GDT: Game #14| Feb. 12, 2013|Flyers at Jets |8:00 p.m. ET

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I think he's here to stay. He's getting on the score sheet most nights and bringing size/toughness to the lineup. If he didn't have respect in the locker room already, he earned it tonight. Stuart went after Voracek orginally and Tye stepped in for Jake.

I certainly hope so. He's a guy that is the ultimate team player. He's taken cheap shots, gotten into fights, and has stuck up for guys the way you would expect a veteran to do. It also doesn't hurt that he's gotten on the board a lot like you said. I would love to see his type on the third line at any time.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I certainly hope so. He's a guy that is the ultimate team player. He's taken cheap shots, gotten into fights, and has stuck up for guys the way you would expect a veteran to do. It also doesn't hurt that he's gotten on the board a lot like you said. I would love to see his type on the third line at any time.

You definitely have to give Holmgren and the scouts their credit on this one. They found a solid player in the 4th round. Seems like we get a lot of good forwards from the QMJHL.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
You definitely have to give Holmgren and the scouts their credit on this one. They found a solid player in the 4th round. Seems like we get a lot of good forwards from the QMJHL.

I'll never doubt the Flyer's Q scouts after the Giroux pick, but yes they have otherwise done very well in that province. Anybody have a back story on McGinn? Doesn't sound like a Q name, anybody know how he ended up there? The only thing I could find is that he's from Ontario... passed over by the OHL perhaps.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'll never doubt the Flyer's Q scouts after the Giroux pick, but yes they have otherwise done very well in that province. Anybody have a back story on McGinn? Doesn't sound like a Q name, anybody know how he ended up there? The only thing I could find is that he's from Ontario... passed over by the OHL perhaps.

Looking at his profile on elite prospects, he played 59 games in the OHL for Ottawa and then moved on to the QMJHL. I'm guessing he was released by Ottawa and picked up on waivers by Gatineau.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA

From McGinn's original draft thread:

Tye McGinn was invited to the Gatineau Olympiques' training camp in 2008, after having been cut by the Ottawa 67's.
Though a late bloomer, he has developed into a very good hockey player.
In fact, he was the Olympiques' best player last year and was probably the best power forward in all the Q.
If he returns to the Olympiques this year as a 20-year old (which I hope will be the case), he could very well be a key cornerstone on a Cup contending team.
He has good hands, a strong shot, good vision and has improved his skating quite a bit.
He is tough, can even be punishing at times and when required, he can drop the gloves and go with the best of them.
I think he will fit quite well in the Flyers' organization.
Good luck to Tye McGinn.

That thread as a whole has some...interesting choices of words by some of our members.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=791721

Last edited:

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I was actually coming here to post a question about this McGinn chap! I have not gotten much of a chance to see many games this year but I like the stats he has put up so far....any chance that we may have gotten a potential gem in the rough so to speak?

It would be nice to have something to be positive about in this less then stellar start to this young season.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Still don't get lavy's ice time distributions

adb2G5n8.png

check out B. Schenn's and Voracek's ice time and even McGinn. The way they have played for several games now i think they deserves more then that.

and why is g playing more sh minutes then anyone else on the team if you want to get him going offensively. i understand he's winning fo right now but you can't keep riding him like this.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Still don't get lavy's ice time distributions

adb2G5n8.png

check out B. Schenn's and Voracek's ice time and even McGinn. The way they have played for several games now i think they deserves more then that.

and why is g playing more sh minutes then anyone else on the team if you want to get him going offensively. i understand he's winning fo right now but you can't keep riding him like this.

It looks like he just tried to roll every line and keep them fresh being that it was a back to back on a long flight

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
It looks like he just tried to roll every line and keep them fresh being that it was a back to back on a long flight

but it wasn't just yesterday's game it has been like that all season. nobody cared earlier cause they were playing like garbage but now that hey are playing better i think they should be getting more ice time and they aren't.

StormLifer

Jan 7, 2013
Ariss, ON
He is from Fergus, ON. Younger brother of Jamie McGinn who plays for Colorado (traded from San Jose). They also have another brother Brock who plays for Guelph in the OHL.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Lol @ that thread. Some notorious naysayers posting hatred in that of the pick. Well, so far, I guess they're eating crow haha.

Well lets be realistic here for a second. He was an overager who didnt make the cut for the OHL and was barely a PPG player in the QMJHL. You can't really fault people for not getting excited for this type of player. If McGinn didnt improve drastically like he did from last year to this year, Id be on the same boat. He didnt look too good last season. He worked on his skating ability and it got him a job in the NHL (well for now anyway)

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Well lets be realistic here for a second. He was an overager who didnt make the cut for the OHL and was barely a PPG player in the QMJHL. You can't really fault people for not getting excited for this type of player. If McGinn didnt improve drastically like he did from last year to this year, Id be on the same boat. He didnt look too good last season. He worked on his skating ability and it got him a job in the NHL (well for now anyway)

I get not being excited, but to call a pick straight up stupid considering it was a 4th round pick... Maybe it's just me but I don't count on the 4th round becoming a dynamite player. If it does, it's a bonus. Plus, I'd be willing to guess a lot of people made that assessment based on numbers without seeing him play. I am not referring to you or anyone in particular, just speculation.

SuchySays

Jun 25, 2012
Poconos
but it wasn't just yesterday's game it has been like that all season. nobody cared earlier cause they were playing like garbage but now that hey are playing better i think they should be getting more ice time and they aren't.

because he's the only guy that can win a faceoff right now

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I get not being excited, but to call a pick straight up stupid considering it was a 4th round pick... Maybe it's just me but I don't count on the 4th round becoming a dynamite player. If it does, it's a bonus. Plus, I'd be willing to guess a lot of people made that assessment based on numbers without seeing him play. I am not referring to you or anyone in particular, just speculation.

Eh, as you can see, I didnt post in that thread (well I didnt see myself) because I reframed from saying whether it s a good pick or bad. The only time I will say its bad is if Homer decided to go goony, over a player I liked. Im a fan of drafting high risk high reward players (high risk as in he might not reach it). I also like players that might not be exposed to the public as much, but the Flyers see them. Example is Reese Willcox this past draft. I like the kid. He has the size and skating ability to play in the NHL. Homer compared him to Coburn and watching him play you can see why.

I agree that past the 3rd round, you should have a type of drafting philosophy. The Flyers havent done THAT bad late in the rounds. They got lower level guys like McGinn, Wellwood, etc etc. Im hoping that in this past draft they might of found a steal with all the d-men they drafted:

Gostisbehere
Larsson
Willcox
Vasiliev

I thought last draft had alot of the players I like. A combination of low exposed players, and high exposed. I agree with taking "safe" players (usually bigger players are considered safe since they have size), but some players just look iffy no matter where you draft him.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
He is from Fergus, ON. Younger brother of Jamie McGinn who plays for Colorado (traded from San Jose). They also have another brother Brock who plays for Guelph in the OHL.
Tye and Brock haha. There's a mom and dad who weren't thinking past the first 5 years.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Was at the game last night, I enjoyed watching the Flyers play, they played a pretty solid game for the most part. Bryz looked very good.

I also really like that Tye Mcginn kid. Hadn't heard of him before this game but from reading your board on him, I think he's proving some people wrong. Very good game from him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad