Game #12 : Kings vs. Oilers - 10/27/13 - Shootout Win! 2-1

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
And theya re going to do what exactly? We have been playing better and better as the season has gone on and are coming off a very good game while running our record to 8-4. Why make changes right now?

You tell me. You are the one touting the "the coach's/DL didn't think those kids were good enough, that's why they were sent back to Manchester" in the recall thread, obviously those same decision makers think something could be improved now that we are hearing that more than likely Pearson will be brought back.

My argument is still that we are too weak on the left side and on the 3rd line, changes could be made to try and fix that. I do know that we can't keep getting absolutely zero offensive production from the 3rd line like we have been for a long time now

Last edited:

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Agreed. Don't understand how giving up 1 goal on 48 shots doesn't earn you a first star.

I think Quick agreed by not showing up for the parade after the game.

I thought that too, the camera was sitting there waiting for quick to come out but he didn't show. Probably a classy move. Both netminders had a good game but bachman was far busier.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Am I the only one who thinks these shoot out wins are gonna come back and bite us in the a** at the end. And is it just me or how come these few wins lately just dont feel as satisfying.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Am I the only one who thinks these shoot out wins are gonna come back and bite us in the a** at the end. And is it just me or how come these few wins lately just dont feel as satisfying.

How? They earned two points. It's not like they'll be fighting with the Oilers for a playoff spot. They thoroughly outplayed the Oilers. The only thing not working for them was their incompetent powerplay. It's not like they've been outplayed by their opponents of late.

They weren't outplayed by Phoenix. They weren't outplayed by Calgary. Same with the Ottawa game. The first three games the Kings didn't look good, since then they've been significantly better, and there is still tons of room for improvement. Lot of individuals (like Brown) who have yet to show some consistency for a stretch of games.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
It was great!!! Everything I hoped for!!! Only downside was getting the cheese sauce out of my beard from the stacked grilled cheese burger...

Oh right post game thread.... Kings got 2 points!!! Seriously... 48 shots 1 goal, (1 goalie interference), beat the crap out of the Oilers physically... and shoot out win... FFS!!!!

Kingsfan going on about where's the doom and gloom'rs!!!! Well it's great getting 2 points and not losing in the last few mins, (Flames)... Dominating teams and letting them hang around isn't going to go well in the playoffs.... Kings need to be putting teams away. 48 shots and 1 goal... Maybe we should bring some kids up with some better shots?(Fraser,Lewis,Stoll,Clifford,Nolan,Carcillo) I know TT can't find the back of the net in the NHL (sarcasm)... Kings did just put up 7 against Mike Smith, but D.King isn't getting a hat trick every night.

Just hope we are 1 game closer to one or more of the kids coming up. Wait Fraser's got like 4min a game last 2 games.... If the Kings aren't going to have 4th line that they put on the ice for any amount of time why not just run Pearson/Vey/TT for 4 mins a game? Seriously... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Fraser and Nolan getting three and a half minutes against one of the worst teams in the NHL is pretty telling. We are basically icing one line that can't score and one line that can't get on the ice

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
I just realized that Jeff Carter has played 76 regular season games for the Kings, and has scored 37 goals and has 51 points thus far in his Kings regular season career. If we were to pro-rate that right now, he would be on pace for exactly 40 goals.

It is mind boggling to me that he has actually maintained a 40 goal per 82 game pace throughout his time here, under our system, and without a second line left wing... It's been a long long time since we've have a goal scorer of that caliber. Just amazing.

interesting point. usually our players leave our team and become scoring machines. it's interesting how carter was able to keep his touch. wonder what's the difference.

maybe he's not drawing the best defenders anymore?

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Fraser and Nolan getting three and a half minutes against one of the worst teams in the NHL is pretty telling. We are basically icing one line that can't score and one line that can't get on the ice

Forgot... Brown/Stoll/Lewis... it's just too funny.... at first it's like that's got to be one of the most annoying lines to play against... You got Stoll the black hole of offense, (Schwarzschild radius extends up to the press boxes)... once that's been dealt with you have Brown trying to take your head off and oh yeah Lewis is coming for you like that guys dog that relentlessly tries to ... yeah you get the idea....

After laughing for a while they get the puck and you see Brown/Stoll/Lewis switch to offense.... then it's a different kind of funny... the closer they get to the goal the more sadness it causes...

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

It's October. Take the wins and points, and worry about the other stuff later if it matters.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA

The Kings have won 7 of 9. It's not how you win, it's that you win. :)

I agree with you that the Kings are significantly outplaying their opponents for long stretches of these games where the score should be more lopsided than it is. They just can't finish, but they are improving and certainly playing well enough to have won 8 of 9. Still, 7 of 9 when you can't finish is pretty damn good.

Sharks OTOH have NO problem finishing. It's not going to be a test as much as a schooling on how to finish on Wednesday.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
How? They earned two points. It's not like they'll be fighting with the Oilers for a playoff spot. They thoroughly outplayed the Oilers. The only thing not working for them was their incompetent powerplay. It's not like they've been outplayed by their opponents of late.

They weren't outplayed by Phoenix. They weren't outplayed by Calgary. Same with the Ottawa game. The first three games the Kings didn't look good, since then they've been significantly better, and there is still tons of room for improvement. Lot of individuals (like Brown) who have yet to show some consistency for a stretch of games.

This. Two points is two points, I'd be more worried if we were hanging on by a thread. ROW is a tiebreaker, but let's cross that bridge when we get there.

It was great!!! Everything I hoped for!!! Only downside was getting the cheese sauce out of my beard from the stacked grilled cheese burger...

Oh right post game thread.... Kings got 2 points!!! Seriously... 48 shots 1 goal, (1 goalie interference), beat the crap out of the Oilers physically... and shoot out win... FFS!!!!

Kingsfan going on about where's the doom and gloom'rs!!!! Well it's great getting 2 points and not losing in the last few mins, (Flames)... Dominating teams and letting them hang around isn't going to go well in the playoffs.... Kings need to be putting teams away. 48 shots and 1 goal... Maybe we should bring some kids up with some better shots?(Fraser,Lewis,Stoll,Clifford,Nolan,Carcillo) I know TT can't find the back of the net in the NHL (sarcasm)... Kings did just put up 7 against Mike Smith, but D.King isn't getting a hat trick every night.

Just hope we are 1 game closer to one or more of the kids coming up. Wait Fraser's got like 4min a game last 2 games.... If the Kings aren't going to have 4th line that they put on the ice for any amount of time why not just run Pearson/Vey/TT for 4 mins a game? Seriously... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sometimes, the goalie you're playing against just plays well and there's nothing really to fix. There are more factors in the score than our team's play. Although I think last night we could have stood to be less cute and just gotten more to the net, but I think you started seeing that towards the end.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
This. Two points is two points, I'd be more worried if we were hanging on by a thread. ROW is a tiebreaker, but let's cross that bridge when we get there.

Sometimes, the goalie you're playing against just plays well and there's nothing really to fix. There are more factors in the score than our team's play. Although I think last night we could have stood to be less cute and just gotten more to the net, but I think you started seeing that towards the end.

100% agree.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted by TonySCV
The Kings have won 7 of 9. It's not how you win, it's that you win.

I agree with you that the Kings are significantly outplaying their opponents for long stretches of these games where the score should be more lopsided than it is. They just can't finish, but they are improving and certainly playing well enough to have won 8 of 9. Still, 7 of 9 when you can't finish is pretty damn good

It is a good sign that like a train, they started off slow and then began chugging along and are working up to full speed. They have been outplaying their oppoponts for the most part for large parts of the game. And their puck possession numbers are high, which is good. They need to tighten up in their own, esp vs quality teams.

I stillt think they need a change on the bottom 6 and more goals from that area, esp the 3rd line.

And the lack of PP goals or even quality chances , since they reverted back to not using a #1 unit, is hurting them. At the start of the year, when they were using Kopi, Brown, Carter with DD and MR at the point, they had more success. Since Sutter now preferes throwing the 1st line out and then the 2nd, it has sliipped badly.
I don't like not using an established PP unit. They know how to set it up, MR esp when he's on the point , is great at QB'ing back there, Carter or Brown screens...either the fake pass or slapper.
The more they do that, the better they get/produce.
Yet he stopped using it...

And RR still looks slow and out of sync on too many shifts.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Very dominate performance puck procession wise for LA. I was worried that Edmonton was going to steal one, and thought that Yak was going to score in OT again. **** him.
Here's hoping that we play this dominate against the yotes tomorrow, but bury more and chase Smith from the net. F him too.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
It is a good sign that like a train, they started off slow and then began chugging along and are working up to full speed. They have been outplaying their oppoponts for the most part for large parts of the game. And their puck possession numbers are high, which is good. They need to tighten up in their own, esp vs quality teams.

I stillt think they need a change on the bottom 6 and more goals from that area, esp the 3rd line.

And the lack of PP goals or even quality chances , since they reverted back to not using a #1 unit, is hurting them. At the start of the year, when they were using Kopi, Brown, Carter with DD and MR at the point, they had more success. Since Sutter now preferes throwing the 1st line out and then the 2nd, it has sliipped badly.
I don't like not using an established PP unit. They know how to set it up, MR esp when he's on the point , is great at QB'ing back there, Carter or Brown screens...either the fake pass or slapper.
The more they do that, the better they get/produce.
Yet he stopped using it...

And RR still looks slow and out of sync on too many shifts.

I thought RR actually looked pretty good last night. Haven't been able to say that too much or too loudly, but last night I think he showed up.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Someone who should be in our lineup.

Yeah, I went there.

He will be very soon. He didn't have a particularly good camp and the Kings figured out pretty quick that he's not a LW. I would take him any day of the week over Frattin right now.

BTW, who is that chick in your avatar?

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

Too many penalties on both sides last night and then Nolan went off for 5 as well. They aren't going to play much when there is a PP/PK every two minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad