Post-Game Talk: GAME 14 - Took a 5 on 3 in OT but 2 points is 2 points - BRUINS 2 Dallas 1 F/OT

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
My assessment is of Tuukka body of work this season. It has been subpar. I expect more from him and more for the money he is making.
Do you agree that in the first game at Washington this year that other than 2 goals the others was not his fault considering how terrible the rest of the team was playing?

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
The logic and facts of Tuukkas season so far is that it has been subpar. Please let his season numbers if you do not agree.

Just to ensure everyone has all the facts - here they are. SV% 2.78 - GAA .909 @ 7 million a season.

Context and sample size..........two concepts that are clearly not for everyone.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
There has been more then a few goalies that have had poor starts to the season.

Hellebuyck .907 sv% and 3.01 GAA
Bobrovsky .902 sv% and 3.09 GAA
Jones .899 sv% and 2.72 GAA
Holtby .888 sv% and 3.62 GAA
Murray .886 sv% and 3.87 GAA

Many decent goalies have had a rough start to the year, smaller equipment may have a reason but Rask isn't the only one struggling.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
The logic and facts of Tuukkas season so far is that it has been subpar. Please let his season numbers if you do not agree.

Just to ensure everyone has all the facts - here they are. SV% 2.78 - GAA .909 @ 7 million a season.

The first game where the entire team got scorched was subpar. He gave up a bad goal in the Montreal game and the second one was a great play by Domi. Not on Tukka that they didn't score in those games. After the Caps game Tuukka's been pretty good in my book. As long as it doesn't kill their chances of making changes I don't give a rat's patootie about salary. That's between the player and the team

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I don't disagree with you and my comment is not only for Rask but includes all keeper. The first goal scored in a game is often an important one. Boston wins more game scoring the first goal of a game....so if the first goal is a softie, then chances of winning are not the same. All softies are not that bad... it depends when the softy is given.

there is truth to what you are saying... here in Edmonton grant fuhr was called the best goalie in the nhl despite allowing a ton of softies. everyone always said... he wont allow one when it matters.

there are definitely times in a game that matter more than other times. but for me, at the end of the day... the measure of a goalie is wins. I don't ask my goalie to be pretty... there are a lot of very spectacular netminders in history that made dazzling saves because quite frankly... they were always out of position. when you are out of position, the saves you make look more spectacular. but you end up not getting to all the pucks you need to and you end up losing.

Gerry cheevers never struck me as a spectacular goalie... but the guy won games. moog wasn't as spectacular as some goalies but he won games.

when tim Thomas showed up... he as very spectacular but he wasn't winning any games for us until he worked with our goalie coach and had his game shored up some. sure, he still was spectacular on the run to the cup... but it required a lot of work to make him into a serviceable goalie. his spectacular talent for flopping and making unbelievable saves never got him a steady gig in the nhl until he learnt how to make easy saves too.

rask may have an issue with his focus... or confidence... im not sure. he does allow a lot of soft goals and imo he allows them at bad times. his overall record is very very good. he has won the second most games of any goalie in the nhl since becoming a starter according to the stat I saw here the other day... maybe it was kpd article in the paper?

wins ultimately matter... matter more than fancy saves... matter more than soft goals at bad times... matter more than anything. if a goalie wins he is doing a good enough job. and if he wins more often then anyone else hes doing a more gooder enougher job than anyone else would have been in his shoes.

I have never proposed we trade rask before this past 2 weeks... ive always been a huge fan. but I sense the mood has turned against him enough and with halak here... and the cap being what it is... I think goalies are a mental animal. and all this trade talk is probably effecting rask on a level we will never know... and maybe for the good of everyone it might be time to look at trade options

hes still a very good goalie... im just not sure hes good enough to win for us at playoff time and that's where we really must place our focus. im not going to run him out the door calling him crap though. imo hes easily one of the top 5-7 goalies I would want if cap was no issue and I was entering a new season with just 1 goalie to rely on for the year

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

what are his 'season' numbers if you take that one aberration Washington capital game out of the equation?

13 goals against in his other 6 games on 179 shots against?

what is that a? a gaa of around 2.15 or so? a save % of around .925 ish?

so we could say that his 'season' numbers are going to reflect that Washington game... and he will have more performances like that... or

we might say that the Washington game was an aberration and the other SIX GAMES are a more accurate pattern what to expect and the more games he plays going forward the more that Washington game will lose its undeserved impact on the average.

if you want to use numbers and logic to do your arguing for you... dig deeper. sometimes trying to use numbers this way is going to end up hurting the point you want to be making

by the way tukka has lost 3 games this year... his goal support in those 3 games??? yeah, right... just 2
2 goals of support in his 3 loses. maybe the whole team stunk in those 3 games?

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
The first game where the entire team got scorched was subpar. He gave up a bad goal in the Montreal game and the second one was a great play by Domi. Not on Tukka that they didn't score in those games. After the Caps game Tuukka's been pretty good in my book. As long as it doesn't kill their chances of making changes I don't give a rat's patootie about salary. That's between the player and the team
Take out the first bad game, and Tuukka's stats are 2.15 GAA, .925 Sv%. 3 losses, in which the team has scored 2 goals combined and were shut out twice. Let's be honest, Tuukka had a bad game against WSH, and let in a bad goal the last game. He's actually been pretty good with a couple of bad outings. But some act like his WSH and DAL games are the entirety of his body of work.

Tbrady12

Oct 19, 2018
Well as they say, Defense wins championships. Outside of the China Hangover in DC, the team has shut everyone down. Now if they can flip on just a bit of offense they'll be on their way.

They have yet to play 1 game this year with Krug, Gryz and Charlie all in the lineup, that alone could jump start the offense from the back end.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
People keep calling Tuuk on a soft goal against Dal . He only allowed 1 goal in that game and gets hammered in here

Last edited:
Reactions: Chief Nine

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
I get the feeling that the coaching staff does not trust Pastrnak in OT defensively, which could be why they sent Nordstrom out there with him.

Someone in here said Krug took responsibility for it going off his stick, but I don't see that.

I think it was deflected off of Krug's stick. Looks like it went off the heal of his stick.

If DeBrusk was not snakebitten and overthinking things he would be the trigger man on the second line. Once he gets going the second with roll. Nordstrom adds a necessary element to that line it needed. But I agree, I don't see this as a solid line. Sweeney has got to be working the phones, especially with 2 teams jettisoning their coaches this week.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You missed the first goal I take it? That is no Rask narrative - that is Rask fact. Weak and puts the team behind the eight ball right at the start.

You missed the interview with krug saying the puck redirected off his stick? Rask has a .927 save percentage since after the first game and a .953 in his past 3 games while only allowing 4 goals.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I agree the offense has to be better. But so does Tuukka. Funny how you list his numbers from last night and not the season. Let's be honest, they are terrible. I am not a Tuukka hater. I am a realist. fact of the matter is Tuukka has been awful this season. I expect more for 7 mil a season and so should all Bruins fans IMO.

Ya he had a bad game against Washington but has a .927 save percentage since after the all star game. That’s elite level save percentage.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
there is truth to what you are saying... here in Edmonton grant fuhr was called the best goalie in the nhl despite allowing a ton of softies. everyone always said... he wont allow one when it matters.

there are definitely times in a game that matter more than other times. but for me, at the end of the day... the measure of a goalie is wins. I don't ask my goalie to be pretty... there are a lot of very spectacular netminders in history that made dazzling saves because quite frankly... they were always out of position. when you are out of position, the saves you make look more spectacular. but you end up not getting to all the pucks you need to and you end up losing.

Gerry cheevers never struck me as a spectacular goalie... but the guy won games. moog wasn't as spectacular as some goalies but he won games.

when tim Thomas showed up... he as very spectacular but he wasn't winning any games for us until he worked with our goalie coach and had his game shored up some. sure, he still was spectacular on the run to the cup... but it required a lot of work to make him into a serviceable goalie. his spectacular talent for flopping and making unbelievable saves never got him a steady gig in the nhl until he learnt how to make easy saves too.

rask may have an issue with his focus... or confidence... im not sure. he does allow a lot of soft goals and imo he allows them at bad times. his overall record is very very good. he has won the second most games of any goalie in the nhl since becoming a starter according to the stat I saw here the other day... maybe it was kpd article in the paper?

wins ultimately matter... matter more than fancy saves... matter more than soft goals at bad times... matter more than anything. if a goalie wins he is doing a good enough job. and if he wins more often then anyone else hes doing a more gooder enougher job than anyone else would have been in his shoes.

I have never proposed we trade rask before this past 2 weeks... ive always been a huge fan. but I sense the mood has turned against him enough and with halak here... and the cap being what it is... I think goalies are a mental animal. and all this trade talk is probably effecting rask on a level we will never know... and maybe for the good of everyone it might be time to look at trade options

hes still a very good goalie... im just not sure hes good enough to win for us at playoff time and that's where we really must place our focus. im not going to run him out the door calling him crap though. imo hes easily one of the top 5-7 goalies I would want if cap was no issue and I was entering a new season with just 1 goalie to rely on for the year
I remember in 2011 saying the same about Thomas. Thought he was never be capable of passing thru Montreal, cause I thought he wasn't capable of going thru the pressure and media.

I remember also what happen afterwards. He won the stanley cup. I also think it also might be Rask case. I also beleive he might not be capable of sustaining the pressure it needs to win. But at the same time i remember 2011!

Finally the question: has Rask proved being capable of winning games. Yes, he is in the top five having the best numbers in the recent past years. Then with his potential, talent and history i think he can prove me wrong and being capable of winning it all in the right context and the right team.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Do you agree that in the first game at Washington this year that other than 2 goals the others was not his fault considering how terrible the rest of the team was playing?

I would not narrow it down to 2 goals. He has not been good. Halak has been much better and the numbers prove it.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Context and sample size..........two concepts that are clearly not for everyone.

Tuukka is a notoriously slow starter and it hurts the team. There is a very large sample size on that. Here is where my argument gets put into context.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016

I do not see it the same way. Agree to disagree.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
what are his 'season' numbers if you take that one aberration Washington capital game out of the equation?

13 goals against in his other 6 games on 179 shots against?

what is that a? a gaa of around 2.15 or so? a save % of around .925 ish?

so we could say that his 'season' numbers are going to reflect that Washington game... and he will have more performances like that... or

we might say that the Washington game was an aberration and the other SIX GAMES are a more accurate pattern what to expect and the more games he plays going forward the more that Washington game will lose its undeserved impact on the average.

if you want to use numbers and logic to do your arguing for you... dig deeper. sometimes trying to use numbers this way is going to end up hurting the point you want to be making

by the way tukka has lost 3 games this year... his goal support in those 3 games??? yeah, right... just 2
2 goals of support in his 3 loses. maybe the whole team stunk in those 3 games?

Fantastic rebuttal. Unfortunately, cherry picking numbers does not change a thing. Cassidy probably agrees as Halak get the start today.

When a goaltender is not sharp and lets in weak goals it has an effect on the entire teams' psyche. It's a cause and effect thing.
And yes, I know Tuukka cannot score goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad