GDT: Game 15 - CBJ vs Dallas Stars November 6, 2018 7 p.m

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I get that's the kind of thing that starts internally, but just wondering aloud if there's a way to encourage it via coaching?

Yep. Sadly you also have to have a willing participant. At this point I think it's more of an issue with Wennberg than the coaching staff with this relationship.

I've talked over the year about identifying players that are part of our core. I think the FO wants Wennberg to be part of the core more than the reality. Wennberg is a NHL player, I just don't think he's a key part of a CBJ that wants to win a Cup. That could change, he's still young. The question is how long do we wait? He's not improving. I'm not sure the CBJ should be paying him another 20+ million over the next few seasons.

Reactions: thebus88

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Yep. Sadly you also have to have a willing participant. At this point I think it's more of an issue with Wennberg than the coaching staff with this relationship.

I agree.

I could've phrased my question better... asking if there was a way to scheme Wennberg into those kind of situations, where he wouldn't have as much of a choice. I know the onus is on the player, but just spitballing if there was something to be done in that area.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I agree.

I could've phrased my question better... asking if there was a way to scheme Wennberg into those kind of situations, where he wouldn't have as much of a choice. I know the onus is on the player, but just spitballing if there was something to be done in that area.

Yep, I know what you meant and I thought it was phrased fine. In this case I think the coaching staff has done what they can. We either need a new player or a new coaching staff if patience is no long an option.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Nice work by Wennberg on Foligno's goal, outworking the defender and making a quick pass to a teammate on the move into a scoring area. Remember last year when he had a brief surge as the net-front presence on the power play? I know he's soft, but maybe the tonic for that is to send him purposefully into crowded areas instead of into space. I don't expect him to become a crash-and-bang-er, but maybe forcing him to engage and taking away his time to think instead of react is the way to go?
I definitely think you are right.

I was also wondering if he may be being overcoached the last season or two. Maybe if he had some room to breathe rather than worrying about chemistry with linemates, strength on the puck, faceoffs, and shooting then he would be more effective.

The coaches would be right in really trying to get him to change, but maybe he feels overwhelmed and thinks too much when on the ice?

He hasn't really ever had an older established center who plays the game like he does. Werenski at least had Jones who could take over when Torts wasn't getting through.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Well that or the opposite of that. The best Wennberg we've seen, two years ago, had no one on his ass. It doesn't look like Torts screaming at him, however insufficient in your view, has led to improvements.
Not about screaming about him , it’s about him knowing he doesn’t bring it every night , he sits . The only time he has remotely played well the past 2 years , is when Torts is on the verge of benching him , and making it known to the media . Then magically , Wennberg will assert himself the next couple games . That tells he has a lack of motivation . And it takes the staff getting to the point of benching him , before he performs

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Not about screaming about him , it’s about him knowing he doesn’t bring it every night , he sits . The only time he has remotely played well the past 2 years , is when Torts is on the verge of benching him , and making it known to the media . Then magically , Wennberg will assert himself the next couple games . That tells he has a lack of motivation . And it takes the staff getting to the point of benching him , before he performs

I thought he played well last night.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
He passed on a couple shots coming in on the goalie unimpeded.. do not understand why he doesn't have confidence shooting the puck. He should try it sometime it won't go in if you don't put it on net..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad