GDT: Game 15 - CBJ vs Dallas Stars November 6, 2018 7 p.m

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I'd love to see Gavrikov in the CBJ lineup. But has our 6/7/8 been bad really? Harry and Kukan are both doing decent for #6 guys right now, IMO.

They've been up and down.

There are times they are a liability on the ice. I'd like to see Clendening much more. Its not like these guys have earned the icetime/spot.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Well it was nice to see "Norris Murray" be rewarded/finish it off.

I think we're to the point where Bjorkstrand comes in for Wennberg next game. He was quite invisible again, will not be missed on the PP, and we have quite a bit of capable center depth at the moment that can actually win a faceoff.

Hannikainen and Sedlak are having more of a positive impact.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
So Torts split Seth and Z after 1st period.
20182019-20217-shiftchart.png

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Definitely more of a team game, no passengers tonight.

Yup.

To add onto this, I believe it was the first game all season where every single player (except Duclair and Sedlak) had over 10:00 TOI. Impressive.

Good things happen (wins) when Torts uses a full bench instead of shifting to playing a 3 line game in the 3rd period. Huh. Who would’ve thought...

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Watched the second period, looked good. Probably the player situation to watch this season is Murray.

Reactions: thebus88

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Best game of the season so far for the Jackets. Checked really hard and Dallas coughed-up the puck a bunch. Doubt we see Sonny or Oliver in the lineup this weekend.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Nice work by Wennberg on Foligno's goal, outworking the defender and making a quick pass to a teammate on the move into a scoring area. Remember last year when he had a brief surge as the net-front presence on the power play? I know he's soft, but maybe the tonic for that is to send him purposefully into crowded areas instead of into space. I don't expect him to become a crash-and-bang-er, but maybe forcing him to engage and taking away his time to think instead of react is the way to go?

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I don't expect him to become a crash-and-bang-er, but maybe forcing him to engage and taking away his time to think instead of react is the way to go?

I tend to agree that he needs a change in mentality. He has all the tools, but he reminds me of early Malhotra. Malhotra, outside of faceoffs, had issues with being competitive. That all changed almost over night and he ended up sticking with Nash. While the situation was a little different, there was a huge change on Atkinson almost overnight. He suddenly got it and became competitive in all three zones and became more than just a player on the rush.

He needs to approach each shift differently than he does now, but not I'm sure we can do that with situational changes.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
He needs to approach each shift differently than he does now, but not I'm sure we can do that with situational changes.

I get that's the kind of thing that starts internally, but just wondering aloud if there's a way to encourage it via coaching? And I don't mean the coach telling a player to do it, but rather via lineups and one-ice responsibilities and the like, trying to force him into situations he might not, initially at least, choose for himself.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I get that's the kind of thing that starts internally, but just wondering aloud if there's a way to encourage it via coaching? And I don't mean the coach telling a player to do it, but rather via lineups and one-ice responsibilities and the like, trying to force him into situations he might not, initially at least, choose for himself.
You encourage it by putting players like him on a game to game basis . If he doesn’t do the things needed , and compete , put him on the bench , rinse and repeat . The only time he’s remotely played well in the past 2 years in when Torts gets to the end of the line with him . He doesn’t have that desire to be the best , like Pld does . He needs someone to constantly be on his ass

Reactions: thebus88

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
You encourage it by putting players like him on a game to game basis . If he doesn’t do the things needed , and compete , put him on the bench , rinse and repeat . The only time he’s remotely played well in the past 2 years in when Torts gets to the end of the line with him . He doesn’t have that desire to be the best , like Pld does . He needs someone to constantly be on his ass

I allowed for that but was also wondering if there was a way to address it from a schematic standpoint as well.

Reactions: The Bread Man

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Well that or the opposite of that. The best Wennberg we've seen, two years ago, had no one on his ass. It doesn't look like Torts screaming at him, however insufficient in your view, has led to improvements.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad