Post-Game Talk: GAME #12: VAN 5, LAK 3 | 49 SOG, 4 PPGs, BB6 hat trick, and an 8-3-1 October, hot DAMN

Status
Not open for further replies.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
that's a bit chirpy. has he been holding back on us until the team can walk the walk?

maybe hes announcing to the entire league that watch out guys. petterson is gonna dominate real soon. its early but hes getting points. gonna be a dangerous player to contain everynight when he isn't scoring.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Ferland? Leivo? And yes, maybe Virtanen (I've been intrigued for awhile about the idea of playing him on his off wing). Maybe none of those options are ideal but that was the whole point of me saying that Boeser and Pettersson are good enough to figure it out while Miller reinforces the 2nd line.

leivo i could see. ferland didnt work out. hes a straightline player. petey and boeser are a playmaker and a shooter.

Reactions: NuxFan09

Dana Murzyn

Oct 5, 2005
Game report. I was at Staples, 16th row. Tossed my hat for Boeser, but it didn't make it to the ice. Instead, it landed in row two, and the guy who caught it was totally perplexed, like he simply had no idea why there was suddenly a hat in his lap. He was so dumbfounded that I thought maybe I'd made a mistake, so I checked my phone and sure enough the goal was credited to Miller. So I was like, damn, that's a decent hat, and I've just basically given it to a stranger. So I went down to row two and got it back from the dude, who remained at all times confused by the whole exchange.

As I was returning to my seat, a more knowledgeable Kings fan said "That didn't work out very well for you, did it?" and I was like, I dunno, I'm feeling pretty good, thanks. By the time I got back to my seat, the goal had been given to Boeser.

So I got to see a hat-trick, throw my hat, and enjoy a big win. And then I went home in my hat. That concludes my game report.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Fun team to watch. I'm with the wait and see group, if they're doing this in December then I'll believe, but I refuse to get my hopes up based on October alone.

Still not a fan of Leivo's game. Incredible at battling for pucks in the corners but lacks puck skills everywhere else.

Hughes is such a revelation, I can't believe how good he is right out of the gate.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
as much as i love this team, the lack of production from Ferland is alarming

i'd like to see the Canucks upgrade Virtanen or Leivo or Pearson for a winger who's more solidified as a top 6 winger...
Kapanen or someone like that. i want a lock for 20 goals and 50 pts and staple him to Horvats wing

Ferland was supposed to be that guy.
Before this game, Ferland had 5 points in 11, on pace for 37 points across an 82 point season, which is exactly what the team was expecting out of him.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
EP was 8th in the NHL for penalties drawn last year with 34 in 71 games. He is currently 5th. Add how deadly he is on the PP and that is huge value to the team. Reminds me a bit of Couture/Pavelski and the recent era of the Sharks.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
i know what they did in the past but Sven's in Utica and Ferland isn't on pace to match last years production

anyways, i hope someone emerges as a legit top6 winger (in terms of production) for Bo
I'm assuming you know that Ferland was ill during training camp..and yes,..Sven is in Utica.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Game report. I was at Staples, 16th row. Tossed my hat for Boeser, but it didn't make it to the ice. Instead, it landed in row two, and the guy who caught it was totally perplexed, like he simply had no idea why there was suddenly a hat in his lap. He was so dumbfounded that I thought maybe I'd made a mistake, so I checked my phone and sure enough the goal was credited to Miller. So I was like, damn, that's a decent hat, and I've just basically given it to a stranger. So I went down to row two and got it back from the dude, who remained at all times confused by the whole exchange.

As I was returning to my seat, a more knowledgeable Kings fan said "That didn't work out very well for you, did it?" and I was like, I dunno, I'm feeling pretty good, thanks. By the time I got back to my seat, the goal had been given to Boeser.

So I got to see a hat-trick, throw my hat, and enjoy a big win. And then I went home in my hat. That concludes my game report.
Fantastic story! Hahahaha

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Game on Saturday should be fun too..Erik Karlsson has been lass than spectacular.
The Sharks are actually a pretty poor team so far this season. They're 27th in the league in goals for and 29th in goals against. The only reason they're not completely awful is their special teams: they have the 10th ranked PP and #1 PK. 5-on-5 play has not been kind to them though. Marleau is their only plus player (+3 in 9 games), 3 other guys have an even rating, of whom 2 have only played 1 game and one has played 3, and the rest are minus players. Karlsson, Vlasic, Hertl and Labanc are all -11.

Still have to respect their team though. They're not as bad as the stats show. I do think their window has closed, just that they're not push-overs.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
Before this game, Ferland had 5 points in 11, on pace for 37 points across an 82 point season, which is exactly what the team was expecting out of him.
and he seemed to be improving after a pretty lousy start.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Looking at the standings... and you can’t help but notice the Canucks record over their last 10 games happens to be the the....Best in the League!

Neat.

Keep it going now.
The Canucks go as Pettersson goes. Pettersson has 18 points in 10 games after going pointless in the first 2 games. The Canucks have an 8-1-1 record in the last 10 games after going 0-2- in their first 2.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
The Sharks are actually a pretty poor team so far this season. They're 27th in the league in goals for and 29th in goals against. The only reason they're not completely awful is their special teams: they have the 10th ranked PP and #1 PK. 5-on-5 play has not been kind to them though. Marleau is their only plus player (+3 in 9 games), 3 other guys have an even rating, of whom 2 have only played 1 game and one has played 3, and the rest are minus players. Karlsson, Vlasic, Hertl and Labanc are all -11.

Still have to respect their team though. They're not as bad as the stats show. I do think their window has closed, just that they're not push-overs.
I feel bad for Karlsson.

I also really hope he plays 30 minutes against Pettersson.

Reactions: Heavy Pettersson

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Surprised to see when I got home that there wasn’t a game thread for this one. Too bad. It was another fun one to watch! Love seeing Peter playing with some bite! - even if it was directed towards the wrong guy!

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015

Maybe you can do that again with a telestrator!! :)

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
and he seemed to be improving after a pretty lousy start.

October was going to be a complete write-off for him after he got hit with the flu. And that was made evident by his signs of life the past few games.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Man. Only thing that kept this game from being as lopsided as the home opener was that Quick made some eye popping saves. But even when Quick standing on his head, our “team like that” still made the Kings look silly. How do you like them now, Drew Doughty? Also like that Horvat pointed directly to Doughty’s idiotic remarks as a motivating factor in their performance, but also did so in a way that’s typical of his classy nature - said they want to prove to Doughty and to everyone else that they’re a great team.

Your three stars tonight - Boeser, Pettersson and Hughes. Get a good look everyone, the future is now. They were just electric tonight, and watching Pettersson get pissed off and play with some edge reminded me in all the best ways of Pavel Bure. Another pure skill player who would absolutely take numbers and get retribution when he felt he needed to. And then that rocket on the PP...man. Great to see that laser beam again.

Boeser gives us our second Hattie in the opening month, and looked great doing it. I felt like the dam was breaking against Florida - he had a lot of quality shots that were on net (had been narrowly missing before) and buried one late.

What else is there to say about Hughes? His ability on the PP is freakishly good. Walks the line, dishes the puck smoothly, and places his shots so well. He fits like a glove out there.

JT Miller was unlucky not to score in this one. He had a really strong game and was all around their net. Again, if not for Quick, I think the Canucks run up the score again here.

On a different note - I hope Ferland is OK. I feel like he was finally beginning to shake off the rust, and then he gets hurt in a mean-nothing fight with LA’s dancing bear Kyle Clifford.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
If quick didn't play out of his mind on a bunch of those plays, it's conceivable that Miller could have gotten a hat trick as well as Brock. Now THAT's a game. Really enjoyed this one. Petey and Quinn are making me so happy right now, too. Bo looks terrific too. It's starting to really feel like those 5 players have the ability to carry this team to where we need to go -- if they keep playing like they have been. What a team! Love this season so far.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Not much can be said that hasn't been already.

The team is good. For the first time in over 5 years we have a nice balanced lineup. The way Pettersson, Boeser and Hughes were able to control the game was very impressive. Throw in Horvat and Miller who seem to be engines that never stop and this team finally has a top 6 that can compete with most teams in the league.

It's been a long and hard road but we finally have a fun team to follow again.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Playoffs are starting to look like a strong possibility. Say what you will about the soft schedule and relative health, what is indisputable at this point is that we have a pretty decent offense and that can cover for a host of sins, especially in the regular season.

Reactions: Bougieman and MikeK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad