Post-Game Talk: GAME 15 - BRUINS shuffle out of Buffalo with 2 points - BRUINS 5 Buffalo 2

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Sorry...He has NOT been bad
Agree he has not been bad

he also has not been playing at the top of his game - it looks like he is trying to do too much and deferring on taking his ( excellent) shot

my guess- the weight of the C is showing a bit - in wanting to show the way as a leader and the captain he might be putting a bit of pressure on himself and his game isn't as smooth as usual

all that said - as long as the goalie tandem continues it's stellar play these type of observations are really only rounding errors

Concessionaire

That could have gone better.
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2003
New Orleans
Rickles today is not politically correct. He and Carson were phenomenal

I don't know about that. There are plenty of Rickles-influenced comedians having success these days. Just ask Bill Burr or Anthony Jeselnik. But you're right, those Tonight Show appearances were top-notch.

My impression from last night's game was that Buffalo's defensive structure is BAD. Could be a personnel thing, but it looks to me like coaching is the problem. I'd feel bad for Connor but he got paid, so godspeed to him.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Wednesday, November 15 (Warrior Ice Arena, Brighton, MA)
- Practice, 12 p.m.
- Head Coach Jim Montgomery and select players available to media following practice

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Agree he has not been bad

he also has not been playing at the top of his game - it looks like he is trying to do too much and deferring on taking his ( excellent) shot

my guess- the weight of the C is showing a bit - in wanting to show the way as a leader and the captain he might be putting a bit of pressure on himself and his game isn't as smooth as usual

all that said - as long as the goalie tandem continues it's stellar play these type of observations are really only rounding errors

No more Bergeron to lean on either.

Seems like the hip surgeries took a toll. The magic in his game is gone. But Marchy is still productive on sheer determination and as the captain, I think his effort is more influencial on his teammates.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
When is the Bruins difficult part of the schedule??!?!?!?!? I am old enough to remember when people thought they only beat the 'bad teams'

About that......

In fairness, it's coming.

The last 3 months of the season are going to be considerably more challenging. Doesn't mean we aren't up for it. But the schedule there is brutal.

Man I'm loving this start. Pinch me.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
When Lucic returns he cannot be the only guy hitting and settling issues. They need another wing who will hit. Duhaime, Kunin, Jason Dickinson, Trenin, Acciari. None of them are on very good teams, all are a bit older and Sweeney should be able to get them for a mid level Steen like prospect or as part of a bigger deal with Minnesota or San Jose where Duhaime and Kunin are concerned.

The D just needs anybody in the bottom pair that will hit and protect the goalies. I don't care if he is 5'7 or 6'5 just hammer somebody if they run Ullmark or Swayman.

They played well last night but they need to get tougher, this is not the "tougher to play against" Montgomery espoused before the season, they may be playing softer without Greer.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Seems like the hip surgeries took a toll. The magic in his game is gone. But Marchy is still productive on sheer determination and as the captain, I think his effort is more influencial on his teammates.
I don't agree. Brad is still an amazing player. I think there is still magic there.

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
The talk of Brad Marchand being bad is crazy talk. Guy is on pace for a 40g 50a - 90pt season while being around a +20. He is performing at this level at 35 while also taking on the role of captain and also playing his first year without Patrice Bergeron. Very solid in my book. Is Felger in here trolling us?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I don't agree. Brad is still an amazing player. I think there is still magic there.

I don't have the confidence in him making the big play anymore. Haven't seen him make those near impossible passes between defender's sticks like he used to. Still can make the great rush up ice but rarely finishes anymore. But he can still produce on determination and smarts.

Just by the numbers, last season saw Marchand score under a point per game for the first time since 2015-16.

Reactions: Gordoff

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
^ He also was coming off double hip surgery. The fact that he was still near a point per game was great.

I think Marchand is playing fine at the end of the day, but I also agree that he's making some bonehead plays and seems like his hands aren't as sharp as they once were. Mind you, he's mid 30's and that stuff seems to happen.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
when looch comes back who sits?
i love louko in there. forchecking machine.
steen i think is underrated around here. i think he could actually play 3rd line.

i hope lorhei stays on tge roster and we tty abd deal gryz. its been way too long.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
when looch comes back who sits?
i love louko in there. forchecking machine.
steen i think is underrated around here. i think he could actually play 3rd line.

i hope lorhei stays on tge roster and we tty abd deal gryz. its been way too long.
Lucic & Grizz will bump Lohrei and Steen we all know that.

While I don't disagree that they have a great record, to say they're lacking certain things is completely fair too.
Every team is missing something though.Oilers have arguably 2 best players on planet and have 9 pts would be an example.I could find faults even with Vegas who won Cup a few months ago

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Only hf would find something to complain about in 5-2 win lol. We didnt hit enough. We didnt beat the crap out of Couzens after his take down of Pasta. Those days are gone people.
Why do those days have to be "gone" though? Because that's completely make believe. They played a solid game, but to say that they didn't really push back when Buffalo were taking clear runs is completely fair. No one is saying go two hand a guys noggin off his shoulders. Lauko was ran probably 2-3 times, and healthy runs, too.

Marchand was hit hard (cleanly) but hard and then Pastrnak was dangerously tossed down from behind. Nothing. Again, take a number, deliver it back.

If that's the game you like to see them play, fine, fill your boots. It's not really for me, though. It's the same brand of hockey we used to make fun of other teams for. You know? The turn the other cheek hockey. The team that we made fun of for that brand of play took it to the Bruins on Saturday night, too.

This idea of you can't win games by pushing back is kind of silly. They were up 5-0 and they still didn't even look like they were a bit irritated.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Why do those days have to be "gone" though? Because that's completely make believe. They played a solid game, but to say that they didn't really push back when Buffalo were taking clear runs is completely fair. No one is saying go two hand a guys noggin off his shoulders. Lauko was ran probably 2-3 times, and healthy runs, too.

Marchand was hit hard (cleanly) but hard and then Pastrnak was dangerously tossed down from behind. Nothing. Again, take a number, deliver it back.

If that's the game you like to see them play, fine, fill your boots. It's not really for me, though. It's the same brand of hockey we used to make fun of other teams for. You know? The turn the other cheek hockey. The team that we made fun of for that brand of play took it to the Bruins on Saturday night, too.

This idea of you can't win games by pushing back is kind of silly. They were up 5-0 and they still didn't even look like they were a bit irritated.
I like hard hitting hockey but not the well that guy hit my player lets kill him. If that was allowed Marchy would be dead lol. Guys get hit. All the time. Stars now a days are targeted. I seen the days off protecting the stars with tough players that would drop the gloves if you looked sideways at a player. The league has changed. Do i like it? Mixed bag for me. I love clean hits and spontaneous fights. Not a fan of the staged or the revenge cause you hit my player fights.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I like hard hitting hockey but not the well that guy hit my player lets kill him. If that was allowed Marchy would be dead lol. Guys get hit. All the time. Stars now a days are targeted. I seen the days off protecting the stars with tough players that would drop the gloves if you looked sideways at a player. The league has changed. Do i like it? Mixed bag for me. I love clean hits and spontaneous fights. Not a fan of the staged or the revenge cause you hit my player fights.
I don't think you're really getting what I'm saying. It's fine.

Reactions: BBruins and Gordoff

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
You ever watch those Dean Martin roasts ? Like the Hall of Fame of early TV/movies

Rickles today is not politically correct. He and Carson were phenomenal
There are a few FB groups dedicated to them.
Lots of funny clips.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

To summarize from my perspective. I know that this isn’t 1989 anymore and I can accept that the game has changed and is likely never going back to the way I’d like it to be played.

With that being said, there needs to be a threshold as to where the Bruins will push back and I really think it’s much too high right now.

To use numbers for illustrative purposes:

In the 80’s that threshold was probably about 20

In the 90’s probably 30

The 2009-2014 team probably about 35

Todays team, it seems to be approaching 80.

Not good enough, especially when it’s Marchand, Pasta or one of the rookies on the receiving end.

Lastly, I don’t think a clean, but hard hit needs to be avenged.

But when a team is running around and throws several clean, but hard hits someone needs to step up and either do the same or throw down with someone to send a message.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
To summarize from my perspective. I know that this isn’t 1989 anymore and I can accept that the game has changed and is likely never going back to the way I’d like it to be played.

With that being said, there needs to be a threshold as to where the Bruins will push back and I really think it’s much too high right now.

To use numbers for illustrative purposes:

In the 80’s that threshold was probably about 20

In the 90’s probably 30

The 2009-2014 team probably about 35

Todays team, it seems to be approaching 80.

Not good enough, especially when it’s Marchand, Pasta or one of the rookies on the receiving end.

Lastly, I don’t think a clean, but hard hit needs to be avenged.

But when a team is running around and throws several clean, but hard hits someone needs to step up and either do the same or throw down with someone to send a message.
I'm not even needing a guy to fight, it's a take a number type thing. We saw a guy who was just coming off a potential career ending injury in a full cage get absolutely creamed 2-3 times when you're up 4-0 or 5-0 and no one so much as called them a nerd. Cozens should have had someone on his tail the entire evening after that bush league play on Pastrnak.

They got knocked around Saturday night too against Montreal.

It was a good time for Frederic to lay into someone with a good, hard hit. If he did that, who knows? Maybe they retaliate and the Bruins go on the PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad