GDT: Game #12 - Oil Spill @ Blue Jackets (Happy Halloween)

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I read about that Corsi rating and it is what it is. Last night Edmonton had an 18-6 edge in shot attempts with him on the ice. Honestly, I throw that out the window because you can be outshot and still outscore your opponent. I wish Milano would be as good as you guys hope, Columbus needs that. But look over his career, in the season he played 55 games, he was getting more ice time and was basically the same player. Its not a matter of ice time, he has to be better when he gets it. He has lately and his time has gone up. He hasn't been good enough for top line time. He doesn't do enough on defence. He has gone almost 30 games without a blocked shot. On a team that has a hard time scoring, they all have to be better with the little things.

Great post and points.

Milano's pts/60 is a very small sample size. If Sonny Milano is truly the CBJ best per minute ES points getter, then the Jackets will be behind Ottawa and Detroit in the standings by midseason.

I still think he should get more minutes than he is, but your points are all valid. Milano isn't ready for prime time minutes. I doubt that he'll ever be.

No blocked shots in 30 games is almost an unbelievable stat. I'll trust that it's true. If it's true, it shows that Milano doesn't have the heart or guts to play the defense required in today's NHL. Blocking shots is part of the job description these days.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
And where is Taresenko, Binnington, O'Reilly and Peron on the CBJ roster? Inserted missing emoji for you:laugh:
Dunno about Tarasenko offhand, but we've had hopes for either of Elvis or Korpi (depending on your current faction), Dubois, and Texier.

No, we don't have any guarantees of Surprise Career Years. Neither did St. Louis, which is most of why it's such a rare story. But it's not as though we're lacking the potential players; it's just less to do with the potential and more to do with how frequently it's realized that dramatically.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Dunno about Tarasenko offhand, but we've had hopes for either of Elvis or Korpi (depending on your current faction), Dubois, and Texier.

No, we don't have any guarantees of Surprise Career Years. Neither did St. Louis, which is most of why it's such a rare story. But it's not as though we're lacking the potential players; it's just less to do with the potential and more to do with how frequently it's realized that dramatically.

I would disagree (strongly) that the talent is here. Barely two first line players (PLD/Cam) and two second line players (Anderson/Nyquist). The CBJ forwards are no more than a bunch of spare parts and marginal talents for the most part. Korpi is a back up (maybe) and Elvis is a who knows. Jones is a good dman. Werenski is a good offensive dman though lacking defensively. The rest of the dmen are mediocre or slightly above average.

Jarmo left the cupboard bare. Torts will pay the price for this.

Last edited:
Reactions: EspenK

Fireball23

Mar 5, 2014
does it really matter?
Great post and points.

Milano's pts/60 is a very small sample size. If Sonny Milano is truly the CBJ best per minute ES points getter, then the Jackets will be behind Ottawa and Detroit in the standings by midseason.

I still think he should get more minutes than he is, but your points are all valid. Milano isn't ready for prime time minutes. I doubt that he'll ever be.

No blocked shots in 30 games is almost an unbelievable stat. I'll trust that it's true. If it's true, it shows that Milano doesn't have the heart or guts to play the defense required in today's NHL. Blocking shots is part of the job description these days.
He has never impressed me at all. Sure a nifty goal but that's about it.

Give me someone with heart and skill.. No wonder he gets sent down or in the doghouse at this level. No blocked shots.. .. sad.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I would disagree (strongly) that the talent is here. Barely two first line players (PLD/Cam) and two second line players (Anderson/Nyquist). The CBJ forwards are no more than a bunch of spare parts and marginal talents for the most part. Korpi is a back up (maybe) and Elvis is a who knows. Jones is a good dman. Werenski is a good offensive dman though lacking defensively. The rest of the dmen are mediocre or slightly above average.

Jarmo left the cupboard bare. Torts will pay the price for this.
I think you're seriously underestimating several of the guys we have, but going further on that would be more nitpicky than productive.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
I think you're seriously underestimating several of the guys we have, but going further on that would be more nitpicky than productive.

This is a very talented team compared to the pre-Jarmo days. This is not a very talented team compared to the rest of the NHL.

What I have watched so far this season is a team that has to play almost perfect hockey to win games and when they do make a mistake the puck usually ends up in their own net.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Artemi Panarin and Brad Marchand each have one blocked shot.
https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/colum...ort=11&time=0&pos=0&team=0&qual=0&sortOrder=0

Panarin and Marchand don't have to block shots. Actually, you don't want them to. The risk of losing offense from them through injury far exceeds the benefit of them blocking shots.

Mr. Milano has not yet achieved their status. Zero blocked shots over 30 games is a disgraceful stat. Makes his lack of TOI perfectly understandable.

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
And where is Taresenko, Binnington, O'Reilly and Peron on the CBJ roster? Inserted missing emoji for you:laugh:

So you're saying we would need to have a 33 goal scorer, we would need to pluck a keeper out of the AHL/ECHL, we would need to trade some cap dumps to Buffalo for a low end #1C, and we would need to nab a bargain UFA winger? That sounds doable actually. I don't think it would make us a top tier contender, just as I question whether St. Louis would be, but their roster isn't that much better than ours. I think we have the guys to score goals if the playmaking department shapes up.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/colum...ort=11&time=0&pos=0&team=0&qual=0&sortOrder=0

Panarin and Marchand don't have to block shots. Actually, you don't want them to. The risk of losing offense from them through injury far exceeds the benefit of them blocking shots.

Mr. Milano has not yet achieved their status. Zero blocked shots over 30 games is a disgraceful stat. Makes his lack of TOI perfectly understandable.
That’s utterly bs . I don’t want Texier , Milano , Bjorkstrand , Nyquist blocking shots , that’s why we have Boone, Anderson , Foligno, Nash , Hanikinen type players , plus our defenders to block shots . You want your highly skilled guys to be responsible yes, but also ready to transition for a 2 on 1 or breakout similar to what Milano was able to do on his bring your out of your seat shot . This Torts mentality that every player needs to play a Pld style game to earn minutes is why Bjorkstrand disappeared under Torts for almost 2 years, why Karlsson wasn’t able to be a #1 C the moment he left Torts and this team, and able to score 50 g 2 years ago . He was a checker that focused on what your calling for here . Why Dzingel was benched here and has 3g and 5a for 8 points in 12 games to start the season for Carolina . Anthony Duclair has started out season with 4 g and 1 a in 11g .

Reactions: DarkandStormy

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
That’s utterly bs . I don’t want Texier , Milano , Bjorkstrand , Nyquist blocking shots , that’s why we have Boone, Anderson , Foligno, Nash , Hanikinen type players , plus our defenders to block shots . You want your highly skilled guys to be responsible yes, but also ready to transition for a 2 on 1 or breakout similar to what Milano was able to do on his bring your out of your seat shot . This Torts mentality that every player needs to play a Pld style game to earn minutes is why Bjorkstrand disappeared under Torts for almost 2 years, why Karlsson wasn’t able to be a #1 C the moment he left Torts and this team, and able to score 50 g 2 years ago . He was a checker that focused on what your calling for here . Why Dzingel was benched here and has 3g and 5a for 8 points in 12 games to start the season for Carolina . Anthony Duclair has started out season with 4 g and 1 a in 11g .

If zero blocked shots over 24 games doesn't raise a red flag about defensive willingness/intensity, then I don't know what to say to you.

This team is offensively challenged. I'm for giving Milano more minutes. But I fully understand why the coaching staff is unwilling to forgive his lack defensive effort and restrict his minutes accordingly.

You're directing your disgust to the wrong target. The one responsible for this mess of a team isn't on the bench during games.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I went back and looked, its been 24 games. People have been throwing out stats as to why or why not he isn't getting more minutes. All I have been saying is he has to play better, and he has been of late and his minutes are creeping up. I am not a coach or an expert, but I am basing my arguement on having seen him play every home game in Cleveland and seeing little improvement. Yes, he has skill, but he lacks defensively as much as he has skill on offence. Unlees you are putting up solid numbers offensively, you have to play good defensively and not be a liability. He got plenty of minutes and pp time in Cleveland against lesser talent, and was a middle of the road player. Right or wrong, when I watch him in the nhl, he is the same guy we had in Cleveland, he'll give you a highlight reel goal here and there, but mediocre play most of the time. I'll stick by what I have been saying, minus stats, he has to play better in the time he gets to earn more. He does that and he will be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad