GDT: Game #11- Kraken host the New Era Sabres 7pm PT

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I know outsiders look at our current record without watching us and think we suck, typical expansion team etc but the frustrating part is we've been in nearly every game/dominating many apart from the Flyers and Devils where we got smoked. We could have arguably 2/3 more wins and a tie if we had a bit more luck/offensive ability (Vegas tie, Vancouver, Rangers at least).

If we had those points we'd be looking at a play off push rather than basement dwelling. Hopefully if we beat the Coyotes we can start to climb a little.

Why was the game so chippy last night? Wouldn't expect Buffalo and Seattle to have beef. Feels like the eastern conference games have been more chippy than our division ones so far.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I know outsiders look at our current record without watching us and think we suck, typical expansion team etc but the frustrating part is we've been in nearly every game/dominating many apart from the Flyers and Devils where we got smoked. We could have arguably 2/3 more wins and a tie if we had a bit more luck/offensive ability (Vegas tie, Vancouver, Rangers at least).

If we had those points we'd be looking at a play off push rather than basement dwelling. Hopefully if we beat the Coyotes we can start to climb a little.

Why was the game so chippy last night? Wouldn't expect Buffalo and Seattle to have beef. Feels like the eastern conference games have been more chippy than our division ones so far.
- I agree about the assessment that our record does not really match the play on the ice. The lack of finishing is the main reason we have lost out on games. That and giving up some cheap goals almost game-to-game. The latter is not hard to overcome if we had enough scoring (which we do not). The first I feel is something coaching can fix.

- I am guessing about the chippiness but Buffalo is a team which has struggled a lot in recent years. They started off well this season and we truly dominated them in all aspects for majority of the game. May just have been frustration at the fact that they were getting run-over by a team like us who is the worst team in the Pacific.

I have seen enough hockey to not assume a win over the Coyotes is a given. But if the Kraken team that showed up yesterday shows up tomorrow, we should be just fine.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
- I agree about the assessment that our record does not really match the play on the ice. The lack of finishing is the main reason we have lost out on games. That and giving up some cheap goals almost game-to-game. The latter is not hard to overcome if we had enough scoring (which we do not). The first I feel is something coaching can fix.
I feel the exact opposite. You can't convert secondary scorers into stars just by giving them more ice time or PP time. This is a team that is going to need to work for their goals.

I think if they can fix their defensive lapses, then they can be a borderline playoff team. This team just gives up too many 2 on 3 situations where there's no forward back. (Did not happen last night though) The team needs to defend better in transition because the team doesn't have any "go to" scorers that can make up for mistakes. Eberle isn't gonna get a hatty every game.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Absolutely deserved this win but made it way too exciting by not scoring more earlier.

Grubauer seems to have a problem staying focused without a lot of shots against him but did make up with some solid saves during that late PK.

Overall you can't fault the team for the effort but like we've said many times over, there's just a lack of offense which keeps other teams in games they shouldn't have business being in.

Anyways, we'll take the win and now it's off to the desert to hopefully not be the first team that gives the Coyotes a win this season.

BTW: Taking a penalty against us and forcing us to a power play seems like a good strategy.
I didn't think it was possible but it got even worse and we're now spending the majority of it on the boards....

Last edited:

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021

It was pretty one sided (aside from Hayden) so I think it came from our coaches. Buffalo is soft, easy to intimidate and easy to knock off the puck, as they did. The game plan was bang them around a bit and dominate in front of the net. Buffalo can't play that way as you saw.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think we could use a little more of the chippiness that we saw last night on a regular basis, especially with guys hanging around near the crease trying to get in Grubauer's head. I'm not talking about gooning it up or anything...just making sure liberties aren't taken and if they are attempted, there is definite blowback from our guys.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I feel the exact opposite. You can't convert secondary scorers into stars just by giving them more ice time or PP time. This is a team that is going to need to work for their goals.

I think if they can fix their defensive lapses, then they can be a borderline playoff team. This team just gives up too many 2 on 3 situations where there's no forward back. (Did not happen last night though) The team needs to defend better in transition because the team doesn't have any "go to" scorers that can make up for mistakes. Eberle isn't gonna get a hatty every game.
Hope McCann is back soon he's a really good player for the Kraken and is a top 6 forward for certain

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Nobody is talking about converting secondary scorers into stars. I am not sure where you got that from. My point is that puck possession, SOG, Corsi for, etc. have been in our favor. They are definitely going to need to work hard for the goals (lack of talent) but my point is that the on-ice play is not representative of our standings.

I do agree with you about the issue with defense in transition. They seem to be caught out of position quite often though I do feel that they have got better with every game. I also think Grubauer has given up soft-goals a little more than we would like to which presents the same problem again. i.e lack of elite scoring to make up for these defensive lapses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad