Post-Game Talk: GAME 13 - 11-2 - BRUINS 3 St. Louis 1 F

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
You know, that concussion, which still makes me sick to my stomach, could have ended Bergeron's career.

People might also forget that while often acknowledged as the B's best all around player -- which he already was upon sustaining the concussion in 2007 -- Patrice didn't fully emerge as a (quiet) superstar until Boston won the Cup. I'm not sure casual Bruins fans fully appreciated his greatness until then. Of course, he subsequently burnished his sterling reputation with The Comeback against TO in 2013 (full disclosure: I turned the game off before history was made), established a reputation for exceptional toughness in SCF against Chicago (punctured lung, separated shoulder, broken rib, broken nose), and collected a record breaking five (and counting) Frank Selke Awards as the NHL's best all around forward. Bergeron also won two Olympic Gold medals & a World Hockey Championship.

I could be wrong but Bergeron really blossomed as an offensive force, especially as a goal scorer, relatively late in his career. I think he was asked to do this by the coaching staff. And, as always, Patrice delivered.

Got Schottenfreude?

I loved the 2008-09 regular season, wish I could watch it again. Largely because Bergeron made a comeback from that concussion and you could see him gradually come back to form. Bergeron, Krejci the magician, and an underrated gem named Marc Savard who put up 88 points - down the middle.

Bergy's become quite the player since that concussion in 2007.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
You know, that concussion, which still makes me sick to my stomach, could have ended Bergeron's career.

People might also forget that while often acknowledged as the B's best all around player -- which he already was upon sustaining the concussion in 2007 -- Patrice didn't fully emerge as a (quiet) superstar until Boston won the Cup. I'm not sure casual Bruins fans fully appreciated his greatness until then. Of course, he subsequently burnished his sterling reputation with The Comeback against TO in 2013 (full disclosure: I turned the game off before history was made), established a reputation for exceptional toughness in SCF against Chicago (punctured lung, separated shoulder, broken rib, broken nose), and collected a record breaking five (and counting) Frank Selke Awards as the NHL's best all around forward. Bergeron also won two Olympic Gold medals & a World Hockey Championship.

I could be wrong but Bergeron really blossomed as an offensive force, especially as a goal scorer, relatively late in his career. I think he was asked to do this by the coaching staff. And, as always, Patrice delivered.

Got Schottenfreude?

Love that video. The girl in the back left I think is a Bruins fan, or she likes the Leaf misery. When the B's tied it at 4, and then won, she smiled big time.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Good read from Justin Bourne in advance of our next game. flames sound sort of like the anti-Bruins - struggling with chemistry.

Reactions: caz16

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
In terms of what he has meant to the Boston Bruins, he is this century's Bobby Orr. Imagine, if you will, where this franchise would be if not for Patrice Bergeron?

On-ice hero and off-ice ambassador. No other Bruin in the team's 98+ year history - except for Orr - has worn both as well as Bergeron. I was a fan of his from the first time I saw him playing in a #56 Bruins uniform, but I never thought he would become such an iconic figure in Bruins history.

We are blessed to have him here.

How about Ray Bourque?

Reactions: BBruins

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

Got Schottenfreude?

This article was written after the 2007-08 season and tells a little more about what he went through in his recovery from the Jones concussion. Scary, scary stuff. He could easily have a Masterton in his trophy collection.

Reactions: GordonHowe and BMC

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Got Schottenfreude?

The text at the end kills me... haha

Reactions: rfournier103

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
This article was written after the 2007-08 season and tells a little more about what he went through in his recovery from the Jones concussion. Scary, scary stuff. He could easily have a Masterton in his trophy collection.

To my knowledge, though others disagree, I have never suffered brain damage.

I think.

Yet, in 2006, I experienced an echo of concussion symptoms. Always photophobic, I was extremely sensitive to light, so much so that I felt nauseous (and I wasn't even thinking of Harry Sinden or Mike O'Connell). I wore sunglasses in the house, at night, and couldn't read or watch TV. I woke up with a bad headache for about two years.

No fun.

Many tests and eye exams later, no real answer, but gradually, the symptoms went away. I still have to be careful about looking at screens for too long (and adjusting same for brightness, etc.), but grateful that for now, all is well.

Concussions -- one or multiple -- are a scary, scary business.

How much Patrice (and, selfishly) we would have missed out on if Bergeron's career ended with the Jones hit. ("I'm not that kind of player.")

How much did Marc Savard miss out on because of Matt Cooke?

Cooke joked about it.

Reactions: BMC

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
To my knowledge, though others disagree, I have never suffered brain damage.

I think.

Yet, in 2006, I experienced an echo of concussion symptoms. Always photophobic, I was extremely sensitive to light, so much so that I felt nauseous (and I wasn't even thinking of Harry Sinden or Mike O'Connell). I wore sunglasses in the house, at night, and couldn't read or watch TV. I woke up with a bad headache for about two years.

No fun.

Many tests and eye exams later, no real answer, but gradually, the symptoms went away. I still have to be careful about looking at screens for too long (and adjusting same for brightness, etc.), but grateful that for now, all is well.

How much Patrice (and, selfishly) we would have missed out on if Bergeron's career ended with the Jones hit. ("I'm not that kind of player.")

Cooke joked about it.
I still HATE cooke :madfire::madfire::madfire: He was on the ice with Marc lying there with a smug look.

Looch was friends with Savvy and did not like cooke

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
To my knowledge, though others might disagree, I have never suffered brain damage.

I think.

No fun.

I still HATE cooke :madfire::madfire::madfire: He was on the ice with Marc lying there with a smug look.

Looch was friends with Savvy and did not like cooke

Yes. Even then-teammate Bill Guerin rebuked Cooke at the time.

Here's one I have on my wall,

1667967924145.png

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Good question.

I don’t think Bourque has the same on-ice credentials as Bergeron. Never won the Cup here.

And Ray was my favorite player when I was growing up, too.

Ray Bourque is generally considered, at the least, a top 20 player of all-time by the hockey community. In the last rankings by the History of Hockey on this site, Bourque was ranked 10th.

More first team all-star selections (13) than anyone else all-time. Second only to Gordie Howe in total all-star selection (19).

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Yes. Even then-teammate Bill Guerin rebuked Cooke at the time.

Here's one I have on my wall,

View attachment 605404
I remember Looch going after cooke...and cooke was whining to the ref. Looch pretented to cry and went wa wa wa mocking cooke.

I really hated cooke (not just for what he did to Savvy) . I also like when Brad made cooke look stupid. Cooke went at Brad and was too busy trying to intimidate Brad (good luck with that) and Marchy grabbed the puck and scored a beautiful goal. After he taunts cooke. I LOVED it It never gets old.

Last edited:
Reactions: BTO and GordonHowe

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Ray Bourque is generally considered, at the least, a top 20 player of all-time by the hockey community. In the last rankings by the History of Hockey on this site, Bourque was ranked 10th.

More first team all-star selections (13) than anyone else all-time. Second only to Gordie Howe in total all-star selection (19).
I’m as big a Bourque fan as anyone, but the real reason I’d put Bergeron ahead of him is Bergeron’s playoff success.

Patrice Bergeron has a playoff line of: 49-78-127 with 10 game winning goals in 167 games played.

Ray Bourque has a playoff line of: 36-125-161 with 3 game winning goals in 180 games played.
(I did not include Bourque's stats with the Avalanche)

Comparing a defenseman to a forward isn't always easy or fair, especially when emotions get in the way. These are my two favorite Bruins of all time, and it's a tough call. I just cannot ignore Bergeron's TEN (10) game winning playoff goals. I don't have the time right now to break down who they were against, but we both know one was Game 7 vs. Toronto in 2013 and another was the Cup Winning Game 7 Goal in Vancouver. Besides Bobby Orr's iconic OT Cup Winner against St. Louis in a lopsided 4-game sweep, I can't think of two more iconic Bruins playoff goals ever.* Can you?

Bergeron has three Final appearances to date in a Bruins uniform compared to Bourque's two, although if you include Ray's Colorado years, both are 1-2 in the Final. But I just think Bergeron, if you look at the totality of his career, has done more here and won more here. I do think that Bergeron played on better squads than Bourque, but we can't do anything about that. I also admit that I missed the first 8 years of Ray's career prior to really becoming interested in the Bruins, whereas I've seen pretty much all of Patrice's career.

My Bruins Mount Rushmore is: Shore (Washington), Schmidt (Jefferson), Orr (Lincoln), and Bergeron (T. Roosevelt).

I'm a bit of a history buff, and Patrice Bergeron could actually be very aptly compared to Theodore Roosevelt. "Speak softly, and carry a big stick," said TR, once. That's Bergeron in a nutshell.

*I could throw in Nathan Horton's 2011 Game 7 OT winner vs. Montreal. I think that goal is unfairly forgotten by many Bruins fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: GordonHowe and BMC

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA

McAvoy practicing on the first pair, wonder who's going to make the roster calls to free up the cap to activate him while our GM is mired in controversy.

As much horrible stuff as Evander Kane has done in recent years, he still holds a place in my heart for the time he one-punched Matt Cooke
Same, I'll never forget that. That famous shot of him landing the punch was my desktop background for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad