GDT: Game 12: Columbus vs. Carolina | 11/4 7PM EST

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Hey guys, remember when the Jackets' motto was "we will not be outworked"? Well, just look at the effort level of the Jackets the last few games.
Besides the final 2 minutes of the 1st period, and the last 5 minutes of the 3rd, this was easily the most pathetic game I've ever seen the Jackets play. Injuries aren't an excuse. Especially last night after Boone and Calvert returned.
You would think that with all the guys that are injured, the ones that are playing, and the ones that get an opportunity to play a bigger role would step up, but nope. That has not even come close to happening. The Jackets were outworked last night, and it was an utter disappointment that I took time out of my day to watch a team that played maybe 7 or 8 minutes ( at the most ) of decent hockey. The fans that showed up to the game last night deserve a refund.
It's kinda sad in a way. The fans have been showing up and filling the arena, and backing this team 100%, and yet, the team continues with this lackluster effort. Pathetic.

The last couple of years, even if the top two lines came out flat, the bottom two lines could be counted on for a jump in any zone. And that was whether it was a rookie just trying to break in or a veteran trying to find his way.

The same hasn't happened this year. And I'd speculate that a big part of that has been that the core guy on the bottom six the last few years is currently in Florida, drawing rave reviews for his energy and smart play (even if limited in the skill department).

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The last couple of years, even if the top two lines came out flat, the bottom two lines could be counted on for a jump in any zone. And that was whether it was a rookie just trying to break in or a veteran trying to find his way.

The same hasn't happened this year. And I'd speculate that a big part of that has been that the core guy on the bottom six the last few years is currently in Florida, drawing rave reviews for his energy and smart play (even if limited in the skill department).

Not to mention most of the guys who should be in the bottom 6, are playing in the top 6.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Giving away Gabby for the Kings trash (and paying the rest of his salary to boot) shook my trust in Jarmo. Epic fail of a trade that was.

The lack of support he has given the team so far only adds to my distrust.

He has 1 assist in 5 games with the Kings and was hurt for over 2 weeks. Not sure how he would have helped us at 7 million a clip

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
The only place I differ with you in your analysis is Jarmo sitting on his ass. You don't overcome the injuries the Jackets have suffered by signing AHL/KHL or even remaining NHL free agents. And there is nothing to trade and no team willing at this point to give up a top 6 F or top 4 D for anything less than a kings ransom.

You're right, you don't overcome these injuries that way; you don't overcome these injuries at all. But you do try to do something more than going back to the farm over and over again. The farm can only help out so far.

Jarmo is most assuredly sitting on his ass. There's of course no magic bullet out there to fix things, but if we're built on hard work and effort, it'd be nice to see the GM display those things, too. Show a pulse, Jarmo.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Do you really have to get a Boll comment in on everything? No one, other than you, is talking about Boll.

I was talking about the lack of defense and how it wasn't a serious topic over the summer, and pointing out that far too much time is spent blaming a player that plays 5 minutes a game...

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Still brooding over that game last night. Anxiously awaiting the JJ suspension announcement. I thought maybe I was a little hard on the guy last night, but the more I think about it he deserves all the vitriol anyone throws at him. He's just not good. Think of the soft goal Curtis let in: If JJ had any awareness at all on the ice that goal would never have happened. Always trying to be cute and go play forward...can't even get past the blueline. This is where the awareness part comes in...A good defenseman would have said "hmm, maybe I should play smarter, Wennberg is playing the other point. If I turn it over, with Curtis in the net, it's a sure goal."

To me, he's a selfish, bad hockey player. -11 is an absolute joke. It's not even Mid-NOVEMBER yet. How he still has a letter on his jersey is beyond me. Obviously I'm not in the room, but he seems so complacent, like he needs someone to light a fire under his ass to get on board himself, that's not poor leadership...it's non-existent leadership.

Please just get rid of the guy, we need self-motivators on this team, not guys who need the Olympics to motivate them to play hard. I thought Jack was awesome in the playoffs last season, to see how his play has deteriorated in just 6 months brings into question not only his leadership, but also whether or not he even wants this team to win games. After last night, all bets are off with this guy.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
You're right, you don't overcome these injuries that way; you don't overcome these injuries at all. But you do try to do something more than going back to the farm over and over again. The farm can only help out so far.

Jarmo is most assuredly sitting on his ass. There's of course no magic bullet out there to fix things, but if we're built on hard work and effort, it'd be nice to see the GM display those things, too. Show a pulse, Jarmo.

Same question as in the other thread- What exactly would you have him do?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Same question as in the other thread- What exactly would you have him do?

As I said in another thread, sign Penner.

(and before the usual suspects show up - no, i have no idea what has and hasn't been done behind the scenes and whether this option has been explored. this is simple message board speculation/hopes/dreams)

major major

Feb 18, 2013
A few thoughts:

I would have benched JJ if he wasn't suspended. Sadly he's a "big game player" in the sense that he doesn't show up for months at a time. You have to wake that kind of guy up with a benching sometimes. Though the Faulk goal wasn't really his fault. In our system (or most any system nowadays) d-men should make zone entries when they have a chance. The forward covers, but Wennberg was a bit late there.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of St. Denis. He's a confident puckmover, and he's not passing off to his d-partner just because he's a call up.

This game was mostly bad unfocused passing when we were out of scoring areas, and then no one was shooting or driving the net (except Foligno) when they had a chance. We were treating Ward like he was the re-incarnation of Dominik Hasek. He's not. Drive the net. Foligno's thoughts were exactly right about this game: We're not throwing it on net and clawing for rebounds, which is where our goals mostly come from.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00