GDT: Game 16: Vancouver Canucks @ Phoenix Coyotes | 11-5-13 | 7PM Arizona Time

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
didn't watch the game. How did Stone do paired with OEL?

I don't consider it an ideal pairing but it's not the worst pairing we can conjure up with our 9 defensemen on 1-way contracts.

My carpool buddy I was sitting next to tonight and I were talking about D pairings through the end of the 3rd and OT. Defensemen are always a tricky thing to balance with the 3 pairings you'll usually have (assuming you're doing 12 forwards and 6 D-men instead of possibly 11/7). We both agreed that OEL pairs best with Morris, but that Yandle also pairs best with Morris. Obviously a D-man can't do double duty at the NHL level, so some compromise has to be made.

As contrasting examples, a pairing of, for example, OEL-Rundblad or Yandle-Rundblad, as potent in the attacking zone as it would be, would induce heart attacks in the defensive zone. Not to say that OEL isn't responsible in his own zone, but he needs a more defensive-minded D-man to pair with to remain balanced, such as Morris, Michalek, or Klesla.

In the midst of typing this, I kind of lost my train of thought, but the long story made short is, is Michael Stone the more defensive-minded blueliner to balance out pairing with a top offensive D-man like OEL or Yandle?

No, probably not.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
didn't watch the game. How did Stone do paired with OEL?

I think pretty much every D pair looked discombobulated out there. Klesla was rusty (haha), OEL and Stone did not have chemistry and seemed to spend a lot of the game figuring each other out. Once Morris went out the pairs were jumbled up constantly and it wasn't consistent at all just to get the minutes spread around.

Longwayfromhome

Sweden/London, UK.
Oct 18, 2013
I don't consider it an ideal pairing but it's not the worst pairing we can conjure up with our 9 defensemen on 1-way contracts.

My carpool buddy I was sitting next to tonight and I were talking about D pairings through the end of the 3rd and OT. Defensemen are always a tricky thing to balance with the 3 pairings you'll usually have (assuming you're doing 12 forwards and 6 D-men instead of possibly 11/7). We both agreed that OEL pairs best with Morris, but that Yandle also pairs best with Morris. Obviously a D-man can't do double duty at the NHL level, so some compromise has to be made.

As contrasting examples, a pairing of, for example, OEL-Rundblad or Yandle-Rundblad, as potent in the attacking zone as it would be, would induce heart attacks in the defensive zone. Not to say that OEL isn't responsible in his own zone, but he needs a more defensive-minded D-man to pair with to remain balanced, such as Morris, Michalek, or Klesla.

In the midst of typing this, I kind of lost my train of thought, but the long story made short is, is Michael Stone the more defensive-minded blueliner to balance out pairing with a top offensive D-man like OEL or Yandle?

No, probably not.

I think Stone has been struggling a bit so far this year. Perhaps it's a kind of wake up call to him from DT, playing with OEL, first pairing, heavy minutes - maybe he will get his act together.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I think Stone has been struggling a bit so far this year. Perhaps it's a kind of wake up call to him from DT, playing with OEL, first pairing, heavy minutes - maybe he will get his act together.

Our defense really is an interesting carousel. Yandle and OEL are our top 2, and it's splitting hairs (as well as irrelevant in my opinion) to name one of then #1 and the other #2. The main thing is, they should not be paired with each other. We have three "defensive defensemen" in Morris, Michalek, and Klesla. The hierarchy there is a little more clear, as that's about the order I'd rank them in. Keeping that in mind, and arbitrarily calling OEL #1 and Yandle #2 for no real reason other than example, the ideal pairings could be:

OEL-Morris
Yandle-Michalek
Klesla-?????

????? could be one of Stone, Schlemko, Summers, or Rundblad.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
And that's not even getting into the whole LHD and RHD detail.

That said, despite being a headache, it's a good headache to have, if that makes any sense to say.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
From his presser Tippet said he was looking to "balance" things out. I think he's saying some defenseman are working too hard compared to others. That may be fine, now, but we don't want our best defenseman tired and bruised come playoff time.

Longwayfromhome

Sweden/London, UK.
Oct 18, 2013
From his presser Tippet said he was looking to "balance" things out. I think he's saying some defenseman are working too hard compared to others. That may be fine, now, but we don't want our best defenseman tired and bruised come playoff time.

Yes, but i still wouldn't split the two great pairings we have in Z-OEL and MO-YANDS. I would instead trust the third pairing more. Any of Schlemko/Klesla/Rundblad/Stone can handle bigger minutes, of that i'm sure. And balancing things out that way, I just don't see the point in splitting up maybe the best top 4 in the league so far.

But they won, so who am I to argue really...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think pretty much every D pair looked discombobulated out there. Klesla was rusty (haha), OEL and Stone did not have chemistry and seemed to spend a lot of the game figuring each other out. Once Morris went out the pairs were jumbled up constantly and it wasn't consistent at all just to get the minutes spread around.

Klesla looked very rusty, but got better as the game went on.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yes we are, because we really have to do something with Korpi...complete and utter offense killer, let's put Ribs back w/Boedker and Moss. They seemed to work.

Korpi has lost his speed, thank goodness he can still play defense...but for 2.5m for the next 4 years including this one...that is a lot to pay for 1pt on the season in 16 games.

I agree. Korpi has not had a good year so far.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Yes, but i still wouldn't split the two great pairings we have in Z-OEL and MO-YANDS. I would instead trust the third pairing more. Any of Schlemko/Klesla/Rundblad/Stone can handle bigger minutes, of that i'm sure. And balancing things out that way, I just don't see the point in splitting up maybe the best top 4 in the league so far.

But they won, so who am I to argue really...

Our top 5 D are pretty set assuming they are healthy. OEL-Z, Yandle-DMO, and Klesla. Number 6 is Schlemko right now but it could become Stone if he plays well. Runblad has not had much of a chance yet, and Tip does not totally trust him. It would be great of we gave up a few less shots and less scoring chances. I think Tip is still looking for better D coverage, but that is a forward responsibility issue too, not just the D.

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale
I thought Stone played very solid last night. Easily one of his better games this year.

Agree 100% with this. He was actually noticeable. He had a lot of jump to his speed and made his game better.

The crowd was very loud last night. Lots of Canucks fans but nothing over the top.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
Subban was on fire last year and Karlsson the year before. This is the best I've ever seen OEL play in all 3 zones and if you keeps it up he will be in the discussion. I get all giddy thinking he's only going to get better.

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008
Someone still should have taken my free ticket tonight. It ended up just going to waste. :(

In a situation like that perhaps you might consider donating it to Big Brothers/Sisters or some other disadvantaged childrens organization.

Just a thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad