Post-Game Talk: Game 11: Penalty Killing Moon | Blackhawks vs. Avalanche | 11/3/16 7:30 p.m. (CSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
My only concern is the amount of shots this team is giving up.

Same. But we've been so spoiled with the Hawks teams of the recent years who outshoot every opponent. But hey.. Crow seems to like it. I think they'll get better as rhe season goes on.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Another case of the Good The Bad and the Ugly..

GOOD:

. actually GREAT...CC...he out-Varlamoved Varlamov and now the Avs know how it feels to win the shots and scoring chances by a wide margin but hit a "Wall" in net.

Also Good...Panarin really wanted tge puck tonight and was really tracking loose pucks. ..winning battles..and shining ...

Hossa...and so Good. .vintage finishing..His Shot has come back from the Dead ths year.

RASMUSSEN ...ALSO GOOD...good clears...good odd back-check and forecheck.

NOT QUITE GOOD BUT A BIT BETTER ....Toews ...who goes from F play to about a C minus. ..Had a few Good shifts..won more puck battles and races..a bit more speed and hustle..but then also sone fade shifts and bad shifts of lazy no hustle play. .so better but still some bad ..so up and down ..still not the "A" game inspiration of determination we expect for an entire 60 efgort.

BAD... team letting Avs get so many quality chances on CC.. Gotta protect him.better..and requires all buying I for a full 60 ..not just some shifts fine and others a Chinese fire drill horror shoe or letting guys break in for grade A chances..

UGLY ...long stretches of being hemmed in our own zone...like tgey cannot sustain focus and effort when tge Avs pushed harder...have to push back just as hard to neutralize that.

Overall ..CC bails team out again and it masks a lot of still festering flaws..

You cannot sustain such smoke and mirror victories very lo g without fixing these problems. THE TEAM has got to learn that 60 means 60 and you cannot go from A and B effort level down to an F surrender the zone and let CC save us level of play ...because eventual he will not hold up under barrage of tough grade A scoring chances.

But for now ..it is what it is..a mess sustained by some great offensive finishing and a Wall in net.

There are positives ..but not enough until both T and K find their top level and both go on a "misdion" for
Most of the game not just a few shifts here and there.

ALSO We need our d-corps to score some point t shots and lead more attacks into tge o-zone ..

And they must cut down on ugly give-aways and failed clears ...

But ..take the points..be happy tge hockey gods are blessing Crawford wuth Wall status ..And given the evidence ...Carey Price may not be tge best goalie on tge planet..cause I doubt he coukd have done better than CC faciing this kind of a barrage of grade A scoring chances ...Price would have sureebderedca few..CC was that much a Wall and willed that no pucks were going to get past him ..If there was a test of Greatness...this was it.IF only Toews and Kane could emulate that efgort in their games over 60...

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Only caught bits on a stream that sucked but listened to the game on WGN radio. Sounded like Hossa and Crow were the two best players.

It seem the team has settled in a bit.

Was Hammer paired with Forsling? seemed to hear them on the ice together quite a bit.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Only caught bits on a stream that sucked but listened to the game on WGN radio. Sounded like Hossa and Crow were the two best players.

It seem the team has settled in a bit.

Was Hammer paired with Forsling? seemed to hear them on the ice together quite a bit.

It seemed to switch once in a while, but defensively it was mostly:
* Keith - Soupy
* Seabrook - Kempny
* Hammer - Forsling

Kempy played really well on the PK. He had a real good first period. Played pretty well ... except he got sloppy as the game progressed.

Hossa, Panarin, and Crow played really well.

The PK was awesome. The power play can move the puck, but we can't seem to finish. We need to have our shots to hit the net more. It always seems to be blocked ... which doesn't lead to second chance opportunities.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Went to the game tonight and sat in the 6th row to cap off the best sports week of my life. World Series tickets, 2 Hawks games attended and a WS championship party.

Anyways, man I don't know how I'll ever sit in the 300s again. The game makes so much sense so close. Watching Kane run a PP while being able to see his eyes is something else.

Motte is a bona fide player, Forsling is really struggling which I'm fine with. Kempny looks rock solid. To see the real veterans on this team compares to the new guys... it's a stark difference. Other than Motte, Kempny, and Rasmussen those guys are really deer in the headlights. That's OK, it'll take some time.

Crawford is absolutely locked in. He is tracking the puck so well and is in phenomenal position challenging shooters.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
For the most part, a very good game. But we really need to come out stronger. I don't know why we sleep walk through the early part of the game. It puts a lot of pressure on Crow. Fortunately, Crow is on FIRE. He's just so well positioned for every shot. And he always seems to steer the rebounds to benign areas.

Defense is coming along. The young guys still make mistakes but they should be prepared for the post season with more experience. Soupy was a great signing. But our older guys need to do a better job getting the puck on net. Stop finding bodies.

Hossa is finishing with Parnarin. His overall game has always been great. But if he starts scoring goals again ... wow!

Kane and Panarin are still magic. They're too good to split up. They were on the ice at even strength for only a short time and scored. Simply amazing.

Schmaltz needs to be more aggressive. The kid has skills but he needs to understand that NHL defensemen are far better than college players. He needs more time to develop before handling the puck like Kane. At least he can't play Harlem Globetrotters with Hartman and Tootoo.

Motte's a keeper. This kid has skills. He could become another version of Sergei Krivokrasov who can actually finish.

Moose and Hartman will be very good bottom six forwards in time. They can really grind. But they need time to mature.

Toews still creates chances. I think he gets better as the season progresses AND the post season nears. As he gets older, he might be playing smarter. He might be pacing himself. I see the old Toews in short bursts. It's still there.

Last edited:

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
It seemed to switch once in a while, but defensively it was mostly:
* Keith - Soupy
* Seabrook - Kempny
* Hammer - Forsling

Kempy played really well on the PK. He had a real good first period. Played pretty well ... except he got sloppy as the game progressed.

Hossa, Panarin, and Crow played really well.

The PK was awesome. The power play can move the puck, but we can't seem to finish. We need to have our shots to hit the net more. It always seems to be blocked ... which doesn't lead to second chance opportunities.

thanks

I like those D pairings

Piffle

Oct 31, 2007
Keith and Soupy complement each other surprisingly well. I really like the way they drive offense together.

Really not a fan of Schmaltz. I know I'm in the minority there, but I'm concerned he's going to bust. He has some good skills, but also long stretches of laziness and a lot of bad decision making.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
Keith and Soupy complement each other surprisingly well. I really like the way they drive offense together.

Really not a fan of Schmaltz. I know I'm in the minority there, but I'm concerned he's going to bust. He has some good skills, but also long stretches of laziness and a lot of bad decision making.

He's twenty. Give him some time to develop. Not like you should expect him to come in and light it up, especially at center.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006

A measured and thought out opinion on a 20 year old 11 games into his NHL career. :shakehead

Piffle

Oct 31, 2007
A measured and thought out opinion on a 20 year old 11 games into his NHL career. :shakehead

Sorry that not every post I make is as long and involved as 50's posts. But yes, it is a thought out opinion. I don't think he has the fire/drive to be a quality top 6 NHL player, and possibly not the hockey IQ either.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
You are entitled to your opinion, but it just seems a tad premature to have such an opinion after just 11 games. This sort of thinking is so prevalent on HFb, where unless the player is consistent and scoring at a good clip from the get go, they are thrown in the bust bin ASAP. Give them some time.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Hossa is finishing with Parnarin. His overall game has always been great. But if he starts scoring goals again ... wow!

Hossa finds his O. Great for the team.

Schmaltz needs to be more aggressive. The kid has skills but he needs to understand that NHL defensemen are far better than college players. He needs more time to develop before handling the puck like Kane. At least he can't play Harlem Globetrotters with Hartman and Tootoo.

Think he has a clue. Kid is getting the seasoning he needs at the level he needs. Fruits will be borne by the end of the season.

Motte's a keeper. This kid has skills. He could become another version of Sergei Krivokrasov who can actually finish.

+1

Looks like another high quality hit by the scouting department.

Moose and Hartman will be very good bottom six forwards in time. They can really grind. But they need time to mature.

+1

Moose has noticeably picked up his game in his 2nd season. His PK work has been VG too (since the dumpster fire).

Hartman is a work-in-progress. Certainly, looks like he'll stick. The seasoning is sure to pay dividends.

Toews still creates chances. I think he gets better as the season progresses AND the post season nears. As he gets older, he might be playing smarter. He might be pacing himself. I see the old Toews in short bursts. It's still there.

JT is a notoriously slow starter. Obviously, last season wasn't good, offensively. But he still had 30 goals. I think this idea that he's on an offensive decline is WAY premature (not directed at you). Pacing himself? Toews? Don't think so.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Sorry that not every post I make is as long and involved as 50's posts. But yes, it is a thought out opinion. I don't think he has the fire/drive to be a quality top 6 NHL player, and possibly not the hockey IQ either.

There is literally nothing wrong with his hockey IQ in the least. "Fire/drive" is possibly debatable at this point (I think it's more a matter of finding his way at the NHL level and not a lack of effort and I've been hard on him in the past with regard to his effort level) but there is nothing wrong with his hockey sense and intelligence. He sees the ice and reads/anticipates plays as well as just about anyone at any level he's been at. He's 11 games into his NHL career. Not everyone, in fact few, find their level immediately in their NHL careers. He's steadily improving and finding it bits at a time. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be in the lineup.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
There is literally nothing wrong with his hockey IQ in the least. "Fire/drive" is possibly debatable at this point (I think it's more a matter of finding his way at the NHL level and not a lack of effort and I've been hard on him in the past with regard to his effort level) but there is nothing wrong with his hockey sense and intelligence. He sees the ice and reads/anticipates plays as well as just about anyone at any level he's been at. He's 11 games into his NHL career. Not everyone, in fact few, find their level immediately in their NHL careers. He's steadily improving and finding it bits at a time. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be in the lineup.

x2

People need to give the kid some time. I was hard on him early in the first couple games, as he played poorly, but I still understood he was a rookie, and needed time to develop into the NHL game - the speed, intensity, and skill level of the opposition. He's progressively gotten better with every game, more confident with every game, and looks like he'll be a solid top 6 player. He sees the ice really well, IMO. . I can't wait to see him REALLY start to click at the NHL level, because I think he can be a seriously good setup guy. He's shown flashes of brilliance while making passes, and opening up ice. Not sure what that other poster is talking about as far as hockey IQ and vision. It looks good to me!

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

What's so promising about Schmaltz is his ability to hold the puck. Not everyone can do that in the NHL. I NEVER heard anyone question his hockey IQ before. He just can't play Harlem Globetrotters with Hartman and Tootoo as his linemates. For now, he needs to play more succinct and aggressively rather than waiting for the play to develop. He can't do that as a bottom six forward. As he matures and skate with players more 'suited' for skills, I think you'll see him blossom. But for now, he needs to learn to become more efficient as a hockey player.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Schmaltz should have been developing on Rockford...not learning on the job in the NHL.. I still think of we can sign John Hayden he will be a better solution on the 3rd line ...Schmaltz was never a proven goal scorer in the NCAA..more an assists guy ..but at the NHL level he has not really looked the playmaker part either..needs a lit more featured minutes of development time. .has to be either a top 2 line C or will be a bust ..doubt he turns himself into a bottom 2 line checking centre who can also chip in goals. ..Hayden much more suited to a 3C projection ..

What I would like to see is how they re-tool if theyy land Shipachyov when his KHL deal expires in December ...And where to use Desjardins. If Kruger is 3C you do not get much scoring from him anyway ...neither would you get that much scoring from Desjardins but he ought to be less deer in the headlights than Schmaltz as a 3 or 4 C depending on which one of those C roles is designated to Kruger.

Yes you can hope Schmaltz improves by playoffs..but if not then you have played a non-optimal lineup for shot suppression and it will be more hemmed in our own zone when Schmaltz is on. .He simply is not really "ready" and learning on the job is difficult to watch.

Anyway...Desjardins back probably by Sunday game and so probably Hinostrozza sent down to tge Rock...Schmaltz should be sent down too...has to get lots of minutes to see IF he improves as a pro ..or not..He should be in Rockford too at this stage.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
x2

People need to give the kid some time. I was hard on him early in the first couple games, as he played poorly, but I still understood he was a rookie, and needed time to develop into the NHL game - the speed, intensity, and skill level of the opposition. He's progressively gotten better with every game, more confident with every game, and looks like he'll be a solid top 6 player. He sees the ice really well, IMO. . I can't wait to see him REALLY start to click at the NHL level, because I think he can be a seriously good setup guy. He's shown flashes of brilliance while making passes, and opening up ice. Not sure what that other poster is talking about as far as hockey IQ and vision. It looks good to me!

He had a slowish start to his college career, too. Any time he's jumped a level there's been an adjustment period with gradual progress until all of a sudden he's a major factor in what's going on.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
x2

Seems like they intend to let him stick at center. He'll need to play with some guys who can finish to really show his value (not Ras and Tootoo).
A Schmaltz-Motte anchored third line has lots of potential moving forward. 3 years of cost-controlled play that should only improve as they gain experience.

If the Hawks stick with the current top-6 makeup, I don't see Schmaltz fitting into that LW spot with Toews and Kane, and that's okay. That's more of a spot for a power forward.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
That physicality is needed on that line though. Those awesome reverse hits put some threat against other top lines.

Meh, I think Motte can do the physical work and stand in front of the net. We don't need someone on that line that lays 4 or 5 hits a game. We just need someoneto help with the dirty work which Panik does, but I just feel like Motte would be a better fit for T & K.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Fiddy - didn't we already burn Schmaltz's ELC? And who are we going to replace Schmaltz with in the bottom six? The idea is to keep Tootoo (although he's played well) on the bench when Desjardins comes back. And let's not burn our limited cap flexibility so early in the season. As long as Schmaltz is getting close to 10 minutes per game, he's better off learning from Kane, Toews, Panarin, Hossa, etc.

BTW, if Schmaltz has potential to be a top 6 forward as you say ... he has the ability to be a bottom six forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad