice. Spins, blind passss, chasing, etc. He's just a dumb hockey player.

He was directly at fault for two of the goals and one of them was exactly as I predicted; shockingly dumb offensive turnover to give us a great chance down the ice.

I wouldn't have Subban amongst my top 30 defenseman in this league. A shot and nothing else.

Over-hyped and overpaid crowdpleaser. I really enjoyed his suckiness last night!:nod:

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
missed this game, but saw the boxscore. Did grigorenko look like he can fit longterm on the 1 line? It will be great if he can fit with mackinnon. Or Duchene.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Think Duchene has a chance at star of the week honors? 4G 4A in 3 games (and wins). Did anyone else do better?

Nope Kane and Klingberg have 7 each. Draisatl has 6. Depends on goalies.
Edit: Berra actually has the best statistical 7 days for goalies

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Nope Kane and Klingberg have 7 each. Draisatl has 6. Depends on goalies.
Edit: Berra actually has the best statistical 7 days for goalies

Berra! Cool, thanks. I hope they get recognized, I'm not sure what more the league could ask for.

Yes he really did in my opinion.

I still wouldn't count on Grigo for a ton of goals but bring decent defensively and using his IQ to pass to those guys all day then he should be able to stay there.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I actually expect Greg to score a lot more goals now. Be an even goals/assists guy. The problem was that he's not the type of player that creates offense by himself, so him on the 4th line, he won't score a goal for half a season. He's more of a finisher with high hockey IQ, give him some offense chances and he'll capitalize a lot of them.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He absolutely has the shot and instincts to score plenty of goals, but just like Tanguay he doesn't utilize his shot nearly enough to be that much of a goal scorer.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I actually expect Greg to score a lot more goals now. Be an even goals/assists guy. The problem was that he's not the type of player that creates offense by himself, so him on the 4th line, he won't score a goal for half a season. He's more of a finisher with high hockey IQ, give him some offense chances and he'll capitalize a lot of them.

That's true, more rebounds and good passes to him he could definitely score like he did last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad