Post-Game Talk: Game 13: Canucks 3, Blues 2 in OT - Rest Is For The Weak

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
had bieska been on the ice for that last goal and backes going over to danny sedin, bieska would have gone ******* on that pos.

So damn true, that's why I love that dude everyone watching and everyone on the ice knows he'd be right in there ready to fight anyone. Pathetic display by the Blues at the end.

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
Hopefully this doesn't mean anything (and I doubt it does because two of our strongest games were losses against Montreal and Pittsburgh), but the combined record of the teams we've beaten this year is 22-41-17.

:laugh:

Just for comparison, the combined record of the teams we've lost to is 34-14-2.

Schedule coming up in terms of quality of competition looks to get tougher. We passed this 7 game road trip test with flying colours, the next test is to keep winning against some better competition.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Lot better than last weekend. Canucks show amazing grit and the Lions game was fun. What's happening with the Canucks is running against all logic and reason but hopefully they can sustain this effort. Tortorelli deserves tremendous credit for getting the team off to a good start but you also have to throw some kudos the way of management. Guys they have brought in are doing exceedingly, and in some cases, surprisingly well.

Santorelli has been really good. I don't think anyone could have expected he'd be as strong a player has he has been. Right now the big problem might be re-signing him at a decent price.

Stanton - Gives me a greater sense of security than some of the other d-men. Very good fundamentally. Excellent at moving the puck and then jumping up to support the play. Could see a number of times how when he moves the puck to the wing, and there is a scramble, he moves right up to get the puck out. Good compliment to Bieksa in that he always covers back for Bieksa

Richardson has been also been very useful. Like everyone he had some face off problems in this game but he has done well, especially in his own end, wherever he has been played in the line up.

Welch - remains adequate which exceeds all expectations. Up to over 12 minutes in this one which tells you the team is getting some trust in him. At this point, I'd say he is looking better than players like Malhotra did in the recent past.. Whether he keeps it up is open to question but he has been helpful during the this spate of injuries

Also would agree with the opinion that Pelleteir was decent. In the end showing there may be some depth where most thought there was none.

The only off season acquisition (if you don't see Allwarts as an acquisition) that has not measured up is Weber. However, I think any overall judgment on Weber still has to be made.

Perhaps the most significant development in this game was that Lack was once again solid. Be of huge importance if Lack establishes himself as bona vide NHL material. If nothing else we could trade him for another high draft choice. (maybe to Edmonton):)

Obviously the Sedins and Kesler are playing all world and the defense continues to be strong. Hamhuis, while not perfect, is getting back to being Team Canada consideration material

Would also say that if Bieksa keeps it up he draws in for some consideration as well. Thought it was Bieksa weakest game of the road trip but still he wasn't bad. Tanev also had his weak moments but when you consider the ear and tear on these players he has stood up well. This is where it is too bad that someone like AA or Weber can't spell them off.

Incident with Backes at the end of the game was stupid. To go after Sedin after the way he embellished the hook to get the 5 on 3 was extreme hypocrisy. Seemed like he expected the refs to only call the Canucks and let St. Louis win. Got totally upset when the refs weren't completely one sided on their calls. Backes is starting to remind of Beach. Fights and bullies when he can win but backs off when he thinks he can't.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
Just a fun stat. Stanton and Tanev has only taken one penalty each so far. ONE

so happy to be removed from the shane o'brien and darcy hordichuk era where as a team they'd be guaranteed to kill at least 1-2 dumb penalties per game

part of the discipline might be tortorella, but the guys providing the toughness on this team - kassian, sestito, bieksa, stanton - have been excellent at staying disciplined...the kassian/bieksa penalties were turning points but i'd say that was more a case of poor officiating than poor discipline, a point that tortorella was quite animated about after the game

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
If Jackman and Backes tried that on other teams skill players I wonder what the general reaction would be. Jumping PKane or Kessel or Crosby .....

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Man what a ****ing gutsy effort. Didn't expect them to even be tied at the end of regulation, let alone actually get the 2 points in spite of everything - injuries, fatigue, the reffing - stacked against us. Boys showed real character here and is the kind of game that can bond a team. The most satisfying win of the year by far.

And since when did Backes become such a sore *****? Did Kelly say hi back or something?

YouCantYandleThis*

It was a stupid call. I listen to the post game show frequently and they never suggested Kesler or Daniel aren't going to score again. It was a team 1040 hate call, same as the one right now. This Mike from Langley, every single one of his calls involves him take a shot at the radio guys. There's a whole lot more to call in about tonight than just to chirp Blake and Jeff.

I know it's popular to hate 1040, but it's getting ridiculous. They're not THAT bad. They say some silly things sometimes but they're a helluva lot smarter than a lot of the bozo callers they get. Embarrassing the idiots a so-called hockey town like Vancouver has.

It doesn't help when you have equally reprehensible idiots like those that like to listen to their own voice on team 1040. Blake/Patterson/****ING RINTOUL. All of these so called 'journalists' enjoy cherry-picking stats, making sensationalist stories out of ********, and riling up Canucks fans over the littlest thing a player may have done, depending on how they feel about that player that much.

And yes, Canucks fans are generally morons so they eat this **** up and spew it as their own opinions to any open ear within hearing range.

There are no good sports journalists in Vancouver, and there are very few in Canada. Anyone saying otherwise is kidding themselves.

On a different note, very, very, very, VERY impressive win. I wasn't expecting it at all. Loving everything to do with Torts.

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
Watching the highlights this morning and saw that the second blues goal was scored with help from the blues player in the blues paint.
As Lack moves from one side to the other,his stick gets caught up on the blues player well in the blue paint.
Lack gets turned around and that's the only reason he miffs the second goal

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
What a pleasant surprise that we won. I thought for sure that the Blues would win in OT given the way the 3rd was played; the Canucks were in defend-mode the whole 20 minutes and they looked completely exhausted in doing it. Nice to see them dig deep for the win.

As for the ending...what the heck? I'm going to have to review the PVR again to see what "missed call" Backes had his knickers so thoroughly in a knot over. I can't say I've ever seen anyone look that bonkers going after Daniel Sedin of all people. The refs had seperated them, and then it appears as if Daniel said or did something that made Backes try to get him to go again. Perhaps Daniel has hitherto unexpected chirping abilities?

I liked Garret's little jab he threw in there. "Maybe if Backes showed this kind of energy in the first 40 minutes, they'd have won..." Oh, Garret. Such a homer.

Lack had a really strong game. Was nice to see him get the victory.

Mike Santorelli. The guy was all over the ice. My buddy and I began to joke that he was literally everywhere - Santorelli the ref blows the play dead, Santorelli comes out to drive the zamboni between periods, etc. etc....but seriously, he'd be leading an offensive rush one way and be the first man back the other way. He's hustling like crazy right now and it's resulting in all kinds of good things for him. Hope he can keep it up.

Nice to see Kesler and Daniel both coming to life a bit offensively after some alarming cold streaks. Kesler in particular was really strong down low and along the boards, looked a bit more like his old self. I have no idea how Daniel and Backes ended up with offsetting - and the only - penalties at the end, while Jackman had his gloves off and was punching Kesler. Gimme a break.

Thought the team as a whole did a good job of keeping the Blues to the outside and letting Lack see the shots, or blocking them before they could get to the Stork. Nice team effort.

The fights were not particularly in our favour. Not really sure why Kassian and Sestito decided to dance at their respective points, but it didn't really result in any momentum swings for us.

Thought the new guys looked pretty solid. Nice to see them actually get some minutes as well, and even better, not look completely out of place doing it. Welsh had another solid game; certainly didn't think he'd look like the better acquisition in the Dalpe trade, but lo and behold, he has.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
As for the ending...what the heck? I'm going to have to review the PVR again to see what "missed call" Backes had his knickers so thoroughly in a knot over. I can't say I've ever seen anyone look that bonkers going after Daniel Sedin of all people. The refs had seperated them, and then it appears as if Daniel said or did something that made Backes try to get him to go again. Perhaps Daniel has hitherto unexpected chirping abilities?

Just rewatched the OT portion. At the 30 second mark, Daniel hooked Pietrangelo in the corner and no call was made. Backes seemed to take issue with it since the Blues thought the holding call shouldn't have happened at late in the period, I suppose. Basically, he was being an idiot and a little sour of the loss. Jackman really wanted to goad Kesler into a fight too.

It would never happen, but man. If Daniel socked Backes, I would have laughed so hard.

Ultimately, this was a game I expected to loss, badly - even mentioned to an acquaintance (Blues fan) we suck in back-to-backs. Instead, not only do we pull a convincing game, but both Higgins and especially Kesler are catching fire. Kassian also played his best game of the season despite not potting anything behind the Halak. Certainly cannot complain about last night's. Solid road game; excellent when you consider this was the last on a long trip.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
What a pleasant surprise that we won. I thought for sure that the Blues would win in OT given the way the 3rd was played; the Canucks were in defend-mode the whole 20 minutes and they looked completely exhausted in doing it. Nice to see them dig deep for the win.

I don't think it was a missed call, but rather Daniel "selling" the penalty against him in OT. Was anything said by Backes afterwards in an interview?

Edit: Just saw BE's post and perhaps it was the missed call on Pietro early in OT. Could be a combination. It's funny how each team saw the game so differently. Infractions missed both ways, poor calls made, etc...

I liked Garret's little jab he threw in there. "Maybe if Backes showed this kind of energy in the first 40 minutes, they'd have won..." Oh, Garret. Such a homer.

Mike Santorelli. The guy was all over the ice. My buddy and I began to joke that he was literally everywhere - Santorelli the ref blows the play dead, Santorelli comes out to drive the zamboni between periods, etc. etc....but seriously, he'd be leading an offensive rush one way and be the first man back the other way. He's hustling like crazy right now and it's resulting in all kinds of good things for him. Hope he can keep it up.

Nice to see Kesler and Daniel both coming to life a bit offensively after some alarming cold streaks. Kesler in particular was really strong down low and along the boards, looked a bit more like his old self. I have no idea how Daniel and Backes ended up with offsetting - and the only - penalties at the end, while Jackman had his gloves off and was punching Kesler. Gimme a break.

Thought the team as a whole did a good job of keeping the Blues to the outside and letting Lack see the shots, or blocking them before they could get to the Stork. Nice team effort.

The fights were not particularly in our favour. Not really sure why Kassian and Sestito decided to dance at their respective points, but it didn't really result in any momentum swings for us.

Thought the new guys looked pretty solid. Nice to see them actually get some minutes as well, and even better, not look completely out of place doing it. Welsh had another solid game; certainly didn't think he'd look like the better acquisition in the Dalpe trade, but lo and behold, he has.

I'm still unsure about Welsh. He's looked more useful in a 4th line role than Dalpe has, but that wasn't unexpected. Dalpe's game is not suited for a 4th line - though that may be where ends up when back up here.

Welsh is up and down. He skates well and is ok on faceoffs and generally reading the play. Makes some terrible plays on occasion, like game changing. Is also a work in progress along the boards and distributing the puck. Question is: Does not looking "completely out of place" mean he is a legit NHL 4th liner? Still unsure.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
He's been an adequate fourth line center IMO, and our best option give we don't have the depth to use one of Santorelli, Schroeder or Richardson there.

Big guy, skates reasonably well, isn't a complete tire fire out there.. with the obvious exception of Lapierre that alone makes him one of the top two or three fourth line centres of the Gillis era. You can probably lump the Nonis era in there two.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007

It was shorty...

Oddity

Nov 11, 2011
Kesler from both Sedin's, such a great way to end the game.

It was pretty ridiculous how nicely the refs handed St. Louis the tie...

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
So Läck went after Steen at some point? Anyone who can tell me what happened?

Pretty minor. Lack had the shot controlled and Steen took a late swipe at the puck/pads. Lack gave him a quick swipe with the catcher mitt and then skated away to collect his thoughts.

Betamax*

Hi, welcome to 2013.

Yeah, welcome to 2013.

Kesler is in the here and now at the end of his athletic prime and Jackman is past it.

To suggest that Kesler would want no part of Jackman (i.e. in your words that he would be "wrecked") due to the latter being a badder dude is utterly ridiculous. :shakehead

The reasons to decline getting involved in a needless fight at the end of the game seems to have went over your head.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
What if I told you... that we'd go 5-1-1 on a road trip and win the final game with a forward corps of:

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler
Higgins-Santorelli-Richardson
Sestito-Welsh-Kassian
Archibald-Pelletier-Weber

I'd probably have gotten laughed off HF boards. I had a hard time even typing that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad