GDT: Game #15: Buffalo Sabres @ St. Louis Blues | Full Assed Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I just watched the highlights, saw Tarasenko's assist on Lehtera's first goal. Hahaha. The chemistry those two have is absolutely unreal.

Man I love Lehtera. What a line.

His assist on Jori's second goal was absolute precision I thought, and Schartz's play on the short hander, and that feed for the natural hatty damn just awesome in the strongest since of the word? Both Schwartz and Frank's development have hit a different level this season like we hoped they would. Playing with Jori, is apparently exactly what those 2 needed lol.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I can't even begin to process how much Lehtera has changed the dynamic of our team. Of course Schwartz and Tarasenko have a big helping hand in that, but giving those two a legit center to play with his totally revamped our look. It's clear we have a new core up front.

And the funny thing is that the center isn't Stastny! No slight to him because he'll still be awesome, but I was definitely wrong about Hitch placing too much emphasis on the Lehtera/Tarasenko chemistry before the season. Now that I've seen it, Hitch can't break that line up. You just can't. The other lines should get going eventually but I honestly don't even care about them when our new top line is scoring this much. David Backes can actually fill the role of a "3rd line" checking center, because Lehtera and Stastny are good enough top 6 C's.

Lehtera and Tarasenko are literally on the same level as the Sedin twins when it comes to having chemistry. I know they played together before but it's still amazing to me how they know exactly where the other one is and what they are thinking.

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
I'd be lying if I said this wasn't my new favorite gif.

tumblr_nex3v6tKJU1tv56dmo1_500.gif

:laugh: @ dat bald guy with glasses

Vaeltaja

May 17, 2011
Judging from this (just before 1:10) that 'high five' seems to be a thing for T & L.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
Last night's game was like a mid 70's hockey game for the Blues facing the Expansion KC Scouts or Washington Capitals in the final outcome.

Congrats to Jori Lehtera ( who does look like a young Biff from the Back to the Future movies ) On his 1st career hat trick.

However I'm concerned that no one else is contributing on the score sheet right now other then Vlad, Biff, Schwartz, and Shatty and when it matters against elite foes like the Queens, Hawks or Ducks when it matters I'll remain skeptical.

Nashville again at home and It's time for others to step up their game and produce since they are not the Sabers as we all saw this past Saturday.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
BLUES (TOI):

Code:
Steen (18:14) - Stastny 18:17) - Backes (20:27)
Schwartz (18:34) - Lehterä (19:10) - Tarasenko (19:40)
Ott (12:41) - Berglund (15:09) - Lindström (9:27)
Porter (8:15) - Lapierre (9:35) - Pääjärvi (8:46)

Bouwmeester (23:11) - Pietrangelo (26:55)
Gunnarsson (13:57) - Shattenkirk (23:32)
Cole (15:25) - Jackman (14:10)

Elliott (59:53) 96.6%

SABRES (TOI):

Code:
Moulson (18:29) - Girgensons (19:52) - Ennis (16:14)
Mitchell (13:34) - Flynn (14:44) - Gionta (10:56)
Foligno (10:25) - McCormick (13:17) - Stewart (10:36)
Deslauriers (11:51) - Hodgson (12:05) - Stafford (15:36)

Gorges (10:10) - Myers (28:01)
Zadorov (19:13) - Ristolainen (24:31)
Weber (18:00) - Strachan (19:26) 

Neuvirt (60:00) 79,3%

I Just hope Hitch would lift Pääjärvi on 3rd line. I think he did take couple shifts with Bergy and Jocke, like end of 2nd and 3rd period. Or if they wont lift up Pääjärvi, dropp Ott 4th line c and lift up Lapierre up. He got much better IQ and better vision to create scoring changes. After Buffalo game, it should be easy to give Pääjärvi more icetime on 3rd. If Reaver isnt ready just dropp Ott on 4th line RW.

FO's

Code:
Backes 	8-10/80%
Berglund	9-15/60%
Lehterä	8-14/57%
Lapierre	4-7/57%
Stastny 	5-13/38%
Schwartz	3-4/75%
Ott		1-5/20%

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Have we tried Lindstrom with Backes yet? I was thinking about lines when healthy and aside from the Stl line what about:

Lindstrom-Backes-Jaskin
Steen-Stastny-Oshie

I think a healthy Oshie is exactly what Steen and Stastny need.

As for Backes and Lindstrom. Maybe Backes and another big body can give Lindstrom the room he needs to play the type of game he wants to play. To fully utilize his speed, skill and shiftiness.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'm still good with

Berglund - Backes - Oshie
Steen - Stastny - Lindstom
Schwartz - Lehterä - Tarasenko

Berglund is the only meh offensive player but he's been solid on defense. Maybe Oshie returning to energizer status will drive the offensive on the line. Lindström looks best with Steen. Lindstom is dangerous, but he needs support. He can't drive the play himself

Backes to the wall

Oct 20, 2014
West Coast Canada
After last nights game, there is little doubt in my mind that this team needs Z. Kassian on that 3rd line.
The guy can score, hit, and when other teams start to get cheap with the talent on our team, he can get physical.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He actually can't score, but I guess I'd be okay with him for the right price. The 3rd-line will need a shakeup eventually.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He had 14 goals in 73 games last year, what is wrong with that?
I mean, it's not very good. He's basically producing like Berglund except worse. He has 27 goals in 169 games. He doesn't really score. And you can say he's young but I have not seen any improvement in his game. He is what he is, so like I said if he comes cheap then sure.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Kassian is a terrible hockey player. I want nothing to do with him. He takes a ton of stupid penalties and he's just a dumb hockey player. He's Stewart 2.0, minus the skating in terms of offensive ability.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Kassian is a terrible hockey player. I want nothing to do with him. He takes a ton of stupid penalties and he's just a dumb hockey player. He's Stewart 2.0, minus the skating in terms of offensive ability.

I wouldn't call him a terrible hockey player... He's an above average 3rd liner on any team.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I wouldn't call him a terrible hockey player... He's an above average 3rd liner on any team.

I shouldn't have said terrible hockey player. Terrible fit for this team would have been a better term. People complain about Berglund on board, so I can only imagine how much of a whipping boy Kassian is. Berglund is good on the possession and defensive side, while Kassian isn't in either department. Sure he brings toughness, but I just don't see much else from him that we need. He's just not smart as a hockey player.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Yea, Kassian is tough and not bad, but he's also not good and gets up to some completely meathead antics sometimes. If you're getting him to push Reaves off the 4th line, fine, but he's not some seriously threatening presence or goalscorer. He's just a tiny bit of both.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I shouldn't have said terrible hockey player. Terrible fit for this team would have been a better term. People complain about Berglund on board, so I can only imagine how much of a whipping boy Kassian is. Berglund is good on the possession and defensive side, while Kassian isn't in either department. Sure he brings toughness, but I just don't see much else from him that we need. He's just not smart as a hockey player.

I just read something on here yesterday saying Kassian had pretty good possession numbers, especially compared to the rest of the 3rd line. Although I don't have the actual numbers so I can't confirm it.

I don't disagree that he wouldn't work well in St. Louis.

Backes to the wall

Oct 20, 2014
West Coast Canada
My guess is that most have only seen limited play from him.
As a guy who lives a couple hours from Vancouver, I have seen him play from game 1 here. He is the guy you have on the team to STOP the crazy goonery that took place last night.
He is the guy to take the slashes from Keith in the playoffs, not Oshie, not Tarasenko, not Schwartz.
Kass would be driving it to the net every chance he got, and driving the d-men on the other team nuts.
He has a remarkable attitude for such a young guy, and there is a reason he has become a fan favorite on the team.
I doubt he would be a guy management would let go, but if we could get him, we would be crazy not to.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
"He'd be driving it to the net every chance he got and driving opposing d-men crazy." Lol, you make it sound like this dude is a one of a kind player who is the toughest guy in the league. Neither is close to being true. I've watched Vancouver games and Zack Kassian is hardly noticeable most of the time. He also wouldn't prevent any team from gooning it up. Sure he might respond to something, but that's about it. Have you ever, as a Blues fan, been afraid of our team facing Zack Kassian? Because I haven't, and I don't think anyone has.

Quite frankly, the only Kassian memories I have of him facing the Blues are him losing a fight to Chris Stewart and getting in a scrum with Backes and Perron which led to Backes making fun of his hairline in the penalty box.

Backes to the wall

Oct 20, 2014
West Coast Canada
"He'd be driving it to the net every chance he got and driving opposing d-men crazy." Lol, you make it sound like this dude is a one of a kind player who is the toughest guy in the league. Neither is close to being true. I've watched Vancouver games and Zack Kassian is hardly noticeable most of the time. He also wouldn't prevent any team from gooning it up. Sure he might respond to something, but that's about it. Have you ever, as a Blues fan, been afraid of our team facing Zack Kassian? Because I haven't, and I don't think anyone has.

Quite frankly, the only Kassian memories I have of him facing the Blues are him losing a fight to Chris Stewart and getting in a scrum with Backes and Perron which led to Backes making fun of his hairline in the penalty box.

- No where do I say he is a 1 of a kind guy, nor the toughest guy in the league, just a guy who knows his role, and that is to play an in your face game. If he took pressure off our elite guys, that would be perfect.

-He played most of the last season with Booth and Mathias on a 3rd line getting next to no pp time, yet got 14 goals in 73 games. If that isn't decent I don't know what is.

- I hate playing against the nucks, you should as well, they have a style that is difficult for us to counter, and Kassian is just a piece of that puzzle.

I am also follically [sp] challenged...Backes you...:rant:

Anyways if you are bored, here is a glimpse into the Kasiian one.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/07/31/watch-every-goal-zack-kassian-scored-last-season/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad