GDT: Game 16: Avs @ Jets | 6 PM MT | November 9, 2018 | Oh No, We Suck Again

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Management is now learning the hard way that leaning on a single line and a goaltender with a .940SV% isn't a reliable or suitable way to make a run for the playoffs. I'm happy it happens this soon into the season.

Well in season long term trades are a bitch to make. I just don't get why so many of us knew Jost wasn't going to be a #2C this season and management was willing to bet on it with a year that had a playoffs or bust tag attached to it.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I see a lot of people that are really down on the team right now, but I don't think they are as bad as people want to make them out to be.

One big thing that I feel is being overlooked is just how truly terrible the schedule has been. We've played 10 road games, tied for most in the league. Had two straight back to back then 4 days off weirdnesses. Played Nashville, Winnipeg, TB all top tier teams, Calgary and Vancouver are two hot teams who play well at home. Eventually we'll get a more friendly schedule against lesser opponents.

And quite frankly they haven't played all that bad in most of the recent games, just can't seem to get a break or for that matter a good call that changes outcomes.

I'm not sure we are a playoff team, but we're not as bad as our record has been lately.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Avs are a team in a really weird spot. It's still a rebuilding roster, but you damn sure don't want to waste the prime years of MacKinnon and Landeskog, especially with them on their respective contracts (MacKinnon more so).

There's just too much of a gap. Not enough talent on the team, and the youth we do have is either extremely injury prone (Compher/Andrighetto) or not ready for big time roles (Jost/Kerfoot/Kaut/Girard).

Not saying that Sakic should be making rash decisions for a quick in-season fix, but something has to be done. You can't waste this season, not after making the playoffs last season.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I see a lot of people that are really down on the team right now, but I don't think they are as bad as people want to make them out to be.

One big thing that I feel is being overlooked is just how truly terrible the schedule has been. We've played 10 road games, tied for most in the league. Had two straight back to back then 4 days off weirdnesses. Played Nashville, Winnipeg, TB all top tier teams, Calgary and Vancouver are two hot teams who play well at home. Eventually we'll get a more friendly schedule against lesser opponents.

And quite frankly they haven't played all that bad in most of the recent games, just can't seem to get a break or for that matter a good call that changes outcomes.

I'm not sure we are a playoff team, but we're not as bad as our record has been lately.

Think they're as bad, but it isn't based on pure talent. Inconsistency, mistakes, differing levels of jam. Young team not riding the high of any real rookies IMO. They're all second year players trying to figure their shit out with zero shelter.

The bottom nine is like an episode of survivor with way better character. And that one guy who has been on the show like two or three seasons and almost won.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
At this point, you have to start wondering if this is a systemic issue. We all bitch about secondary scoring, but tonight that's all we got. The top line was mostly shut down again.

You can maybe blame the lack of finish on a lack of finishing talent in the bottom nine, but to me, this is starting to look a lot like Bednar going back to his old fallbacks at ES. The team just has no purpose or plan in the offensive zone, they're scrambling to get the puck to somebody, anybody, for one quick chance if they're lucky or just getting a ton of zone time with no shots to show for it. They need to figure out how to set up a real cycle, because the second they get into trouble in the corners they ring it around the boards for an easy giveaway. Other teams find a way to set up in the offensive zone and break down a defense, we need to do it too.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The Avs are a team in a really weird spot. It's still a rebuilding roster, but you damn sure don't want to waste the prime years of MacKinnon and Landeskog, especially with them on their respective contracts (MacKinnon more so)..

The scary thing with Mack is he's relying so much on speed and explosiveness that it's hard to figure how good he'll be when he starts losing them. He doesn't have that many years left with that speed BTW, it will start declining pretty damn soon. He's not one of them big C's that age well like Kopitar or Malkin, and also not a prodigy like Crosby. So yeah, it does suck to lose a prime year of Mack.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Last season had a lot of people expecting playoffs this year, myself included. And I think we can still be one, but this game showed we're a ways off from truly contending.

To be expected honestly, we have a legit top line and great young Dmen but outside of that... not great. I agree that we can't waste MacKinnon/Rants etc but they're not even 24 years old yet.. We have something good going on here, draft well, don't be stupid in free agency, and try to make smart trades and we'll be set up nicely.

Also, to say that MacKinnon is going to decline soon.... lol come on. Talk about being Chicken Little.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
At this point, you have to start wondering if this is a systemic issue. We all ***** about secondary scoring, but tonight that's all we got. The top line was mostly shut down again.

All the eggs in the same basket. Teams were going to adjust soon or later.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The scary thing with Mack is he's relying so much on speed and explosiveness that it's hard to figure how good he'll be when he starts losing them. He doesn't have that many years left with that speed BTW, it will start declining pretty damn soon. He's not one of them big C's that age well like Kopitar or Malkin, and also not a prodigy like Crosby. So yeah, it does suck to lose a prime year of Mack.

Mikko will carry him when the time comes. MacK has done a better job of playing at different paces, but hes still prone to getting really frustrated.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
At this point, you have to start wondering if this is a systemic issue. We all ***** about secondary scoring, but tonight that's all we got. The top line was mostly shut down again.

You can maybe blame the lack of finish on a lack of finishing talent in the bottom nine, but to me, this is starting to look a lot like Bednar going back to his old fallbacks at ES. The team just has no purpose or plan in the offensive zone, they're scrambling to get the puck to somebody, anybody, for one quick chance if they're lucky or just getting a ton of zone time with no shots to show for it. They need to figure out how to set up a real cycle, because the second they get into trouble in the corners they ring it around the boards for an easy giveaway. Other teams find a way to set up in the offensive zone and break down a defense, we need to do it too.

Yeah this season was Bednar's chance to prove himself through talent or growth, and their has been a lot of blame that needs to be laid at his feet. Mediocre coach IMO, but we've also got a mediocre team.

You'd be hard pressed to argue that hes gotten the most out of this team so far this season.

Time to go slice some fools up in Assassins Creed. Love the Greek era, very cool game, and environment.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I haven't listen to the BSN podcast for a month+ but I'm trying again.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
In case of emergency, break glass.

Avs got schooled. Again. Toyed.

Predictable = boring. Break glass. Do NOT waste some of this world class talent by thinking. Break glass. Do something.

PostScript.. and do not blame the goalie play. They have not been the problem. Not.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
In case of emergency, break glass.

Avs got schooled. Again. Toyed.

Predictable = boring. Break glass. Do NOT waste some of this world class talent by thinking. Break glass. Do something.
5 posts in 4.5 years?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
5 losses in a row... 6 of the last 7.

Came back down to Earth real fast.

Allowing goals left and right, roll out three 4th lines every night, piss poor defense and goaltending... disastrous past 2 weeks.
Flames game was the straw that broke the camel's back. Yeah, it's still early in the season but honestly, something that extreme can really kill your season if you can't recover. We saw the very next night how they couldn't recover, and it's been down hill ever since.

I'm not expecting much moving forward, honestly. I don't see an end in sight for this losing streak, either.

@ Edmonton
vs Boston
vs Washington
@ Anaheim
@ Los Angeles

Honestly, we could see this losing streak extend to 9 games before we put an end to it in Los Angeles. Especially if the top line continues to play poorly/get overplayed.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Eh. I still think it’s just an incomplete and not quite ready team that lost all their mojo thanks to two four-day breaks and coming back to play the two best teams in the west.

Once they get a win or two they’ll find their rythm again and most likely continue to be a playoff bubble team.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Flames game was the straw that broke the camel's back. Yeah, it's still early in the season but honestly, something that extreme can really kill your season if you can't recover. We saw the very next night how they couldn't recover, and it's been down hill ever since.

I'm not expecting much moving forward, honestly. I don't see an end in sight for this losing streak, either.

@ Edmonton
vs Boston
vs Washington
@ Anaheim
@ Los Angeles

Honestly, we could see this losing streak extend to 9 games before we put an end to it in Los Angeles. Especially if the top line continues to play poorly/get overplayed.
LA is the only game I can see us winning there. Holy hell thats one long ass losing streak. A streak that you cant recover from in all honesty. They lose two guys in JTC and Ghetto and the house of cards crumbles. We somehow devolved back to the good ole days when Tim Army was running a PP and whoever the f*** was running a PK. Special teams has been utter shit and dont get me started on faceoffs yet again tonight playing a key role in us getting scored on.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Last season had a lot of people expecting playoffs this year, myself included. And I think we can still be one, but this game showed we're a ways off from truly contending.

To be expected honestly, we have a legit top line and great young Dmen but outside of that... not great. I agree that we can't waste MacKinnon/Rants etc but they're not even 24 years old yet.. We have something good going on here, draft well, don't be stupid in free agency, and try to make smart trades and we'll be set up nicely.

Also, to say that MacKinnon is going to decline soon.... lol come on. Talk about being Chicken Little.
Mackinnon played tonight like that guy who played near the end of the season who couldnt do anything right. I have faith he will turn it around. He needs to realize that he is the best shooter on that line and on this team. Its tempting to pass to Mikko I get it but when you are in a prime spot to shoot he has to shoot. I seen him pass up on way to many shots the last little while and I dont like it. I also dont like how hes going back to an east west game. I want him driving to the net using his speed going wide. Havent seen that enough from him.

Reactions: missionAvs

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The Avs are a team in a really weird spot. It's still a rebuilding roster, but you damn sure don't want to waste the prime years of MacKinnon and Landeskog, especially with them on their respective contracts (MacKinnon more so).

There's just too much of a gap. Not enough talent on the team, and the youth we do have is either extremely injury prone (Compher/Andrighetto) or not ready for big time roles (Jost/Kerfoot/Kaut/Girard).

Not saying that Sakic should be making rash decisions for a quick in-season fix, but something has to be done. You can't waste this season, not after making the playoffs last season.
We have to knock it out the park with the two top 5 picks next draft. It could set us up nicely here for sometime. Im so sick of seeing guys like Wilson in the top 6. I want Wilson in the bottom 6 and off my PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad