Post-Game Talk: GAME 14 - Took a 5 on 3 in OT but 2 points is 2 points - BRUINS 2 Dallas 1 F/OT

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Luckily this time the team was able to ensure that only one or two more shots went on Rask that period. Otherwise, they would have been toast. As the broadcasters said, the team was still on the powerplay and able to score with the man advantage, thereby immediately negating Rask's failed attempt at a save.
My post was really just commentary on how overblown the assertions are that Tuukka deflates the team. I think it's mostly hogwash, and a crutch people use to rip on him.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
tha main question is who do you guys feel more comfortable starting against tor saturday?
i know its halak for me.
not only going by this years play. but tuukka almost gave away game 7 last year until anderson beat him to it.

Reactions: fin8

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Wait, I thought Tuukka's softies always deflated the team?

In previous games, you could see the demeanor of the team change in a bad way. Last night their demeanor changed again, but this time is was more of a "f*** this, we're not letting this stop us from winning this game"

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
tha main question is who do you guys feel more comfortable starting against tor saturday?
i know its halak for me.
not only going by this years play. but tuukka almost gave away game 7 last year until anderson beat him to it.
Tuukka has pretty great stats against Toronto, he'd be my start. Halak vs. Vancouver and VGK. If Halak comes out with an unreal start against Vancouver then I would consider changing this.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
i know its halak for me.

I have to admit that when Halak plays I don't have as much anxiety compared to Rask's starts.

I think Rask will start getting back into a groove soon (fingers crossed), but Halak is playing very positionally sound and focused right now.

I'd like to see Rask start against the Nucks on Thursday, and I'd like to see how Halak does against the Leafs on Saturday.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
One thing that really bugs me about Tuukka is the fact that he's simply on his knees way too often. If you watch him play and he moves around quite a bit on his knees, maybe a bit too much.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
One thing that really bugs me about Tuukka is the fact that he's simply on his knees way too often. If you watch him play and he moves around quite a bit on his knees, maybe a bit too much.
It's just the butterfly style. The difference is Rask is 6'2" 185 lbs...a guy like Price is one inch taller but 30 pounds heavier. Rinne is about 3 inches taller and as heavy as price. Unfortunately there is just more space overall behind Rask when he's down vs. those guys.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
It's just the butterfly style. The difference is Rask is 6'2" 185 lbs...a guy like Price is one inch taller but 30 pounds heavier. Rinne is about 3 inches taller and as heavy as price. Unfortunately there is just more space overall behind Rask when he's down vs. those guys.
Thought both Rask and Price were the same height. Rask look definitly thiner though

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
NHL rule 1006.79.34 Part B:

No goaltender is allowed to give up what's considered by "goaltending experts" to be a soft goal. If said NHL goaltender gives up a soft goal as agreed up by the majority of said "goaltending experts" those experts will have explicit rights to ignore logic and facts, exaggerate upon, and create misinformation regarding said woeful play by a designated goaltender

aka the Rask Rule.

Reactions: Chief Nine

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
re: secondary scoring: Ideally, wouldn't it be nice if Bjork starts getting his scoring mojo going (he "had" one last night), then just switch him and Nordstrom.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Tuukka owes this team big time. They bailed him out of this one.

When your back up from last year is the better goalie when you face him this year, it is really time to have a look in the mirror Tuukka...

when a goalie allows only 1 goal... you expect to win. doesn't really matter if the goal was soft. 1 goal is 1 goal is 1 goal is 1 goal

show me a game the opposition got zero scoring chances if you demand zero goals.

sure we would like zero goals... and sure we hate soft goals... but 1 goal is doing the job

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
when a goalie allows only 1 goal... you expect to win. doesn't really matter if the goal was soft. 1 goal is 1 goal is 1 goal is 1 goal

show me a game the opposition got zero scoring chances if you demand zero goals.

sure we would like zero goals... and sure we hate soft goals... but 1 goal is doing the job
I don't disagree with you and my comment is not only for Rask but includes all keeper. The first goal scored in a game is often an important one. Boston wins more game scoring the first goal of a game....so if the first goal is a softie, then chances of winning are not the same. All softies are not that bad... it depends when the softy is given.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
The fourth line is doing just fine. They're not scoring, but they are pounding away and providing the kind of energy the "Merlot Line" used to provide. Wagner getting better all the time, Kuraly forechecking like a mad dog, and Acciari chipping in with big hits. On a team with quite a few smallish forwards, they make a big difference.

Getting tired of Heinen's lack of offense. His upside is probably that of Nordstrom's. Bjork seems more likely to provide offense at this point. Ultimately I would like to see Donato with Krejci and DeBrusk.

Carlo, Gryz have been great, Krug getting his mojo back, and Moore's been much better lately.

How long before Backes goes down again? Is Frederic going to be ready to step in?

Why not try Bjork on the PK? It's not like he's never done it before, and he has more speed than Acciari. Team him with Nordstrom on the second unit.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
He gave up..............one.............goal.

Another soft goal. I am sorry if I expect more from our 7 million dollar cap hit goaltender.

Please list his numbers for the season and you'll see my argument holds water here.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Tuukka has a .960 save percentage last night. The offense was struggling to score and drilling posts. The team owes tuukka and halak to start performing in front of them.

2 goals by the offense last night, zero in Nashville and zero in Montreal and 5 goals in the last 4 games.

It’s the offense that needs to be better, not the goaltending.

I agree the offense has to be better. But so does Tuukka. Funny how you list his numbers from last night and not the season. Let's be honest, they are terrible. I am not a Tuukka hater. I am a realist. fact of the matter is Tuukka has been awful this season. I expect more for 7 mil a season and so should all Bruins fans IMO.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
I get he let in a weak one.....but he got the W and only let in 1 goal. If you told me before the game that he was letting in one against that Dallas team, I'd be thrilled to hear that.

We aren't going to win games in regulation scoring only 1 goal

Agreed, but Tuukka has had a horrible start to the season. He gets paid to be ready to play night in and night out. Halak has completely outplayed him. He just seems too complacent.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
NHL rule 1006.79.34 Part B:

No goaltender is allowed to give up what's considered by "goaltending experts" to be a soft goal. If said NHL goaltender gives up a soft goal as agreed up by the majority of said "goaltending experts" those experts will have explicit rights to ignore logic and facts, exaggerate upon, and create misinformation regarding said woeful play by a designated goaltender

The logic and facts of Tuukkas season so far is that it has been subpar. Please let his season numbers if you do not agree.

Just to ensure everyone has all the facts - here they are. SV% 2.78 - GAA .909 @ 7 million a season.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016

My assessment is of Tuukka body of work this season. It has been subpar. I expect more from him and more for the money he is making.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Another soft goal. I am sorry if I expect more from our 7 million dollar cap hit goaltender.

Please list his numbers for the season and you'll see my argument holds water here.

Krug disagrees, therefore I disagree, with you......but the amount of crying you're doing over 1 goal allowed is impressive.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad