Pre-Game Talk: GAME #13: LEAFS vs STARS | Thu, Nov 1 @ 7PM EST | Scotiabank Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Mike Babcock: "We have to have an internal accountability to make each other do it right every day" | Maple Leafs Hotstove

Then you talk about the team’s identity and how it evolves and develops, does it take a certain number of games every year to really settle in, or is it always an evolving thing?
Babcock
: I think for sure it takes a number of games and I think you’ve got to find yourself. When you’re not a battle-tested team… When I look at two teams in our league like Tampa and Nashville, for example — to me, they’ve been through it. They’ve been grinding. They’ve been doing it for a number of years. You get an identity and you can get back to it. I think you can be more consistent.
We are trying to find our way. We look like a real good team some nights, and then other nights, we are not as good. We have to find a way to do it right every day with an internal accountability to make each other do it right every day. When you get on real good teams, as much fun as you have, sometimes those are grumpier teams because you make each other accountable. We’ve got to do that.

Reactions: Lauro

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Should be a good test tonight, hopefully this new power play works a little better as it's cooled off significantly even before Matthews was injured.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
We're months away from the playoffs...

Sparks is undefeated, he hasn't hurt our record at all.

Yes, but the original post was about the current level of excitement around the team. A lot of the excitement has waned because the team is not living up to preseason expectations. It’s early, but the seed of doubt has been planted.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Yes, but the original post was about the current level of excitement around the team. A lot of the excitement has waned because the team is not living up to preseason expectations. It’s early, but the seed of doubt has been planted.

We're missing two of our four best forwards, we're going to look a little worse. The team still looks really resilient when you think about what we're missing.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
so Dermott and Holl are in tonight. Hopefully they can create that marlie magic. Also, would be amazing if Holl scores.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

The team is on pace for 109pts. They have 4 ppg+ players. on pace for near 300 goals.

What are you talking about?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The team is on pace for 109pts. They have 4 ppg+ players. on pace for near 300 goals.

What are you talking about?

Or you could say they they’ve scored 8 goals in the last 5 and are 2 and 3 against teams that are expected to make the playoffs.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I'm not as excited about games these says, I think it's because the Nylander situation is like a dark cloud above the team. Will he sign with us and if so, will there be any hanvogers re. his attitude or ill feelings between him and our other players or do we get back to normal? Or do we trade him and if so, what will the return be and are we worse off as a team? Or god forbid, does he sit out the year? It's almost like I find it hard to be fully invested in this team because I don't know if it's going to be the same team a month from now if that makes sense.

I'm just not enjoying the Leafs as much as I would be otherwise, is it just me? Still invested and it's always great to watch some of these guys, it's just that somethings off ...
I feel the same as you. Nylander certainly plays a role in that, but I think I also just want to forward to the playoffs. There's just too many games in the regular season and too much to really get worked up over on a game by game basis. It's also harder to find time to spend 3 hrs watching a game these days, if I'm lucky I might catch one period most of the time.

It's also frustrating when you see the same mistakes over and over. Patience is a virtue...

I find this article is a great read and is sobering

The Leafs Are Good And I’m Still Pissed Off

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary Nylund

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Or you could say they they’ve scored 8 goals in the last 5 and are 2 and 3 against teams that are expected to make the playoffs.
And in those 5 games they've given up only 10 goals (not including the 4 empty net goals against), not everything is so doom and gloom, my friend. Not a perfect 5 game stretch, but if this is as bad as it gets then we're in for a pretty good season.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

The team hasn't been able to ice their full roster all year.

I'll take our record and run considering Nylander hasn't played a single game and that Matthews is going to miss a huge chunk.

Reactions: 1specter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad