Post-Game Talk: GAME 13 - 11-2 - BRUINS 3 St. Louis 1 F

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
One too many for a Mount Rushmore. Have fun choosing who to drop.

Edit: I know it’s BOBBY ORR but does longevity come into play at some point?

Nobody in team sports ever dominated a position like Bobby Orr. You could argue Babe Ruth's increase in home runs was close, but not really.

1969-1970, when Orr scored 120 points to finish #1 in league scoring, the next defenseman was Vadnais at #53 with 44 points, a little over a third of Orr.

In 1971, Orr was second with 139 points, Tremblay was at #39 with 63, less than half that of Orr.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
In terms of what he has meant to the Boston Bruins, he is this century's Bobby Orr. Imagine, if you will, where this franchise would be if not for Patrice Bergeron?

On-ice hero and off-ice ambassador. No other Bruin in the team's 98+ year history - except for Orr - has worn both as well as Bergeron. I was a fan of his from the first time I saw him playing in a #56 Bruins uniform, but I never thought he would become such an iconic figure in Bruins history.

We are blessed to have him here.

And to think we came so very, very close to losing him to a devastating injury.

Reactions: rfournier103

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Nobody in team sports ever dominated a position like Bobby Orr. You could argue Babe Ruth's increase in home runs was close, but not really.

1969-1970, when Orr scored 120 points to finish #1 in league scoring, the next defenseman was Vadnais at #53 with 44 points, a little over a third of Orr.

In 1971, Orr was second with 139 points, Tremblay was at #39 with 63, less than half that of Orr.

Not only that, Bobby Orr revolutionized the game the way he played it. He was the first all around defenseman, prior to him it was unheard of for a defenseman to handle the puck & score like a #1 forward the way he did.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I dont like Krug and hope he has to watch Bruins lift Cup

tenor.gif

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Reilly reminds me of the guy we all played hockey with,the guy who thinks he is much better than he actually is . Reilly attempts plays that have no chance of succeeding. I’d rather see Ahcan get a chance .
I don't think Reilly is a terrible player but he makes a lot of mistakes and his defensive skills definitely lack compared to his offensive ones. Pretty sure he is simply waived and gone when McAvoy comes back .

Zboril is the guy that is the bigger problem. Continues to make big defensive errors. Has moments, but just doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Hard to argue this. Maybe Sweeney has turned a corner?

Let’s see how he does drafting the Bruins’ next first line center.
More likely he trades all our top picks and prospects away at the deadline for that "one last run".

I sure hope we can win it all this year cause the fall, when it comes, is going to be fast and hard.

Reactions: Tbaybruin

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I think they were booing when Krug was stalled in front of their net waiting for a total line change by STL. More a “come on, stop stalling” kind of thing. It was just that once and didn’t get vibe fans were on Torey.

Jack mentioned that Krug was laughing in front of Bruins bench. Think outside of his tangle with Coyle it was a pretty pro Torey night. As it should be.

Good to hear. One of my favorite B's of recent years.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I can't think of a more motivating factor in April than --- let's win it for Patrice!

He has certainly earned a mountain of respect & good will equity within the NHL, from his teammates, and among our fan base. (If necessary, clear cache to view article.)

“We have a good, healthy competition between us, which helped us through so many years. We’ll keep that going this year.”

Does he still look up to him?

“Yeah,” Krejci said. “Who doesn’t?”

1667937535880.png

Last edited:

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
He has certainly earned a mountain of respect & good will equity within the NHL, his teammates, and our fan base. (If necessary, clear cache to view article.)

“We have a good, healthy competition between us, which helped us through so many years. We’ll keep that going this year.”

Does he still look up to him?

“Yeah,” Krejci said. “Who doesn’t?”

View attachment 605111
I do remember a brief moment in time where I thought Krejci was the superior player. That was 12ish years ago though and I was busy with school and couldn't follow as much. Plus Bergy still recovering from concussions then.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I do remember a brief moment in time where I thought Krejci was the superior player. That was 12ish years ago though and I was busy with school and couldn't follow as much. Plus Bergy still recovering from concussions then.

You know, that concussion, which still makes me sick to my stomach, could have ended Bergeron's career.

People might also forget that while often acknowledged as the B's best all around player -- which he already was upon sustaining the concussion in 2007 -- Patrice didn't fully emerge as a (quiet) superstar until Boston won the Cup. I'm not sure casual Bruins fans fully appreciated his greatness until then. Of course, he subsequently burnished his sterling reputation with The Comeback against TO in 2013 (full disclosure: I turned the game off before history was made), established a reputation for exceptional toughness in SCF against Chicago (punctured lung, separated shoulder, broken rib, broken nose), and collected a record breaking five (and counting) Frank Selke Awards as the NHL's best all around forward. Bergeron also won two Olympic Gold medals & a World Hockey Championship.

I could be wrong but Bergeron really blossomed as an offensive force, especially as a goal scorer, relatively late in his career. I think he was asked to do this by the coaching staff. And, as always, Patrice delivered.

Got Schottenfreude?

Last edited:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Michael Jordan was oretty good to

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY

Based on how they are playing now, and where they will probably finish and draft, it would be absolutely amazing if they were able to draft a #1 center. This has been the problem for a long time. Their first round pick is always in the 20's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad