GDT: Game 13 | Columbus @ Los Angeles | 10:30 p.m. | FS-OH

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Torts post game:

“We got the game straightened out and we crawled back into it.. and then we just blow up on our powerplay. You’ll have to ask them [about the players’ confidence on the PP], I can’t answer those questions. I’m not in their head.”

Torts began to ramble about the 5 on 5 play and entirely avoids talking about the powerplay for a hot second. Then Portzline asks another question about the PP...

Torts: “yeah, the powerplay has been an issue (for awhile now). We’re going to keep trying but the players have to take ownership of it. So yea, we’ll get on the bus, get ready to play our next game.. have our meeting and see if we can get things straightened out.. we just have to keep trying and get things straightened out, that’s all we can do.”

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Dubois had a bad night. M.I.A. physically, and giving away possession. Bad enough that I'm wondering if he's sick or something.

Duclair also seemed way off, Jones is still not 100%, Jenner + Anderson + Foligno had a good possession game. But it really is about the PP, isn't it?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
How many of those were deliberate deflections and tip ins? Zero.

October is high in scoring + faced only 2 top 10 teams on whole month. Carolina led the league in ES scoring too with absolute **** Special teams, and it finally sinked them. You won't go anywhere with bottom 3 special teams

Yes, the PP is the problem. The Jackets don't have a 5v5 scoring problem, they have a PP scoring problem.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It's mind blowing that Torts and the front office were signed to extensions. God knows how much term JD and Jarmo got.

The ownership is the real problem. The Chairman of Worthington Industries has a hockey team in Columbus out of an obligation to his deceased father. He has zero passion and interest in this team. And it shows. An owner who gave one damn would never ever re-upped John Davidson.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's mind blowing that Torts and the front office were signed to extensions. God knows how much term JD and Jarmo got.

The ownership is the real problem. The Chairman of Worthington Industries has a hockey team in Columbus out of an obligation to his deceased father. He has zero passion and interest in this team. And it shows. An owner who gave one damn would never ever re-upped John Davidson.

You're the only one who despises JD. And you think the reason the owner hasn't fired JD is because he doesn't care. Perhaps the owner is of like-mind with everyone else who is not you, and thinks well of JD.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
You're the only one who despises JD. And you think the reason the owner hasn't fired JD is because he doesn't care. Perhaps the owner is of like-mind with everyone else who is not you, and thinks well of JD.

JD has one playoff series victory in 13 years as a Team President. That is pitiful.

I am not the only one who thinks JD should not have been re upped:laugh:

Why don't you make the case for JD? It ought to be really easy given that "everyone else who is not you (me) thinks well of JD". Why is that?

Last edited:
Reactions: Monk

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm going with Cyclone here. Facts talk and bs walks. The Jackets, while a bit improved from when JD & Jarmo arrived, are now a middle of the road team destined for the bottom third of the pile after Bread leaves and Bob (who apparently has checked out already) leaves. There are no real apparent saviors in the farm system and with the exception of two or three guys currently on the roster no budding stars there either.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I can't be the only one who thinks Torts sounds completely out of ideas. "Get things straightened out"? That's the grand solution? He has been spouting these non-sequiturs for a while now and it's beyond tiresome. I really think it's time for Torts and Larsen to get the boot. Put Shaw at interim just as a figurehead until you can find someone else. But this is going off the rails very quickly.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
The least you guys could do is make up your minds and come to a consensus that the coaches are under coaching or over coaching.

If you guys claim both, the answer is probably neither.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
JD has one playoff series victory in 13 years as a Team President. That is pitiful.

I am not the only one who thinks JD should not have been re upped:laugh:

Why don't you make the case for JD? It ought to be really easy given that "everyone else who is not you (me) thinks well of JD". Why is that?

Nope, you're not alone. I mentioned at the time of the extensions I would have rather have waited to see how this season went, the Bob & Bread situations turned out, etc... got shelled for it by many on here too ... :rolleyes:

I can't be the only one who thinks Torts sounds completely out of ideas. "Get things straightened out"? That's the grand solution? He has been spouting these non-sequiturs for a while now and it's beyond tiresome. I really think it's time for Torts and Larsen to get the boot. Put Shaw at interim just as a figurehead until you can find someone else. But this is going off the rails very quickly.

Its 50/50 to me... one side is I don't expect him to suddenly have the solution when asked by the media.

The OTHER side is it would be nice if he talked x and o's regarding it to help explain where exactly we are at with it, what we are trying to do in general, etc...

It also seems like they've just been coached to death. No creativity. When they get pressured by the PK, they should be able to occasionally find open guys. Instead they freak out like they can't execute what they practiced.

They also haven't tried to threaten with a down low or cross-crease pass in ages. It's pure umbrella with strong-side shooters.

Pretty much this to a T. And to top it off, the mental aspect of it being in their head... that monkey on their back that they can't figure out. In another world... Like Michigan against OSU ;)

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Damn... Foligno’s venting seems to hit the nail on the head. Some honesty that I can appreciate.

This is a worth a read — Portzline’s Game recap

LOS ANGELES — Believe it or not, the Blue Jackets’ power play — a spirit-sucking disaster for well more than a year now — plunged to a new depth of ineptitude on Saturday. Bad enough to set a new franchise record. Bad enough to spoil a close game against the Los Angeles Kings in Staples Center.

And bad enough to set off captain Nick Foligno, whose postgame comments were as pointed and profane as any he’s uttered in his six-plus seasons in Columbus.

The Blue Jackets allowed two shorthanded goals on the same third-period power play — that’s a franchise first and a league-wide rarity — and lost 4-1 to the Kings. That’s two losses against the last-place team in the NHL’s overall standings in five days. The Blue Jackets were beaten at home by Detroit on Tuesday.

Foligno usually frames even difficult losses in a positive light. He sprinkled no sugar atop his words late Saturday, when the dressing room opened a couple of minutes late due to a brief team meeting.

“It’s really disappointing,” Foligno said. “This game is just disappointing. It’s not on anyone but the players. You can’t ask for … it’s nothing to do with the game plan. We have to get guys in here that commit to the team. I’m not saying guys aren’t, it’s just (about doing it) the right way, the right way to play.

“Do it when it’s hard. Do it the way we need to do it as a team, not when it’s easy and goals are coming, when you’re feeling it. Do it when it’s hard.

“You’re getting every team’s best when you’re a good team. We’ve crossed that bridge now. Teams know we’re a good team, so you’re getting that team’s best every time you play them. But we’re not giving teams our best, so what do you expect the result to be? We’ll do it, then we won’t do it. Do it, then we won’t do it. We’re just a reactionary team right now, and it’s costing us some big points.”

He was only getting started. The Blue Jackets have had plenty of stretches during Foligno’s time in Columbus where they’ve struggled. But this feels different, he said.
“This feels new to me, only because I haven’t experienced this Jekyll and Hyde so much,” he said. “One game we can play like world beaters, and the next game we play like slobs. I don’t understand it. It pisses me off as the captain of the team. I just don’t see the commitment that’s needed to win consistently in this league. I don’t know why guys haven’t realized that.

“We talk about, ‘Oh, we learned from the Washington (playoff) series.’ Well, we haven’t learned shit, obviously, with the way we’re playing. Talk is cheap on this team, and I’m tired of seeing guys talk and not do it. That’s my challenge to everybody in here.
“I mean, enough’s enough. There are only so many rah-rah speeches you can give. Only so much the coach can say. Eventually you have to go out and do it, do your job, play for the right reasons, play for your team, accept the role that you need to play and just do what you need to do to help us win. We do it on some nights, but there are too many nights early in the season where we haven’t done it. That’s bullshit.”

At 7:31 of the third, with the Kings ahead 2-1, Los Angeles’ Ilya Kovalchuk plowed into Blue Jackets goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky (25 saves), putting the Jackets on the power play.

Who could have guessed the Kings would use that situation to pad their lead?
Only 13 seconds into the power play, the Jackets allowed a shorthanded goal. Anze Kopitar (of course) scored on a second-effort play to make it 3-1.

Not even a minute later, Jackets forward Cam Atkinson tried a blind, backhand pass from above the right circle all the way across the blue line, but Dustin Brown picked it off and went in for a breakaway.

Blue Jackets defenseman Ryan Murray had no choice but to hook Brown as he gave chase, but Murray’s hooking on a breakaway led to a penalty shot. Brown scored on the penalty shot at 8:43. It was 4-1.
Once again, Nick Foligno …

“That’s a luxury to be on the power play; I was taught that when I came into the league,” Foligno said. “You don’t get on the power play. … I didn’t sniff it until three or four years into the league. You have to earn your right there.

“It just seems like we go over the boards and it’s … terrible. It’s sucking the life out of our team and it’s nothing Lars (assistant coach Brad Larsen) is doing, nothing the coaches are doing. It’s just us. We’re not executing.
“You look at guys, they don’t even want the puck. You’re watching guys when they get a pass and boom! … they whack it away. No composure. I get it. You’re struggling, you’re looking for confidence. But man, that’s when you have confidence. You’re a man up. You’re a man up out there, and we’re pissing away games because of that

Last edited:

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
I didn't get to watch this one since I was in the middle of nowhere, but the Foligno speech of pissed off seems like the only worthwhile bit... Not sure if I should even bither to sit and watch the recording

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm going with Cyclone here. Facts talk and bs walks. The Jackets, while a bit improved from when JD & Jarmo arrived, are now a middle of the road team destined for the bottom third of the pile after Bread leaves and Bob (who apparently has checked out already) leaves. There are no real apparent saviors in the farm system and with the exception of two or three guys currently on the roster no budding stars there either.

Your opinion that the team will be bottom third is not a fact. It's an opinion. One fact is that independent analysts consistently rate the Jackets as having one of the top few U-25 cores in the league. Another fact is that the Jackets are 13 games into the season and haven't missed the playoffs yet. You don't fire the team management over a rough 7-6 start.

I offer no arguments for JD because I don't know the guy. But I know Cyclones doesn't either and is just doing his typical character assassination bit.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
And another thing, how on earth would we know? We aren't with the coaches everyday.

People here seem to think they know exactly what the team is told what and what not to do.

However there is no consistency in what these are.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I offer no arguments for JD because I don't know the guy. But I know Cyclones doesn't either and is just doing his typical character assassination bit.

Nice response. Character assassination. Mine.

You talk about how "everyone but me" (which has been proven untrue) just thinks JD is Jim Dandy and yet offer nothing to support your unequivocal support of him. Gottcha.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Nice response. Character assassination. Mine.

You talk about how "everyone but me" (which has been proven untrue) just thinks JD is Jim Dandy and yet offer nothing to support your unequivocal support of him. Gottcha.
It's more that folks haven't committed to a positive or negative opinion, as opposed to the "well, the blood I want spilled hasn't been spilled yet so clearly I need to blame the next level up" approach to management criticism.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad