GDT: Game 16: Arizona Coyotes @ Calgary Flames ~ 11/13/14 7:00 p.m. MST ~ FSA

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Then bring Hodgman back up...we can't get worse.

Problem is we are at max contracts. I fully expect Rieder to be sent down when Moss comes back.

The only way Hodgman gets called up is if someone gets traded or more injuries hit.

I'm starting to think my Deadpool piggy bank has more money in it than our owners bank account does.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
That one play last night where Z looked as slow as me, and the Flamer pulled away from him like John Brown burning the Eagles. Nasher tried to say he got caught flat footed...no, he got caught old and slow.
I watched the Calgary feed last night. The ratio of cliche's, cheese and absurd statements was substantially reduced.

Z is slow.Very grateful for what he's done here but time to move him while there still might be takers.

After last night, (and since most of the Coyote team would appear to have already converted) I am a tank convert. Time to move everything that isn't bolted down as there is no righting this ship (now last in the Western Conference) with the current "mix". Keepers to me are OEL, Yandle, Doan, Hanzal and the kids. Everything else can go and Hanzal can go if we get a significant overpay.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Problem is we are at max contracts. I fully expect Rieder to be sent down when Moss comes back.

The only way Hodgman gets called up is if someone gets traded or more injuries hit.

I'm starting to think my Deadpool piggy bank has more money in it than our owners bank account does.

New owner on the way #twoweeks

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
When I suggested last year that we should fire Tippet and hire Laviolette. People laughed like RT laughed at me.

Now look what Laviolette is doing in Nashville and what he's done to Filip Forsberg's game (namely, freed him to be creative and to contribute).

We could use that for Boedker. We could use that for our young players stuck in Portland.

We could use Laviolette.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
When I suggested last year that we should fire Tippet and hire Laviolette. People laughed like RT laughed at me.

Now look what Laviolette is doing in Nashville and what he's done to Filip Forsberg's game (namely, freed him to be creative and to contribute).

We could use that for Boedker. We could use that for our young players stuck in Portland.

We could use Laviolette.

I'm not ready to say we need a coaching change, but I do think David Poile had a better 2014 than GMDM. If only we could have acquired Ribeiro!

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/n...-poile-breaks-down-his-many-off-season-moves/

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
Frankly, I can't watch this team. I've watched bad Coyotes teams in the past, but for the most part they played hard.

This team is boring to watch, and doesn't really play hard. When I say I can't watch this team, the organization has serious problems with their on-ice product. I've been a season ticket holder since year 1. This is by far the most disappointing season I have experienced; especially after the moves the team made with Ribs and Verby, and the lack of resources to bring in players that would impact the game.

We don't even have the right mix of players to establish a Tippet type team. We are lacking strength and grit on the blue line, solid forechecking forwards in the bottom 6, and any kind of creativity on the top 6. Smith is being exposed because teams are getting good looks at him instead of the typical shots from the perimeter he faced when his stats were better.

OEL has taken massive steps backward, which will happen sometimes for a player of his age. I still think he will be a star most of his career, but I'm not sure he is going to turn things around and have the type of year everyone was expecting.

The only player who is really performing up to expectations in Yandle; and we are talking about trading arguably our best player.

As much as I like him, I think this all goes back to GMDM who put this team together. It is not a good mix. Maybe he listened to Tippet. I don't know. Either way, however, these are the guys he picked.

The team needs to either make some bold moves to try and salvage the season, or better yet, trade as many non-critical pieces as they can to get assets. They need NHL ready prospects, not draft choices. This team can't afford to suck for another couple of years unless the ownership is just waiting for the opportunity to relocate. We can absorb another bad year if the market is sold on the fact that we are rebuilding with young, and exciting players.

Doing nothing makes fans like me just lose interest in the team, which is something they can not afford from a business standpoint.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Boedker will reach his potential, just not here. Sometimes people get stale and they and their company need a change. I would sack Maloney before moving any assets and let a fresh set of eyes look at the situation.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
Boedker will reach his potential, just not here. Sometimes people get stale and they and their company need a change. I would sack Maloney before moving any assets and let a fresh set of eyes look at the situation.

It's not this physical location, it's Tippet's system that is getting stale and Maloney needs to go along with him.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I'm getting so tired of listening to Tippett say that the team only needs to play better.

Donnie has to do something, the fans will understand if you begin trading good players for a rebuild, but to continue saying we think this is a "playoff team", no one is buying it. Everyone knows but them I guess, which means it's time for them to go.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
The mix of players on the ice should be the direct responsibility of GMDM. I love Tip, he's done great things for us but maybe he and GMDM don't see eye to eye. Ribs was brought her because Tip pushed for him to be here and DM was never wanting to bring him in. (Ribs said this himself in an interview)

When GM and coach have different philosophies this is what happens

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Vermette, Michalek, Korpikoski and Erat to Buffalo for a 2nd. :)

It would honestly be worth it. I'd throw in Tippett, too.

2nd rd draft picks never pan out for the Yotes. Here's all of our second time around choices:

1997 2 43 Juha Gustafsson Finland D
1998 2 43 Ossi Vaananen Finland D 479 20
1999 2 53 Brad Ralph Canada C 1
2000 2 53 Alexander Tatarinov Russia RW
2001 2 31 Matthew Spiller Canada D 68
2001 2 45 Martin Podlesak Czech Republic C
2002 2 46 David LeNeveu Canada G 22
2004 2 35 Logan Stephenson Canada D
2004 2 50 Enver Lisin Russia RW 135
2005 2 59 Pier-Olivier Pelletier Canada G
2007 2 32 Brett MacLean Canada LW 18
2007 2 36 Joel Gistedt Sweden G
2008 2 49 Jared Staal Canada RW 2
2009 2 36 Chris Brown United States C 17
2010 2 52 Phil Lane United States RW
2010 2 57 Oscar Lindberg Sweden C
2011 2 51 Alexander Ruuttu Finland F
2011 2 56 Lucas Lessio Canada LW 3
2012 2 58 Jordan Martinook Canada C
2013 2 39 Laurent Dauphin Canada C
2014 2 43 Ryan MacInnis United States C
2014 2 58 Christian Dvorak United States LW

on the other hand...Yandle was taken in the 4th...SO MAKE IT A 4TH RD PICK!!!

indczn

May 28, 2008
I'm getting so tired of listening to Tippett say that the team only needs to play better.

Donnie has to do something, the fans will understand if you begin trading good players for a rebuild, but to continue saying we think this is a "playoff team", no one is buying it. Everyone knows but them I guess, which means it's time for them to go.

There is no point doing much until the trade deadline when teams are willing to overpay to fill holes for a playoff run. Any trade now will likely not be something positive because it will be a major shakeup and probably involve a core player. Until then, the coyotes will conserve money by putting the cheapest roster on the ice, and keep working on execution.

What else do you expect Tippett to say? That we suck and are hopeless?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
PROPOSAL:

To ARI:
Patrick Kaleta
Andre Benoit
Nicolas Deslauriers
Matt Ellis

To BUF:
Antoine Vermette
Zbynek Michalek(50% retained)
Martin Erat (50% retained)
Lauri Korpikoski

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
There is no point doing much until the trade deadline when teams are willing to overpay to fill holes for a playoff run. Any trade now will likely not be something positive because it will be a major shakeup and probably involve a core player. Until then, the coyotes will conserve money by putting the cheapest roster on the ice, and keep working on execution.

What else do you expect Tippett to say? That we suck and are hopeless?

I would agree with this 100% if we were a more stable market. It's a good rebuild strategy. Sell as high as you can. That typically takes place at the trade deadline. But, there is a current need for defensemen on several teams, and that is a position we claim to have strength at.

Unfortunately, while your strategy is sound, I don't think the organization has the luxury of icing a really poor team of veterans for the next several months. There will be a steady decline in ticket sales as this progresses. Even the upcoming Boston game has TONS of tickets still for sale, and most of the regular STH's are trying to sell their tickets for a profit.

This organization needs to be particularly sensitive to its fragile fan base. The team needs to shake things up. I would expect them to make some moves by mid-December or waive some players and bring up the kids. Fans are not buying in to watching this current version of the Coyotes. Major step backwards.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
PROPOSAL:

To ARI:
Patrick Kaleta
Andre Benoit
Nicolas Deslauriers
Matt Ellis

To BUF:
Antoine Vermette
Zbynek Michalek(50% retained)
Martin Erat (50% retained)
Lauri Korpikoski

How does the money shake out? I don't think the organization can take on more payroll. I would do the deal in terms of players (as much as I really like Vermette). Heck, I view it as an enormous plus to unload Korpi. He is just taking up space and minutes, and his contract really isn't great for us.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
How does the money shake out? I don't think the organization can take on more payroll. I would do the deal in terms of players (as much as I really like Vermette). Heck, I view it as an enormous plus to unload Korpi. He is just taking up space and minutes, and his contract really isn't great for us.

We save a crap ton of cash. Buffalo stays well under the cap.

indczn

May 28, 2008
I would agree with this 100% if we were a more stable market. It's a good rebuild strategy. Sell as high as you can. That typically takes place at the trade deadline. But, there is a current need for defensemen on several teams, and that is a position we claim to have strength at.

Unfortunately, while your strategy is sound, I don't think the organization has the luxury of icing a really poor team of veterans for the next several months. There will be a steady decline in ticket sales as this progresses. Even the upcoming Boston game has TONS of tickets still for sale, and most of the regular STH's are trying to sell their tickets for a profit.

This organization needs to be particularly sensitive to its fragile fan base. The team needs to shake things up. I would expect them to make some moves by mid-December or waive some players and bring up the kids. Fans are not buying in to watching this current version of the Coyotes. Major step backwards.

It's hard to say though. We don't know how many tickets are already sold for this year between packs and STH's. If its a majority of the expected turn out then this year won't matter much in comparison to hope for the future (next year).

Also, teams aren't looking for guys like Z yet. It's too soon in the season so trades will have to be cap $ per cap $ and he has a 4M cap hit. Thats hard to fit unless they give up an equal contract or eat the term. Dallas eats Moens Contract (an extra year, eww) for Gonchar while receive nothing of value.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It's not this physical location, it's Tippet's system that is getting stale and Maloney needs to go along with him.

Really? It's not his Scottsdale house or the the drive to the arena? Shocked, I am.:sarcasm:

By here, I meant here under Tippet.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I'm not ready to say we need a coaching change, but I do think David Poile had a better 2014 than GMDM. If only we could have acquired Ribeiro!

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/n...-poile-breaks-down-his-many-off-season-moves/

Rinne was out part of last year too. Poile couldn't fix our lack of talent. Our problem is lack of talent, wrong mix of players, vets we count on under performing (OEL/Z/Bods lately), and inconsistent goal tending. Coaching is not the problem. I do think a different voice could help, but only short term, as that won't fix the core problem.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Rinne was out part of last year too. Poile couldn't fix our lack of talent. Our problem is lack of talent, wrong mix of players, vets we count on under performing (OEL/Z/Bods lately), and inconsistent goal tending. Coaching is not the problem. I do think a different voice could help, but only short term, as that won't fix the core problem.

It's not just a lack of talent on the ice. It's a lack of success in the front office. While letting Tippet go and hiring an offensive minded coach might allow the Coyotes to pass the eye test, I agree with you that the talent mix and quality are unimpressive. The answer to that is to hire a new front office and start rebuilding to acquire the type of talent the new coach requires for his system to work.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

I don't think that the system is getting stale, per se, but the players trying to compete in the system are getting stale or are tired of it.

It's unfair to declare a system stale when that system has also helped you achieve more success than any other coaching style/system beforehand. I think that the evidence shows that:

1. Defensive systems (and coaching of it) have declined - 5v5 and PK have been far less effective, even the drop from 2011 season to 2012 season (Playfair's first here) and continued drop since is pretty remarkable.

2. Players fit the system some, but don't carry out the system as effectively. Look at some of the D-men we had in the past - Aucoin, Jovo, Klesla, Yonkman (for crying out loud) - tough SOBs who also had their share of lapses, but you weren't going to have an easy day against these guys. We have some size and ability, but OEL is the only D-man whom I feel doesn't take **** from anyone, and he still hasn't matured into a more physcially dominant player. We'll get there eventually, but it takes time. Don't get me started on the ineffectiveness of the forwards at times.

3. Hard work trumps all - there's that saying, "The harder I work, the luckier I get." So true - when did we have the most puck luck during the years - the 09/10 season, maybe 11/12? When you look back at those teams, they were hard-working in every aspect, and it showed. I think fans are spot on when it looks like we aren't working hard, b/c there are times when we probably aren't, compared to previous iterations.

indczn

May 28, 2008
I don't think that the system is getting stale, per se, but the players trying to compete in the system are getting stale or are tired of it.

It's unfair to declare a system stale when that system has also helped you achieve more success than any other coaching style/system beforehand. I think that the evidence shows that:

1. Defensive systems (and coaching of it) have declined - 5v5 and PK have been far less effective, even the drop from 2011 season to 2012 season (Playfair's first here) and continued drop since is pretty remarkable.

2. Players fit the system some, but don't carry out the system as effectively. Look at some of the D-men we had in the past - Aucoin, Jovo, Klesla, Yonkman (for crying out loud) - tough SOBs who also had their share of lapses, but you weren't going to have an easy day against these guys. We have some size and ability, but OEL is the only D-man whom I feel doesn't take **** from anyone, and he still hasn't matured into a more physcially dominant player. We'll get there eventually, but it takes time. Don't get me started on the ineffectiveness of the forwards at times.

3. Hard work trumps all - there's that saying, "The harder I work, the luckier I get." So true - when did we have the most puck luck during the years - the 09/10 season, maybe 11/12? When you look back at those teams, they were hard-working in every aspect, and it showed. I think fans are spot on when it looks like we aren't working hard, b/c there are times when we probably aren't, compared to previous iterations.

Yes. The coyotes wore teams down in the past. We were the better team in the 3rd period because of everything you just said. We may not have scored much, but we wore the other team out by the end of the game. More comebacks, less blown leads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad