GDT: Game 16 | Montreal @ Columbus | 7 PM EST

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Pretty good team win.

Only minuses were Jack, Peeke and Foudy all at -1.

Big game from the 4th line.

Bjork and Gavrikov were both solid.

Olivier had a great game and Kuraly was amazing as well.

Shout out to Korpi, another game we wouldn't win with Elvis in goal (most likely).

Johnson and Guadreau need to stay together.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not a scorer but Olivier is good at a lot of things. I don't know if anyone here dislikes having him. He's having a good game.

One thing I forgot to mention: I was wrong saying that Olivier can't go with the heavyweights. He's done Deslauriers and Xhekaj in the last week or so and always seems to hold his own. Those are top class heavyweights. Schenn and Macdermid before that. Gudbranson is the real nuclear deterrent but it's nice to have a guy that is more willing to scrap and can hang with anyone.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Too many mistakes in the DZ and more than once we let Montreal pass quickly through the OC. I don't know who rated the players, but I thought Korpisalo, Olivier and Kuraly were the best. I'm curious to see what the lines will be like when Laine returns because Johnson is playing great in Jenner's line include defense which is very good. Sillinger is back. This line looks very good. I think Roslovic and Bemstrom didn't good game, similar like Peele. Bayreuther is an AHL player. But his pass was excellent.
I think Olivier deserves his spot. He is ideal in the 4th line, can fight. Enough underrated player.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I personally don't get caught up in the tank stuff day to day. I track progress by looking at how the young guys do. And tonight Sillinger, Chinakhov, and KJ all played their part and picked up points. Just a glimmer of KJ with Gaudreau and Jenner, I really hope the coach keeps them together. Chinakhov was absolutely flying tonight too, he's got high end speed to go with that shot, he's starting to put it together.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I personally don't get caught up in the tank stuff day to day. I track progress by looking at how the young guys do. And tonight Sillinger, Chinakhov, and KJ all played their part and picked up points. Just a glimmer of KJ with Gaudreau and Jenner, I really hope the coach keeps them together. Chinakhov was absolutely flying tonight too, he's got high end speed to go with that shot, he's starting to put it together.
The one rush Chinakhov had in the second period reminded me of Bure.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I don't feel bad for staying up for that one. Good effort, play in the D-zone is still a mess but this looks more like the team from last season mentally. Maybe they let either bad goaltending or high expectations for the season get to their head early on. Really nice to see Korpi look like a legit NHL goaltender after hip surgery, you never know how that goes.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Plus Chinakov was engaged in the forecheck tonight

Reactions: majormajor and VT

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
One thing I forgot to mention: I was wrong saying that Olivier can't go with the heavyweights. He's done Deslauriers and Xhekaj in the last week or so and always seems to hold his own. Those are top class heavyweights. Schenn and Macdermid before that. Gudbranson is the real nuclear deterrent but it's nice to have a guy that is more willing to scrap and can hang with anyone.
If we weren't so short-handed on D right now, I would suggest Gudbranson actually start to take those fights as Olivier is a bit more useful on the ice than in the box.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
If we weren't so short-handed on D right now, I would suggest Gudbranson actually start to take those fights as Olivier is a bit more useful on the ice than in the box.
Unfortunately a pending RFA with minimum salary is more "pressured" to drop gloves to save his career than the other guy with a 16M$ contract comfortably in his back pocket.

Reactions: Doggy and CBJx614

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Unfortunately a pending RFA with minimum salary is more "pressured" to drop gloves to save his career than the other guy with a 16M$ contract comfortably in his back pocket.

That's probably true but I also have to point out that 4 fights in a month or so, like Olivier has put up, is a crazy pace. No one should do that all year. I think 4 all year is more standard. Gudbranson still might be up for that. Maybe he's saving it until someone gets runned. Actually I'm remembering now in the pre-season that Gudbranson charged after a guy after a bad hit and it sure seemed like they were going to go if the other guy didn't turtle.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Who are these guys?

This kind of reminds me of the old Barry Melrose Reverse Superstar Principle. Sometimes when stars go down, everyone else on the roster just understands that they're not around to bail us out anymore, and then work harder and with more intensity because they know they have to. People buy into a team game a little more, and it just becomes contagious.

Works for me.

Reactions: Doggy and MAHJ71

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
I’m not sold on the rest of his game but bjork is really good at making passes under pressure in the d zone leading to breakouts

what parts of his game aren’t you sold on?

also note to everyone:

your TOI leader for the jackets tonight? Erik Gudbranson, 26 minutes. help.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
He definitely has a solid chin.. eats a lot but still keeps on coming.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
So was this a "this team makes no sense day to day" win or a "we're starting to see a little consistency and improvement" win?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So was this a "this team makes no sense day to day" win or a "we're starting to see a little consistency and improvement" win?

More like a battle of the bottom I think. It looked like both clubs were trying to tank. They've done some good things lately and Korpi is finally giving the team decent goaltending but the schedule has been soft so I'll wait and see.

Reactions: jacketsnation

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
More like a battle of the bottom I think. It looked like both clubs were trying to tank. They've done some good things lately and Korpi is finally giving the team decent goaltending but the schedule has been soft so I'll wait and see.

6 of our last 10 games have come against a team that is ‘in a playoff spot’ right now.

last three games have been easy opponents but..

soft overall? nah.

999B0DC9-EA9C-49B2-929D-0A1E3B6CE631.jpeg

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Who are these guys?

This kind of reminds me of the old Barry Melrose Reverse Superstar Principle. Sometimes when stars go down, everyone else on the roster just understands that they're not around to bail us out anymore, and then work harder and with more intensity because they know they have to. People buy into a team game a little more, and it just becomes contagious.

Works for me.

What I saw live at Tampere was just too much for me, glad they got couple of wins I guess.. but yeah let it sink

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
6 of our last 10 games have come against a team that is ‘in a playoff spot’ right now.

last three games have been easy opponents but..

soft overall? nah.

View attachment 609456

Yes, I was just talking about why they've looked better in the last few games. Or why I'm not going to dig into it until they show what they do against better teams. 3 of the last 4 were against the weakest 2 rosters in the East.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad