GDT: Game #14: Coyotes @ Predators - 6:00pm (AZ) - Scripps

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Well, it was entertaining...not sure how I feel about the team defense...which makes me feel uncomfortable in thinking that we could start a winning streak, just too many holes defensively to be able to put several good games together.

But hey, we've played 14 and won 7 of them....not a bad start.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
What a great win for you guys. The coyotes are a serious entertaining team to watch, so many young exciting players and the way they play is great. You guys have a great future ahead. Hanifin would be amazing as I think another solid defender to add to Moser and Durzi would do wonders.

bwhsocal

May 4, 2023
agree on the get hanafin comments. Calgary you got to think they going on full rebuild and want picks/prospects, what are we willing to give up? we have lots of picks and prospects.
top 4 of durzi/moser and hanafin/vali is pretty solid - dermott/stecher/brown serviceable bottom pair
dumba looks lost
between kesslering, soda, koly, szuber - hopeful someone is ready to move up
lamouroux, duda, simashev, or other reserve is a ways away still

Reactions: Grimes

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
We are really not very good. Goaltending and Defense are amongst the worst in the league. We were fortunate their goalie was very bad tonight. A W is a W, but this game has to keep coaches and the front office awake at night. Try that crap against Dallas and see what happens!

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Just watched the highlights…crazy game. That second goal by Carcone was actually FILTHY. I guess most would say that “the goalie should had that one,” and that’s probably true…but that wasn’t luck by Carcone, just a nice quick change of angle snipe that caught him off guard. He’s definitely got more skills than I gave him credit for…

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We are really not very good. Goaltending and Defense are amongst the worst in the league. We were fortunate their goalie was very bad tonight. A W is a W, but this game has to keep coaches and the front office awake at night. Try that crap against Dallas and see what happens!
Goalies are above average as a tandem. Defense is bottom 5. This team is only expecting to get 80-90pts anyway. And they’re on pace to do that. Everything is mostly going as planned.

I will say we can’t keep having 2/3 of Dermott, Brown and Stecher in the lineup. We could really use another good defenseman. Dumba isn’t playing well. Valimaki is ok but hasn’t taken another step. Moser-Durzi is great but should really be a 2nd pair. We need another solid blueliner. Give me Ferraro or Zadorov or maybe even Lauzon.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Grimes

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
What was the over/under for total goals??
6.5 for around -120ish

If we can get Hanifin for something less than a 1st then yes, but that is highly unlikely. I'd rather take baby steps and go get Zadorov for a 2nd.
I'm torn. I really think Hanafin (extended) would be very good for bringing up our prospects. Zadorov would be a nice consolation though.

I say pump the brakes on Hanifin. Chase him in the summer. Keep hoarding picks in the meantime
Gotta hope he signs with us in that situation though.

A sneaky three points by Cooley
Yep. Tied with Bedard with 11 points. Problem is Bedard has 7 goals.

Just watched the highlights…crazy game. That second goal by Carcone was actually FILTHY. I guess most would say that “the goalie should had that one,” and that’s probably true…but that wasn’t luck by Carcone, just a nice quick change of angle snipe that caught him off guard. He’s definitely got more skills than I gave him credit for…
Carcone needs to stay up. Boyd does not. Can't Jenik come up for Boyd?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
6.5 for around -120ish

I'm torn. I really think Hanafin (extended) would be very good for bringing up our prospects. Zadorov would be a nice consolation though.

Gotta hope he signs with us in that situation though.

Yep. Tied with Bedard with 11 points. Problem is Bedard has 7 goals.

Carcone needs to stay up. Boyd does not. Can't Jenik come up for Boyd?
Jenik for Boyd would be awesome. Especially with McBain out. We could use the sandpaper. I like LOB-Kerfoot-Jenik as a 4th line.

Reactions: finkelsteinberg

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Positive: The power play is good.

Negative: 5on5, our top line has a combined 4 goals. :shakehead

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Positive: The power play is good.

Negative: 5on5, our top line has a combined 4 goals. :shakehead
I have been beating that drum for the last two weeks. Our PP is what keeps us going, along with the other lines doing pretty good 5on5.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Goalies are above average as a tandem. Defense is bottom 5. This team is only expecting to get 80-90pts anyway. And they’re on pace to do that. Everything is mostly going as planned.

I will say we can’t keep having 2/3 of Dermott, Brown and Stecher in the lineup. We could really use another good defenseman. Dumba isn’t playing well. Valimaki is ok but hasn’t taken another step. Moser-Durzi is great but should really be a 2nd pair. We need another solid blueliner. Give me Ferraro or Zadorov or maybe even Lauzon.
I feel like simply putting Kolyachonok and Soderstom into the lineup would give us the improvement we're looking for.
Both were pointless in Tucson for a stretch until they were recently paired together. Slow starts - possibly from the disappointment of another demotion. I haven't watched them yet this year. I'm basing my opinion on how they've looked for the Coyotes in the past.

Moser Durzi
Valimaki Dumba
Kolyachonok Soderstom

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020

you are right, the goal tending is ~ average. I guess old ways die hard; I am so used to being an abused Coyote fan that its hard not be overly critical of every flaw. Did Babe Ruth get us cursed too?

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
our Defense is just on another level of bad. Brown can't defend at all, Stecher is not much better and now I know why Calgary never gave Valimaki a shot...he's been atrocious. I thought Dumba would actually help, but nope, not yet anyway.

Imagine how much better the team would be if the Defense was actually mediocre. Moser has probably been our best defender outside of Dermott's first 3 games.

At this point, can Kolyachonok or Soderstrom be any worse? I don't think so and maybe, just maybe they will be better.

Reactions: Grimes

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
our Defense is just on another level of bad. Brown can't defend at all, Stecher is not much better and now I know why Calgary never gave Valimaki a shot...he's been atrocious. I thought Dumba would actually help, but nope, not yet anyway.

Imagine how much better the team would be if the Defense was actually mediocre. Moser has probably been our best defender outside of Dermott's first 3 games.

At this point, can Kolyachonok or Soderstrom be any worse? I don't think so and maybe, just maybe they will be better.

Imagine how much better we would be with someone resembling a top-line center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad