GDT: Game 14 | Columbus @ New York Islanders | 7:30 PM EST

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Truly hoping Larsen drops Laine to 2nd or 3rd line after that one. He is supposed to be one of the leading players now. Don't even care about the result but that's an unacceptable effort level
Not so much an effort as a bad decision. Because he played good defense during the game.

But I still don't understand why he did it, showing the referee that he didn't foul when afterwards it could have been a 2-1 situation. Which is what happened.

Regarding where he should have played. I'm not against to move him to another line against Philly. He could play with Nyquist and Johnson with whom he has very good chemistry. For example:

Gaudreau -- Jenner -- Bemstrom
Nyquist -- Johnson -- Laine
Robinson -- Sillinger -- Chinakhov
Foudy -- Gaunce -- Olivier

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Not so much an effort as a bad decision. Because he played good defense during the game.

But I still don't understand why he did it, showing the referee that he didn't foul when afterwards it could have been a 2-1 situation. Which is what happened.

Why he did it? Gigantic brain fart plain and simple. He probably just got thrown off by getting the call and then had a bad reaction of going all "oh I'm not doing anything here" and effectively stopped playing. It doesn't make any sense on any level - the penalty is already called, now make sure you keep interfering :D

Reactions: VT

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Regarding where he should have played. I'm not against to move him to another line against Philly. He could play with Nyquist and Johnson with whom he has very good chemistry. For example:

Gaudreau -- Jenner -- Bemstrom
Nyquist -- Johnson -- Laine
Robinson -- Sillinger -- Chinakhov
Foudy -- Gaunce -- Olivier

I'm not convinced Jenner-Bemström combination can give Gaudreau what he needs to be really effective. Small sample sizes and all that, but during the time Laine was injured, the first line was not very good at all. I don't think Bemström is any better fit with Gaudreau than Nyquist was, though I guess you never know before you try.

Still, if you split Laine & Gaudreau you gotta give Gaudreau someone to make plays with. That probably means Johnson, so just swap the centers with 1st & 2nd line and IMO those lines make more sense.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I'm not convinced Jenner-Bemström combination can give Gaudreau what he needs to be really effective. Small sample sizes and all that, but during the time Laine was injured, the first line was not very good at all. I don't think Bemström is any better fit with Gaudreau than Nyquist was, though I guess you never know before you try.

Still, if you split Laine & Gaudreau you gotta give Gaudreau someone to make plays with. That probably means Johnson, so just swap the centers with 1st & 2nd line and IMO those lines make more sense.
I'd like to try Cinakhov, but I don't know how he'd play with Jenner that's why Bemstrom. Although it's possible that Sillinger will improve his game after his first goal. Simply, we, the "sofa experts", have a lot of suggestions. 😎
But I doubt the lines will be changed.

Btw video:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
"I'm fine, coach"

1668464620639.jpeg

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
CBJ coaching is really brave for putting Gudbransson on 4-on-4. And also dumb. Play him low minutes 5-on-5 and a lot of PK time. No other assignments.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Turns out he was injured … that’s why it’s always good to know all the facts before we rush to judgements .. not sure how Laine ends up out there in 3 vs 3 if he was injured though

It looked like he injured himself colliding with the guy on that 3-on-3, stretching his leg. It might have got an earlier hit on regular time, but it seemed that was the moment he felt that.

Also contrary to popular opinion, that game wasn't actually bad for Laine. He had plenty of good looks, but they cannot score, which is bad alright, but their game was at least "ok", as also "advanced stats" agree. It's just when you don't score and your last shift looks like shit, I can perfectly understand the backlash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad