Pre-Game Talk: GAME #13: LEAFS vs STARS | Thu, Nov 1 @ 7PM EST | Scotiabank Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
We must be talking about two different quotes. I thought you meant the one where he said he needs to play like Hyman? Anyway, we definitely agree that Kapanen should be on the PP. Our list of actually skilled players is too short to not utilize one of them.
I was talking about two quotes. One was how he has to play like Hyman in the sense that he should be a grinder, and the other was how he should know his role is to be a penalty killer first and foremost. I think the two combined show that he doesn't really expect Kapanen to be a skilled player who thrives on the PP, which I personally disagree with. He's one of surprisingly few forwards that the Leafs have at the moment who have been effective offensively

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada
I've given up on Babcock's decisions. Is what it is. I understand if a player is not performing but Kappy has been good albeit due to Matthews but he doesn't deserve to be off either PP. Babcock has a hard on for the older players regardless of how they are playing. Marleau has not looked good all year yet hasn't moved off the top lines and or PP. Team has made some improvements since Babcock's hiring but honestly think the team is being held back due to his coaching and decisions.

Reactions: PuckMagi

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I've given up on Babcock's decisions. Is what it is. I understand if a player is not performing but Kappy has been good albeit due to Matthews but he doesn't deserve to be off either PP. Babcock has a hard on for the older players regardless of how they are playing. Marleau has not looked good all year yet hasn't moved off the top lines and or PP. Team has made some improvements since Babcock's hiring but honestly think the team is being held back due to his coaching and decisions.
Tavares is replacing Kap's spot not Marleau.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Tavares was always on the #1 PP unit. Marleau was on the second as well as being on one of the top 2 lines. He shouldn't be in my opinion. Kappy has played well and should be on one of the 2 PP's he's deserved it.
Tavares is taking Kap's spot on the wall, not Marleau.
I agree Kap should be in over Ennis but see nothing wrong with utilizing Tavares' shot on the first powerplay.

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
Kappy didn't work the powerplay today, just the penalty kill. Tavares moved from the net to the sideboards (where Kappy was) Marleau got moved from PP2 to PP1 as the net front guy, and then Hyman replaced Marleau as the net front guy on PP2.

I'm not sure why Ennis and Leivo are staples on PP2. Not sure why Kapanen is either PP1 or not on the powerplay at all.

I'd remove Ennis or Leivo and plug in Kapanen

That 2nd pp unit is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Please play PP1 for the whole powerplay or close to it

Reactions: ToneDog

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Apparently Johnsson hasn't earned enough playing 7 minutes a night with 4th liners to get a chance with actually talented players

Coaching this year and dealing with athletes who complain about playing time and not getting opportunity has finally allowed me to see what Babcock means. Yes we are giving you less playing time but it's what you do in that playing time that determines whether you are proving yourself or not. If you're not scoring but you're in the offensive zone all night creating scoring chances that is proving yourself. Johnson has been terrible to start the season.

It's all about making the best with the amount of minutes you've got

member 300185

Apparently Zach Hyman is on the 2nd PP at practice today.

I know the usual posters are going to complain about it, but I'm actually quiet intrigued to see how he does.

Assuming the refs decide to give us some powerplays, that is.
The only thing that can fix Hymans hands is a chisel.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The line-up is fine considering the situation(s).

One thing, without Matthews, the team gets a lot more boring, you almost take for granted how fun he is to watch.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Many teams wish they had a Tavares if their franchise C goes down to injury. Many teams wish they had this kind of top 6 without a franchise C and top RW. Gimme a break, guys. This team should be fine while Matthews is out. I see them going above .500 while Auston is out.

Reactions: Lauro

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
We've seen worse lineups. That we have someone as freaking good as Tavares there when Matthews isn't around really is a great luxury. That top line is still a very nice top line. Not the lineup I'd like to see, but guys are hurt/not signed.

What I want to see more than different line combinations is effort level. This lineup is good enough to win games. But not if they don't show up intending to outwork the other team.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
We're also missing dermott.
The team is gonna suffer, we're missing our best player and 1c, missing our 2nd best winger and still 1rw on most teams. And lastly missing dermott whilst on the bottom pair is pretty much a top 4 dman.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
If you look at the tweet closely, you'll see is what they are doing is moving Tavares away from the net front. So he's the one stealing Kapanen's spot, and they likely don't feel like Kapanen is the right guy to have in front of the net. As for the alternatives, none of them seem like options that might provide some value down there other than as a mobile screen, so Marleau is fine.

What I don't get is how Kapanen can't get a spot on the second unit. Ennis is getting his spot there, and I'd much rather have Kapanen on the ice for that. Hyman as net front is meh in the same vein as Marleau. It's not like I'm thrilled with him there, but I don't quite see a lot of good options either.

Youre right. I hope theres a reason like fatigue or a Babcock Shanny lesson here cause...

If we want a decent playoff run in a Div with Tampa and Boston... we need that home ice.
And thats with Kap whos single handedly winning us games other than matthews, Tavares, Marner, Reilly.

That one goal or win is huge. We are at .500. That isnt a crazy pad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad