GDT: Game #14: Coyotes @ Predators - 6:00pm (AZ) - Scripps

bwhsocal

May 4, 2023
I say pump the brakes on Hanifin. Chase him in the summer. Keep hoarding picks in the meantime
we have so many picks now, why not use them to address specific needs or package them into moving up picks. Quantity is not an issue.

bwhsocal

May 4, 2023
Goalies are above average as a tandem. Defense is bottom 5. This team is only expecting to get 80-90pts anyway. And they’re on pace to do that. Everything is mostly going as planned.

I will say we can’t keep having 2/3 of Dermott, Brown and Stecher in the lineup. We could really use another good defenseman. Dumba isn’t playing well. Valimaki is ok but hasn’t taken another step. Moser-Durzi is great but should really be a 2nd pair. We need another solid blueliner. Give me Ferraro or Zadorov or maybe even Lauzon.
our GAA is #11 throw in the PK isnt great and we take the most penalties, that needs to get cleaned up, but no way is the D bottom 5.
I'd like to see dermott without dumba as his pair-i suspect dumba is making his partner look bad.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
We are really not very good. Goaltending and Defense are amongst the worst in the league. We were fortunate their goalie was very bad tonight. A W is a W, but this game has to keep coaches and the front office awake at night. Try that crap against Dallas and see what happens!
Hmm, good point. Last year @ 14 games: 6-7-1. So same, same. Against Dallas, I guess we'll find out on Tuesday.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
we have so many picks now, why not use them to address specific needs or package them into moving up picks. Quantity is not an issue.
It's exciting to have a decent team but it's too early in the rebuild to start spending futures. Adding Zadorov/Hanifin might take us from decent to good. Or maybe it wouldn't.

I'll be on board with spending futures when the trades can hopefully take us from good to great.

Maybe a year from now we'll have signed Hanifin as a UFA, and we'll be a better team and we'll see some more holes that need to be patched.

Bill has repeated many times that pulling out of a rebuild too soon is why so many teams fail at it.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I have been beating that drum for the last two weeks. Our PP is what keeps us going, along with the other lines doing pretty good 5on5.
Indeed, the only time you make sense is when overstating the obvious. Funny to see you Pat yourself on the back for it!

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Well, last year we also followed that start with a 1-6-3. If we do that again, yeah same same.
Right at 15-20 games in, teams start to get their structures better in place and start to clean up issues around team play/chemistry. Last year it was more helter skelter the first 15 games, then other teams got their act together, we didn't, we were still young. The last game against the Blues is a great example of early season slopiness, but we got the 2 points.

I am hoping Bear can clean up team D play, we can't be giving up 3-5 goals and expect to win with any consistently. Our PP is a great example of the talent we finally have now versus years past. Let's see what our coach can do to improve it.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
So you’re saying we should be first in both??

ricky-bobby-will-ferell.gif

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
I’d venture it’s been a looooooong time since we had two games in the same year where we scored 7 or more goals
Testing my memory but I think 2 seasons ago they had 8 goals in 2 games, one being Schmaltz 7 point game when they came back from a 0-4 deficit.

Fact checked....Schmaltz 7 point game they gave up a 4-0 lead against Ottawa March 5th 2022...but won 8-5. Defeated the RedWings 9-2 the next game March 8th.

Last edited:

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Testing my memory but I think 2 seasons ago they had 8 goals in 2 games, one being Schmaltz 7 point game when they came back from a 0-4 deficit.

Fact checked....Schmaltz 7 point game they gave up a 4-0 lead against Ottawa March 5th 2022...but won 8-5. Defeated the RedWings 9-2 the next game March 8th.
Lol, yeah I went to that game with an 80 yo retired sports historian, published author, from St Paul (his son was my best friend in high school in Florida), he said that was the craziest hockey game he'd ever seen in person. Which is saying something.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
our Defense is just on another level of bad. Brown can't defend at all, Stecher is not much better and now I know why Calgary never gave Valimaki a shot...he's been atrocious. I thought Dumba would actually help, but nope, not yet anyway.

Imagine how much better the team would be if the Defense was actually mediocre. Moser has probably been our best defender outside of Dermott's first 3 games.

At this point, can Kolyachonok or Soderstrom be any worse? I don't think so and maybe, just maybe they will be better.

I'm in full agreement. We need to see what both of those players got. Both have been very patient with the org too. Imagine they will want other opportunities if they don't get enough this season.
I think it's important we start address the blueline. Technically we did this offseason, but in a lot of ways it was replacing what we lost. I was very concerned one of Moser or Valimaki would take a step back. In some ways I'm glad it was Valimaki. But he looks more like a 3rd pairing guy now.
We're 11th in the league for goals scored and 11th for goals allowed. Not terrible to be honest, but need to be better at both ends.
We only allowed 3 goals vs NYR and NYI. That's skewing the goals against but regardless it's a huge improvement.

Reactions: Summer Rose

bwhsocal

May 4, 2023
It's exciting to have a decent team but it's too early in the rebuild to start spending futures. Adding Zadorov/Hanifin might take us from decent to good. Or maybe it wouldn't.

I'll be on board with spending futures when the trades can hopefully take us from good to great.

Maybe a year from now we'll have signed Hanifin as a UFA, and we'll be a better team and we'll see some more holes that need to be patched.

Bill has repeated many times that pulling out of a rebuild too soon is why so many teams fail at it.
hanifin is 26yo, sign for 6yrs- solves a top 4 D issue, w durzi and moser both resigned to length the D looks pretty solid, add simeshev in a couple years there is our top 4. at this point does soda, koly, or kesselring look like top 4 (i dont see it) maybe duda, szuber, or lamer (but not anytime soon), and any draft pick isnt ready for years. I agree on not jumping the rebuild too early but when have 20 x 1-3 round picks coming up we cant use them all already close to reserve limit. if Calg took 3 x 2nd and soda + langlios (seen that a few times) why not take it?

bwhsocal

May 4, 2023
I'm in full agreement. We need to see what both of those players got. Both have been very patient with the org too. Imagine they will want other opportunities if they don't get enough this season.
I think it's important we start address the blueline. Technically we did this offseason, but in a lot of ways it was replacing what we lost. I was very concerned one of Moser or Valimaki would take a step back. In some ways I'm glad it was Valimaki. But he looks more like a 3rd pairing guy now.

We only allowed 3 goals vs NYR and NYI. That's skewing the goals against but regardless it's a huge improvement.
and we scored 1 and 0 in those two - so skewing the GF, but so far this year we lost 6 games by 1,1,1,1,2,3 the LAK loss was the only stinker loss, how many blowout losses did we have last year?
I see the biggest issues so far are:
1 - too many penalties
2 - below avg PK - maybe a bit because they on PK so much
3 - too many D end turnovers/bad clears
4 - top line struggling 5v5

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes