GDT: Game #12 Columbus Blue Jackets @ San Jose SHARKS 11/3/15 7:30pm PST CSNCa

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
Brown fought someone, don't understand how we lost with all that energy he brought.

Last edited:

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Brown was not the problem last night

Tierney, Wingels and Lerg all being less effective than Brown was a problem

Nieto was looking studly in the defensive end, but he didn't have any help last night

Also, Dillion was pretty damn bad last night, as was Burns

Martin, Vlasic and Braun are carrying the defense, and Tennyson is taking care of his responsibilities

Jones cheats off the posts, it's incredibly obvious and it seems the book on him is already out amongst NHL teams

Pick your corner or fake laterally and shoot short side, goal

Last edited:

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
This team needs a kick in the ass. Just looked sloppy today.

This! About 180 degrees from how they looked the first couple of games.
I could handle the play if they were at least consistent but not knowing which team is going to show up on any given night is frustrating as hell...

Me likey the throwback sweaters!

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Really starting to get nervous that our 1st wasn't lottery protected.

Don't worry, with McJesus out long term, we all know Edmonton will win lottery pick.

I was always concerned about that pick not being lottery protected. There are three lottery picks this year (top three picks) and we were never close to a lock for making the playoffs. (If we're out of the playoffs, we are eligible to win any of those top three picks.) Obviously, I was never involved in the negotiations but I've never understood why it wasn't.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
I actually think Brown does well in his role.

Gather the pitchforks...

He does but he should not be playing every game which is happening because of the injuries. His career high is 75 games on a bad 09-10 Ducks team. Is is right around 40-50 games per season and has already played 12 this year.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
This! About 180 degrees from how they looked the first couple of games.
I could handle the play if they were at least consistent but not knowing which team is going to show up on any given night is frustrating as hell...

Me likey the throwback sweaters!

I don't know man... In the areas they have been bad, they have been consistently bad. In the areas they have been good they have been consistently good. I don't think consistency is a problem.

It could be overall strategy or it could be a lack of ability. A kick in the ass will do dittily squat.

Western Bias: Last game Tennyson played nine minutes. You might think he handled his responsibilities, because he wasn't really given much of any.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I get that the bottom pair is sheltered and it's because it needs to be, that's just smart coaching

They're not playing big minutes and Dillon is floundering while Tennyson is doing fine, he's doing what's asked of him and I don't expect much more of him

The team actually has a fairly decent top-4 so the coach is riding them, it's not a bad idea

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I get that the bottom pair is sheltered and it's because it needs to be, that's just smart coaching

They're not playing big minutes and Dillon is floundering while Tennyson is doing fine, he's doing what's asked of him and I don't expect much more of him

The team actually has a fairly decent top-4 so the coach is riding them, it's not a bad idea

They're riding Dillon and Martin about equally. (18:39 min vs 19:00). Maybe Martin isn't 100% yet.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I did notice they were switching pairing up toward the end of some recent games

Seeing things like Vlasic-Tennyson, Dillon-Burns, Dillon-Braun, Vlasic-Burns make brief appearances

Martin has been noticeably absent from these 'alternate' pairings, maybe they are trying to keep his minutes down, he is 34

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

Seeing things like Vlasic-Tennyson, Dillon-Burns, Dillon-Braun, Vlasic-Burns make brief appearances

Martin has been noticeably absent from these 'alternate' pairings, maybe they are trying to keep his minutes down, he is 34

Which is why we are going to deeply regret that contract within a few years. Martin has played well, and that's great, but that contract is going to be an anchor pretty quick.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I definitely worry about the late years of his contract, 4 years is a long time

Dillon also has even longer term eating a up a sizable portion of cap-space, if he doesn't turn things around that could be a pretty bad one

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
They're riding Dillon and Martin about equally. (18:39 min vs 19:00). Maybe Martin isn't 100% yet.

the thought crossed my mind, he's been playing like he did late in the nj game where he was hurt.

I saw martin-dillon out there for several shifts. it ... wasn't a complete disaster.

Dillon also has even longer term eating a up a sizable portion of cap-space, if he doesn't turn things around that could be a pretty bad one

that dillon contract is looking pretty awful right now. 5 years ... oy

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

Which is why i wanted him traded immediately, before his value drops any further and we cannot move him. Unlike Burns he brings nothing to the team. He's worthless offensively and a complete mess defensively. If you want to discuss liabilities, it's Dillon more than anyone. The guy does nothing well.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
the thought crossed my mind, he's been playing like he did late in the nj game where he was hurt.

That's what I think, too. His TOI isn't down much (before the injury it was usually around 21 min except for the 30 min NJ game) but his play has looked like late in the NJ game to me. I wasn't a fan of the 4-year contract for Martin but he's probably good for two or three years at least and he seems like a great locker room guy for the kids if we go full rebuild. DW probably had to give him four years in order to sign him.

I wasn't a fan of the 5-year contract for Dillon either. Even if he turns it around, I don't like those kinds of contracts for players who still haven't proven much.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Brown was not the problem last night

Tierney, Wingels and Lerg all being less effective than Brown was a problem

Nieto was looking studly in the defensive end, but he didn't have any help last night

Also, Dillion was pretty damn bad last night, as was Burns

The problem is the bottom-6, that will get solved once Karlsson and Couture. The defense is good enough (don't read that as great), they are merely getting sunk by poor play by the bottom-6. I really hate having a "wait and see" attitude when we are leaving points on the table, but when we are missing two top-9 forwards, the team is going to suffer.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
The problem is the bottom-6, that will get solved once Karlsson and Couture. The defense is good enough (don't read that as great), they are merely getting sunk by poor play by the bottom-6. I really hate having a "wait and see" attitude when we are leaving points on the table, but when we are missing two top-9 forwards, the team is going to suffer.

I agree that the problem has mostly been the bottom six. However, unless the other players step it up (esp Wingels and Nieto but that's primarily bc I have higher expectations of them), I'm not sure adding Hertl and Karlsson (or Donskoi) fixes it. I think Hertl is a good center but I don't think he's good enough to carry a line. (Someone, I think PF, said it in the "Not Working" thread.) Tierney can also be a very good bottom 6 center but he's not good enough to carry a line either. Unless the wingers on those lines step up, we'll still be in trouble IMO.

I agree that we need to wait until Karlsson and Couture are back but, even in the Pacific, it may be too late by then, especially if they don't return quickly and we don't turn it around immediately once they get back. I'm not sure what else DeBoer (or DW) can do except try different call ups from the AHL and work on special teams.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
I agree that the problem has mostly been the bottom six. However, unless the other players step it up (esp Wingels and Nieto but that's primarily bc I have higher expectations of them), I'm not sure adding Hertl and Karlsson (or Donskoi) fixes it. I think Hertl is a good center but I don't think he's good enough to carry a line. (Someone, I think PF, said it in the "Not Working" thread.) Tierney can also be a very good bottom 6 center but he's not good enough to carry a line either. Unless the wingers on those lines step up, we'll still be in trouble IMO.

I agree that we need to wait until Karlsson and Couture are back but, even in the Pacific, it may be too late by then, especially if they don't return quickly and we don't turn it around immediately once they get back.

Part of the issue is Donskoi isn't a good fit with the Joes, he may be better on the 3rd or 4th line. That line need someone who is good without the puck, not someone who wants to play with it. Also, Tierney is really struggling right now as a 3rd line center, and I'm afraid that Wingels bad play from last season isn't an aberration. Finally, a 4th line running both Lerg and/or Brown every night is simply not good enough. The 4th line matters with DeBoer, he is a coach who wants to roll 4 lines.

The other issue is the PK, I have no idea how to solve that. It doesn't help that the reffing has not been great in the last few games, but the team needs to be good enough to overcome that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad